Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Manchester United Thread IX

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Won't be the first time he's been in hot water.
    Ouch.

(too far tbh).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsunami2011)
    People on this thread are too quick to mock and neg. Scholes is a top notch player, but in a sense it is papering over the cracks. Relying on a 37 year old to pull our strings in midfield would not bode well in the latter stages of the Champions league.
    True, but it's hardly bad business, and it can only be called papering over the cracks if by the end of the transfer window we haven't signed another midfielder. Hopefully Kagawa will be on his way, we'll get a proper DM and Cleverly won't be injured the entire season. Would love to sign someone like Modric so we could play a midfield three of Kagawa (up top), Modric a little more advanced in CM ahead of Carrick in front of the defence. I think Cleverly can also play that role as the head of a midfield three, or in a midfield two with someone like Carrick or Modric. People have to take into consideration that the injury list this year was abnormally large - Fletcher and Vidic out almost the entire season, Anderson and Cleverly out most of it too, meaning three of our first team midfielders barely had 10 games each. Anyway, I think if we add Kagawa and another versatile midfielder we should be fine. Considering how tight funds are, what do people think of choosing between someone like Modric and a midfield destroyer/someone to protect the defense? Given the lack of options we have in CM it would really be good to hold on to Pogba who actually looks like he has the physicality and intelligence to play not only as a CM who drives forward but also as a DM capable of starting counter attacks quickly from the back - probably why Juventus are so keen to sign him up tbh. Also explains why SAF has been so patient in trying to re-sign him, rather than just getting rid for as much as he can before his contract expires.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    RIP Fergie sign is disgraceful in my opinion. But it's typical of City really - more happy that United did not win the title than the fact they themselves won it. Small club mentality - you don't get rid of it overnight.
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    Scholes has been quallity. I wouldn't care if he was 60 years of age, if he still had the ability and was consistently churning out top performances he would be in the Man Utd starting XI.

Like Giggs, SAF has to learn to use him in the appropriate matches. I don't think it's papering over cracks when Pogba is refusing to sign a new contract (and it's most likely nothing to do with the amount of football he's getting) and Cleverley and Anderson have shown promising signs but struggle to truly make their mark because of injury problems. He's a quality player, plain and simple. We've tried to replace him but he is irreplaceable.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just seen the highlights from your game on Sky Player.

Credit Mignolet, he made a cracking double save from Scholes & Giggs, though Rooney should definitely have scored more.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    David Gill's statement if anyones interested.

David Gill admits he is still recovering from the devastating blow in the title race but has stressed that moves are already afoot to bring in new players during the summer.

The chief executive has confirmed there is cash for Sir Alex Ferguson to spend to improve his squad and targets have already been identified.

“It turned into a very difficult afternoon but that’s football for you,” said Gill, recalling Sunday's events. “We’ve had a great season, got 89 points and the title has never been decided on goal difference before. All the players and staff can be very proud of what they’ve achieved.

“I do think everyone at the club, from Alex down, agree we underperformed in Europe this year. We felt confident of getting out of our Champions League group and the Europa League was new for us and took some getting used to. But it demonstrates the high standards set for this club.

“The very fact we finished second and no team has come second with 89 points means we’ve got a lot to be proud of. We’ve got to move on and I’m sure we’ll come back fighting next year.”

When discussing moves on the transfer front, the chief executive is awaiting developments over the course of the summer.

“The manager, Jim Lawlor and the scouting team, everyone is looking at it and discuss it throughout the period,” he explained. “Obviously, the work intensifies now in terms of actually doing deals and we’ve identified players so let’s see what happens.

“It’s a 365-day-a-year job that talent is always on our radar but the paperwork is done in the close season and transfer window – we can sort out the deals beforehand and get them moving.”

In terms of competition from Manchester City at the head of the market, he replied: “We have to sell what this club is about. We still pay very well in terms of transfer fees and wages. City have raised the bar again and we’ve seen what they’re prepared to pay for players and to players but we’ll see what’s happening with the financial fair play and how that’s implemented and what the sanctions are going to be.

“It’s interesting. We should recognise we’re a very successful club, one of the top three in terms of turnover in world football and it generates a lot of cash to invest in players. We will continue to do so and our style is both buying players and giving youth a chance.

“Without doubt [there is money to spend]. We recognise we spent quite a bit of money last summer when we bought Phil Jones, David De Gea and Ashley Young and we understand that. I think we’ll be looking in the next few months and there could be some interesting developments.

“Come August, we’ll have got new players, had the Euros, the players will be back, we will have been on tour and start again. That’s the beauty of football. Everyone starts on zero points and we’ve got to step up to the mark and do well.”
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    David Gill's statement if anyones interested.
    If David Gill told me the sky was blue at this point I'd check out the window to make sure.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    If David Gill told me the sky was blue at this point I'd check out the window to make sure.
    Think I would too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    German's leading sports magazine Kicker is reporting that Kagawa flew to Manchester last night with his agent for negotiations with United officials after rejecting Borussia Dortmund’s final offer.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hazard to City & Kagawa to Utd looks like the most likely moves.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35912_10150885691748711_759263710_9606693_1525544656_n.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	148116

:teehee:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)

Burn
    • 63 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)

That was from Rooney's fake twitter account.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unlucky on the title boys, have come to accept our rivalry with you isn't what it once was and would probably rather have seen you lift the trophy than City. If you can get hold of Kagawa and a couple of other players (I heard Fergie was supposedly looking at Piszczek too?) I reckon you'll be a lot stronger going into next season, not sure it'll be strong enough to keep up with City but there's no doubt you'll be there or thereabouts again. :yy:

(Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Rooney should definitely have scored more.
    I've felt that this has been the case a fair few times I've watched Utd lately - his positioning and service can be excellent but the final product is often lacking.

Is this a common theme in his play of late or just a coincidence that it's happened more frequently when I've watched you guys?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im loving all the Teves love from the City fans. It was not long ago they were calling for his head! Fickle.

Looks like Kagawa might be joining then. A step in the right direction

Another mid and Vidic back from injury could really put us in for the next title and a good run in the Champions League.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK.)
    Unlucky on the title boys, have come to accept our rivalry with you isn't what it once was and would probably rather have seen you lift the trophy than City. If you can get hold of Kagawa and a couple of other players (I heard Fergie was supposedly looking at Piszczek too?) I reckon you'll be a lot stronger going into next season, not sure it'll be strong enough to keep up with City but there's no doubt you'll be there or thereabouts again. :yy:

I've felt that this has been the case a fair few times I've watched Utd lately - his positioning and service can be excellent but the final product is often lacking.

Is this a common theme in his play of late or just a coincidence that it's happened more frequently when I've watched you guys?
    He is capable, but seems very rarely to be in that zone of concentration you need to to be in to capitalise on every half-chance that comes your way as a forward - he normally has it until he scores the first goal (as against Sunderland) and then it's as if he knows he doesn't have to score and suddenly his finishing just becomes less clinical. It's very strange. Or, for example, if we are behind by say 2 goals, and he gets the opportunity, he will almost certainly score, but if we're 2-0 up he seems less likely to put one away. I guess he just lacks that truly ruthless streak in front of goal that some players are blessed with - truth is he could have scored 4 goals the other day but only scored 1 (Hit the bar, missed from 4 yards out, one-on-one with the keeper + the goal he did score). Of those chances I think he should definitely have scored from close range (the finish was sloppy for someone of his standards, he was trying to be too clever and it backfired) and should probably have scored in the one-on-one, though in fairness to the keeper he did very well in that situation, came out quick and made himself big, and Rooney also had a few defenders breathing down his neck. SAF said it himself the other day - we miss far too many chances, we're too charitable to our opponents. I'm really hoping that next season Welbeck will have improved his finishing and Hernandez will find a bit of form, but I'd also love to see Rooney be truly ruthless in front of goal - I think he has all the attributes to bag 30+ goals a season in the league alone. I mean, he wasn't far off this season and if he'd scored those chances on Sunday would have been level with Van Persie on 30 - but perhaps because we have played him in a more withdrawn role behind the striker this year he has felt it is not his primary responsibility to score goals. Above everything else I just feel Rooney hasn't hit the ceiling of his potential yet, and I keep hoping that he will have a season where everything really comes together for him.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    ...Im loving all the Teves love from the City fans. It was not long ago they were calling for his head! ...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK.)
    Very common. Hes not a natural finisher

Kagawa would be a terrific buy but I'm guessing Arsenal will also be in the hunt for him. Gutted to be losing out on M'Vila. Pogbas agent saying hes nearing a move
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JK.)

Rooney's strength is his movement. His awareness and manipulation of space is incredible, he's portrayed as an idiot off the field and but on the field he's actually remarkably intelligent. It's the main reason for his versatility, he has led the line and played as a playmaking forward (verging on attacking midfielder) and hasn't been too far off the best in the world in either position. Filled in at CM and on the wing with great effect too.

But he doesn't really have an outstanding technical attribute. He's a good finisher but it's a bit patchy, how often he takes chances seems to vary throughout the season. Similarly he's a good passer, capable of the spectacular but also capable of misplacing simple passes.

It did feel like he was missing more chances towards the end of the season but he's not consistently clinical in the same way that, say, Van Persie is. I'm not as shocked when I see Rooney miss a sitter than if Van Persie/Gomez did. It's his movement that puts him up around that level.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Akkuz)
    Hazard to City & Kagawa to Utd looks like the most likely moves.
    I'm quite glad we aren't going for Hazard. He seems to have quite the attitude + we have enough wingers. Dortmund confirmed today that Kagawa's not signing a new contract. I would much rather Götze though. Kagawa was invisible before Götze got injured.

With Fergie being at the final between Bayern and Dortmund. Reports suggest he was looking at Hummels, Kagawa and Lewondowski. I'd love Hummels, would rate him as one of the best CB's in football today.
Updated: December 31, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.