The Student Room Group

14 year old murders his mother

Scroll to see replies

at least this thread isn't about Islam. *phew*
Original post by Alyss05
Either that boy is just evil or has a mental issue because he said his mum was a bad mother but all others say she wasnt. So clearly he just thought he mum was awful (i remember not liking my parents at all at his age) but something made him go far far beyond the norm and murder his mother.. if you ask me i think there is something mentally wrong.

It doesn't take a psychologist to come to that conclusion :cool:
Original post by Miracle Day
It does, to an extent prove a Behaviourist theory that says children follow violence etc.

Are you honestly saying that he wouldn't have done it if he hadn't seen this on the soap?
Reply 23
Original post by kohler1994
Are you honestly saying that he wouldn't have done it if he hadn't seen this on the soap?

I'm not sure. But his love of horror films, and violence definitely had a huge impact.

But obviously he got his killing method from Corrination Street.
Reply 24
It doesn't take a soap to teach you that smashing someone round the head with a hammer can kill...
I read the article on BBC news and it was said that he had typed out "his fantasy" of murdering his mother on his computer, before even committing the crime. This is pretty sickening, but it is also a complex case and it seems to me that this boy has some mental health issues, conduct disorder or at least diminished capacity to discern why "killing your mother" is a bad thing, let alone killing anyone. I don't know about anyone else, but the way he lied and his actions afterwards make me think that he didn't understand the gravity or the repercussions of his actions. He is after all 14 years old. What worries me is, what were the conditions that set up to even contemplate something like this? TV? Bad friends? Music? Books? :-|
Oh sorry, the BBC news said he was obsessed with horror films, and obsessed with the Corrination Street plot. He wrote scripts based on the plot etc.

Yes, I know this. I'm just saying, perhaps violence inspires others to commit violence.

I'm not doubting that the coronation street plot had some effect on him but its a big leap from him getting an idea of how to brutally murder his mother from a plot line to the plot line actually inspiring him to murder his mother.

The kid clearly has issues but this kind of thing is far from common and his obsession with horror films and the coronation street plot seem to be a result of him wanting to kill and as a result can't be realistically be blamed on those films or coronation street.
I'm not sure. But his love of horror films, and violence definitely had a huge impact.

But obviously he got his killing method from Corrination Street.

Granted he got his method from there but i'm pretty sure if he wanted to kill her, he would have done it anyway.
Reply 28
I hope he dies a painful death
Original post by medic_armadillo7
I read the article on BBC news and it was said that he had typed out "his fantasy" of murdering his mother on his computer, before even committing the crime. This is pretty sickening, but it is also a complex case and it seems to me that this boy has some mental health issues, conduct disorder or at least diminished capacity to discern why "killing your mother" is a bad thing, let alone killing anyone. I don't know about anyone else, but the way he lied and his actions afterwards make me think that he didn't understand the gravity or the repercussions of his actions. He is after all 14 years old. What worries me is, what were the conditions that set up to even contemplate something like this? TV? Bad friends? Music? Books? :-|

It's scary to think that someone at such a young age could do such a thing. Like you say, there must be something which made him like this. Most 14 year old boys probably play just as many violent games and watch just as many violent movies, TV programs and so on. I'm pretty sure though that none of them would have ever considered anything like this.
Original post by criminal
I hope he dies a painful death
Why don't you do him over with a hammer then? Then you could be the same as him :smile:
On BBC news it said he had a love for horror films and violence, and he was obsessed with the Corrination Street plot when John Stape murdered his mum. It does, to an extent prove a Behaviourist theory that says children follow violence etc.

Or that he was obsessed with violence, so naturally gravitated towards those types of media...

Chicken, or egg? You can't draw conclusions from something as insubstantial as that
Reply 33
Original post by Zhy
They should take Coronation Street off air, sue the producers. It is all their fault.

What? How is it their fault? Even if they gave him the idea it takes an evil maniac to actually carry it out like he did. It's not like every 14 year old will watch the soap and think to do the same thing.
Reply 34
Original post by Architecture-er
Or that he was obsessed with violence, so naturally gravitated towards those types of media...

Chicken, or egg? You can't draw conclusions from something as insubstantial as that

One does not simply become obsessed with Violence.

Something would have made him become obsessed with violence, there is no chicken or the egg here.
It seemed very calculated and the BBC report suggests he was quite devious and deceitful afterwards.

Psychologists and those more qualified can examine all the evidence, but he could simply be an evil bastard and I'm a strong believer that anyone in their teens is a young adult and shouldn't be tried as a child.
Reply 36
its just disgraceful what some kids are capable of
One does not simply become obsessed with Violence.

Something would have made him become obsessed with violence, there is no chicken or the egg here.

Errm heard of sociopaths? Psychopaths? People incapable of emphathising with other humans, and see them merely as mindless drones in a world of consumerism? People who simply do not care what happens to other people, so wouldn't think twice of killing them just because they were annoying, or to 'put them out of their misery'?

History is littered with such people, and TV is only a recent concept. What did Jack the Ripper do, watch violent puppet shows?
Original post by kohler1994
It's scary to think that someone at such a young age could do such a thing. Like you say, there must be something which made him like this. Most 14 year old boys probably play just as many violent games and watch just as many violent movies, TV programs and so on. I'm pretty sure though that none of them would have ever considered anything like this.

Yeah, it's almost unthinkable isn't it? - that a child brutally murders his loving mother. It's unusual simply because he's come from a loving background. There's no record of abuse or mistreatment within the family.
Reply 39
Original post by Architecture-er
Errm heard of sociopaths? Psychopaths? People incapable of emphathising with other humans, and see them merely as mindless drones in a world of consumerism? People who simply do not care what happens to other people, so wouldn't think twice of killing them just because they were annoying, or to 'put them out of their misery'?

History is littered with such people, and TV is only a recent concept. What did Jack the Ripper do, watch violent puppet shows?

I'm pretty sure they'd have done psychological tests on the child to make sure such things aren't the case. And I'm sure if it was, we'd know. Obviously I know about those reasons you stated, hormonal imbalances etc.. but it doesn't seem fitting in this case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending