The Student Room Group

14 year old murders his mother

Chilling and disgusted. This isn't the first time a child has copied soaps in violence either.

A teenager has been jailed for life for beating his mother to death with a hammer then setting light to her body in a “chilling” murder inspired by a Coronation Street
storyline.

Daniel Bartlam, who was 14 at the time of the murder, struck his mother Jacqueline seven times with a claw hammer after becoming obsessed with JohnStape - a soap opera character who killed a woman in a similar manner.

After the hammer attack, Bartlam poured petrol around the bedroom in which his mother had been sleeping then her body alight. Her body was so badly burned that investigators could only identify her remains from dental records.

After his arrest, officers found a deleted story about a character called Daniel Bartlam who killed his mother in the exact manner Jacqueline was killed. Activity on YouTube showed the teenager had watched clips from various soaps, as well as the horror film Saw, in the hours leading up to the murder.

Bartlam originally lied to police, telling officers that a burglar had broken in and killed his mother on Easter Monday 2011.

The teenager, from Redhill, Nottinghamshire, then claimed it was manslaughter, because he had simply lost his self-control, but a jury unanimously found him guilty of murder in February.

At Nottingham Crown Court today, Bartlam was detained for life and told he must serve a minimum of 16 years for a murder the judge described as the "grotesque" and "senseless”.

Judge Mr Julian Justice Flaux told the teenager it seemed like he wanted to get away with the "perfect murder".

After sentencing, lead investigator DCI Kate Meynall of Nottinghamshire Police called it a "shocking" and "chilling" case.

DCI Meynall added: "I have personally never dealt with something like this, and as a police officer this was an extremely shocking case, but the biggest impact has of course been on Jacqueline's family.

"The level of violence, degree of planning and extent of his lies is not only shocking, but it is also chilling that a boy of 14 could do this."

She added: "There is only one person who knows why it happened, and Daniel has lied consistently throughout, making attempts to besmirch Jacqueline's character. Everyone who knew her knew she lived for her children and was a warm, loving mother.

"Maybe one day Daniel will tell the truth, as there are several gaps that only he can fill."

In a statement, Mrs Bartlam's parents described their daughter as a "loving" and "caring" mother who would have done anything for her family.

They said: "Daniel attempted to make out during the trial that Jacqui was a bad mother, which couldn't be further from the truth. She loved her boys and would do anything for them.

"We are a very close family and it is hard to know how to deal with something like this. Twelve years ago we lost the youngest of our daughters and our eldest grandson in a car crash, and to have to go through this twice hurts more than words can say.

"We find it so hard to explain what we are going through. There are no winners here because not only have we lost Jacqui, but we have lost Daniel too because of what he's done.

"We know it was the right result at court but trying to understand how a boy you have loved for 14 years can do something like this is so difficult.

"To find out that Daniel planned to kill his own mother and then hear all the details, it is all so hard to believe. The most difficult part for us and something that only Daniel can answer is 'why?"'

Scroll to see replies

its a sick world out there

rip Jacqueline
Reply 2
Original post by Just Another Girly
its a sick world out there

rip Jacqueline

On BBC news it said he had a love for horror films and violence, and he was obsessed with the Corrination Street plot when John Stape murdered his mum. It does, to an extent prove a Behaviourist theory that says children follow violence etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Why is a 14-year old watching Saw?
Awful story. But the Daily Mail et al. will have a field day and potentially more repressive legislation regarding media will be introduced.
Reply 5
I'm guessing that there is more to this than is reported in the press.Ok maybe he wanted to kill his mother anyway and the Corrie storyline gave him an idea as to how he could do it.
There is a good BBC article I read on this 10mins ago... Completely disgusting act for the child to do, following horror movies and scenes... Can't believe someone would do this after a minor row.
Original post by Miracle Day
It does, to an extent prove a Behaviourist theory that says children follow violence etc.

i'm actually really disgusted that this has happened .......it's not right
It does, to an extent prove a Behaviourist theory that says children follow violence etc.

not really, this is far from a common occurrence and considering the amount of children who probably watch soaps one going off the handle and killing his mother in an attempt to emulate a character suggests the boy had severe problems that go well beyond what a behaviorist is qualified to diagnose.

Also the viewing of saw and clips of the coronation street character online seems to be a specific type of search about how people are killed which gives the impression the boy had already decided to kill his mother and was simply researching methods.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
wtf wow, how can someone have the mental capacity to do something like this...
:frown:... how horrible.
Reply 11
They should take Coronation Street off air, sue the producers. It is all their fault.
Reply 12
Original post by Darth Stewie
not really, this is far from a common occurrence and considering the amount of children who probably watch soaps one going off the handle and killing his mother in an attempt to emulate a character suggests the boy had severe problems that go well beyond what a behaviorist is qualified to diagnose.

Also the viewing of saw and clips of the coronation street character online seems to be a specific type of search about how people are killed which gives the impression the boy had already decided to kill his mother and was simply researching methods.

Yes but this is the far extent of what can be done as a result. It can also cause violence, etc.

I don't believe in the behaviourist approach, but I'm just putting forth the theory and let's be fair.. it does kind of back up what they say.
His face is even more chilling, he must not be sane in the head; millions of people around the world play violent video games and don't go out on a killing spree or in his case murdering your own mother...

This boy even wrote a fantasy story/script about a boy who killed his mother called Daniel (also his name) and it contained a detailed description about how the character Daniel kills his mother and tries to cover it up :K:
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes but this is the far extent of what can be done as a result. It can also cause violence, etc.

I don't believe in the behaviourist approach, but I'm just putting forth the theory and let's be fair.. it does kind of back up what they say.

But the article doesn't say he was a fan of coronation street only that he researched a murder plot line from the show at the same time he researched the film Saw and probably others. Researching such a specific type of clip heavily suggests the idea of killing was already in his mind and he was simply researching methods and possible ways of getting away with it.

Psychiatrists will probably be able to diagnose what went wrong to some extent but there is no evidence that coronation street inspired him to kill his mother or that without it he would have not killed her, only that one of the plot lines may have inspired his method of murder, without that he would probably have just used a screw driver or a sledgehammer.
(edited 12 years ago)
So messed up.
Reply 16
Original post by Darth Stewie
But the article doesn't say he was a fan of coronation street only that he researched a murder plot line from the show at the same time he researched the film Saw and probably others. Researching such a specific type of clip heavily suggests the idea of killing was already in his mind and he was simply researching methods and possible ways of getting away with it.

Psychiatrists will probably be able to diagnose what went wrong to some extent but there is no evidence that coronation street inspired him to kill his mother or that without it he would have not killed her, only that one of the plot lines may have inspired his method of murder, without that he would probably have just used a screw driver or a sledgehammer.

Oh sorry, the BBC news said he was obsessed with horror films, and obsessed with the Corrination Street plot. He wrote scripts based on the plot etc.

Yes, I know this. I'm just saying, perhaps violence inspires others to commit violence.
Reply 17
truly sickening, this child has serious serious problems and shouldnt ever be released for this.
Reply 18
How the hell is a 14 year old capable of carrying out such violence.
Reply 19
Either that boy is just evil or has a mental issue because he said his mum was a bad mother but all others say she wasnt. So clearly he just thought he mum was awful (i remember not liking my parents at all at his age) but something made him go far far beyond the norm and murder his mother.. if you ask me i think there is something mentally wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending