The Student Room Group

14 year old murders his mother

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .eXe
Mate if there was something inherently wrong with him, then I would not want him to be executed.

It wouldn't be his fault then...because it would be an inherent problem.

I am arguing that there is nothing inherently wrong with him and that's my basis for wanting him executed.

Hope it's clearer now.

So you don't think he is a psychopath then? Where has this streak of 'evil' come from then, if not from the outside sources of coronation street/horror films etc?

Edit: What is psychosis, and what would you define him as? (I am genuinely curious with my questions b.t.w, you can't tell on the internet :tongue:)

I googled psychosis, 'loss of contact with reality', so you think he was aware of his actions then?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
So you don't think he is a psychopath then? Where has this streak of 'evil' come from then, if not from the outside sources of coronation street/horror films etc?

Read my edit please.
Reply 82
Also, for all those wondering what psychosis is, here is a definition:

A severe mental disorder in which thought and emotions are so impaired that contact is lost with external reality.

Note the bolded text.

This kid made up lies to make it look like someone else had killed his mom and then he tried to say that his mom was a bad person. He clearly had not lost contact with reality because in reality he knew that what he had done was wrong and that he would have to face the consequences. He was not psychotic. Case closed.
Reply 83
Original post by Miracle Day
On BBC news it said he had a love for horror films and violence, and he was obsessed with the Corrination Street plot when John Stape murdered his mum. It does, to an extent prove a Behaviourist theory that says children follow violence etc.

No, it doesn't.
Reply 84

Edit: What is psychosis, and what would you define him as? (I am genuinely curious with my questions b.t.w, you can't tell on the internet :tongue:)

I googled psychosis, 'loss of contact with reality', so you think he was aware of his actions then?

I know you're serious, which is why I am trying to give you proper responses :smile: Please read my previous post explaining what psychosis actually is.
Reply 85

Yes it does.

Anyway, I've already had this argument so don't bother quoting me.
Original post by .eXe
Read my edit please.

I have. I would say read mine, but since I am here, where did this behaviour come from, if not from an outside source (Coronation street/Horror films etc.)? If you believe he was fully in control of his actions?
I think this is not so much a demonstration of violence in the media causing someone to commit a violent crime as it is a demonstration of the fact that an individual with violent fantasies will seek to take their inspiration from anything they can get their hands on. Coronation Street? Really?
Reply 88
I have. I would say read mine, but since I am here, where did this behavior come from, if not from an outside source (Coronation street/Horror films etc.)? If you believe he was fully in control of his actions?

When people want something, they go to all sorts of lengths to achieve it. This is true irrespective of age. When children or even young adults want something they cannot get, they get fussy, cry, scream, get angry, give the silent treatment, etc, etc. All of this is done in an attempt to convince the other party to provide whatever it is that they want. This kid wanted to feel the power or the thrill associated with murdering someone in a way that someone he looked up to did.

He knew what he wanted was wrong. At 14, everyone knows that murder is wrong and so did this kid. So he decided to concoct a secret plan to commit this murder. Now he lived with his own mother...the easiest target because there would be no distrust and he would have the perfect opportunity to commit his act as she slept.

Everything worked perfectly for his plan and he decided to commit the act. In doing do, I am sure he got the thrills and excitement he was seeking. But he also realized that there would be consequences. So, he decided to make up lies in order to remove the blame from his head.

No part of this entire description demonstrated psychosis on any level whatsoever. And it's a very plausible (and pretty much accurate) description of what actually took place.
He wanted to carry out the perfect murder and chooses John Stape as his inspiration? John was the worst murderer ever! Anyone who is trying to blame Coronation Street for this clearly hasn't seen enough of it - John was a walking disaster.
Original post by .eXe
When people want something, they go to all sorts of lengths to achieve it. This is true irrespective of age. When children or even young adults want something they cannot get, they get fussy, cry, scream, get angry, give the silent treatment, etc, etc. All of this is done in an attempt to convince the other party to provide whatever it is that they want. This kid wanted to feel the power or the thrill associated with murdering someone in a way that someone he looked up to did.

He knew what he wanted was wrong. At 14, everyone knows that murder is wrong and so did this kid. So he decided to concoct a secret plan to commit this murder. Now he lived with his own mother...the easiest target because there would be no distrust and he would have the perfect opportunity to commit his act as she slept.

Everything worked perfectly for his plan and he decided to commit the act. In doing do, I am sure he got the thrills and excitement he was seeking. But he also realized that there would be consequences. So, he decided to make up lies in order to remove the blame from his head.

No part of this entire description demonstrated psychosis on any level whatsoever. And it's a very plausible (and pretty much accurate) description of what actually took place.

Yeah, that makes sense actually, and it is a really scary thought. :frown:
Reply 91
I don't blame him to be honest. Mothers can be right pains in the asses sometimes, and don't deny that you've considered it.
This really annoys me.
If he had been playing violent games, instead of watching violent soaps, then there would be uproar about how games make people kill and stuff. Yet because its soaps, no one bats an eyelid. Talk about double standards.

Original post by Miracle Day
On BBC news it said he had a love for horror films and violence, and he was obsessed with the Corrination Street plot when John Stape murdered his mum. It does, to an extent prove a Behaviourist theory that says children follow violence etc.

Except 99.9% of children did not go out and copy that violence.
Original post by ArtGoblin
He wanted to carry out the perfect murder and chooses John Stape as his inspiration? John was the worst murderer ever! Anyone who is trying to blame Coronation Street for this clearly hasn't seen enough of it - John was a walking disaster.

Haha...I thought exactly the same. The guy was a bumbling fool that killed people by accident half the time.

Seriously, no serial killer would look at John Stape as an inspiration.
Original post by Stefan1991
Child has problems. Problems caused by environment he was brought up in. Children not fully responsible for their own actions. So instead of helping said child with problems, you lock them in jail for life.

Makes sense.

Any evidence that this was the result of the environment he was brought up in?
No?
Thought not.
Reply 95
Original post by George Agdgdgwngo
Why don't you do him over with a hammer then? Then you could be the same as him :smile:

I wouldn't actually mind George. Anyway, hows life treating you? have you found any more pigeons in bank accounts?
Original post by .eXe

Edit: also, please don't say he is a psychopath. That hasn't been proven yet. It's going to take weeks of psychological analysis before he can be declared a clinical psychopath and trust me...it's not going to happen. Psychopaths commit crimes under a level of psychosis or mental lack of control. They don't plan out murders and carry them out and then make up lies to make the victim look like the bad person. That's not psychosis.

Well, he could be psychopath or a sociopath. He probably has some sort of personality disorder since his actions are similar to those killers in the past.

It is incorrect to say Psychopaths do not plan out murders and carry them out. I am not sure how you reached such a conclusion.

Also, I don't know why you are talking about psychosis. Psychopaths do not necessarily have episodes of psychosis or vice versa. They are very different.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Alpharius
He evidently has something wrong with him. To kill anyone in cold blood is something, and to have planned how to cover it up another, but to do it to your mother...

Must be clinically insane. I'm no expert, but psychosis would fit the bill.

I wouldn't have him in prison, more a mental home.

He didn't have psychosis. He is probably a psychopath or socio-path that probably will need to be locked up for the rest of his life for the protection of society.
Reply 98
Original post by doomhalo
This guy went to my school (the state school he went to after the private one) and was 4 years below me. Was very odd when it happened, everyone knew it was him when they found out she'd been murdered but he couldn't be named. Seems odd that they've released his name now.

Was he known to be a bit off-beat? Did he have many friends? So mucked up.
Reply 99

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending