The Student Room Group

How harsh is plagiarism?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Plagiarism is copying other peoples work. If you so much as copy one letter of the English, Greek, Russian or Punjabi alphabet in your coursework, you have copied someone else's work and are a plagiarist for LIFE. If you say one word of a language out loud without making reference to the person who created it (who we do not know and cannot quote without using his words) then you have copied his language. This is IMPOSSIBLE and therefore we are all damned plagiarists. You will never be forgiven for your act of plagiarism in making this post.

May the fleas of one thousand camels infest your carpets.

I am not a hypocrite because I have devised my own language and I am translating it for your benefit.
Reply 21
Right. A quick update.

I handed in both of my essays to my teachers today. I am doing AQA so there was one on a set text and a comparative one.

The essay that was the subject of this thread was the set text one (ours was Fingersmith by Sarah Waters).
I gave my teacher the essay and the websites I wanted referencing on my coursework submission sheet thingymjig. I gave the the exact links and shortened versions as I wasn't sure what would suffice.

Am I all clear?
Reply 22
Sorry gonna have to bump this again as I'm slightly panicking.

If I've referenced everything that could potentially be seen as plagiarism, I'll be okay?
Reply 23
Upload your essay to a blog or something and run it through copyscape.com. Good luck with your elusive plagiarism goals in 2012 and beyond.
Reply 24
Original post by U4EA
Upload your essay to a blog or something and run it through copyscape.com. Good luck with your elusive plagiarism goals in 2012 and beyond.

Thanks for that idea.

Not quite sure what you're getting at in the second sentence, I'm simply being cautious so that I don't get accused of plagiarising my inspiration sources for my essay.
If you've referenced correctly, you will not be accused of plagiarism. It's relatively unlikely in this scenario anyway, as you've paraphrased.
Reply 26
Original post by alexmagpie
If you've referenced correctly, you will not be accused of plagiarism. It's relatively unlikely in this scenario anyway, as you've paraphrased.

I've referenced several essays I've read online. Not in the harvard referencing way, but asked my teacher to include the links in the coursework administration form (whether she has or not is to be seen). Nothing in my essay has been copied although the lines of influence seem blurry to me.

Alarm bells were ringing this morning as my other literature teacher randomly made a big point about plagiarism (not sure why as the deadline is now passed) and it kind of got me worried. (Yes I'm probably being overly paranoid about this).
If the deadline has gone and you've handed in, there's no point in worrying about it any more.

If your teacher has seen and she didn't say anything, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending