Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Manchester United Thread IX

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Almost forget about Powell, heh, was excited to see the club website saying he will have a major role in the tour.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Powell should be loaned out. Maybe to a Championship team, Leicster, Bolton?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC ChaCha A810e
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    Powell should be loaned out. Maybe to a Championship team, Leicster, Bolton?

Bolton isn't a bad shout actually.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I hope we keep him up until January then maybe loan him out in the second half of the season. I'm sure he'll get a decent number of games, and we can integrate him into the club/culture. I presume he'll play all the League Cup games, and might make a few sub appearances in a few league games. We'll obviously have the usual injury crisis with our midfielders so he might even get a few more games.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matteh. :D)
    Bolton isn't a bad shout actually.
    I know, they developed Wilshere and Sturridge a lot.

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    I know, they developed Wilshere and Sturridge a lot.

They play in more conventional, for lack of a better word, positions though. I know Wilshere's slightly more attacking but he can play at cm, and Sturridge as a striker. Powell, on the other hand, is definitely an attacking midfielder, so it's hard to see where he'd fit in at a lot of clubs without being chucked out on the wing which would be bad for all parties.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No transfer rumours of late (besides the usual Baines rumour). Hope SAF has something up his sleeve for central midfield and left back..:teeth:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetstephen)
    They play in more conventional, for lack of a better word, positions though. I know Wilshere's slightly more attacking but he can play at cm, and Sturridge as a striker. Powell, on the other hand, is definitely an attacking midfielder, so it's hard to see where he'd fit in at a lot of clubs without being chucked out on the wing which would be bad for all parties.
    True, could maybe develop as a CM or even up-front? He would fit in well just behind the striker, kinda like Young played for England.

• 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Subbed..

(Original post by Akkuz)
    No transfer rumours of late (besides the usual Baines rumour). Hope SAF has something up his sleeve for central midfield and left back..:teeth:
    Yeah the Baines links are getting stronger by the day, even if it's mainly the Mirror reporting it. For the price banded about though(15m), i wouldn't want him. Really liked the look of Moutinho at the Euros. He could be a decent alternative to Modric, if he as expected does go to Madrid.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Link to the Baines and Moutinho rumours. No quotes though. Also, does anyone know when the full squad for the Pre-season tour is announced?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I just don't want Baines full stop. I wouldn't want Baines in the squad if he cost £2m. In Evra we had a world class player, a player who was in the top 3 in the world in his position. That sadly isn't true anymore, but the answer is certainly not to buy a guy like Baines. Alba would have been great, but he is the type of signing we should be looking at, more talented than Baines and younger. I'd prefer to get real youngster and mix him with Evra than buy a sub standard replacement.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    I just don't want Baines full stop. I wouldn't want Baines in the squad if he cost £2m. In Evra we had a world class player, a player who was in the top 3 in the world in his position. That sadly isn't true anymore, but the answer is certainly not to buy a guy like Baines. Alba would have been great, but he is the type of signing we should be looking at, more talented than Baines and younger. I'd prefer to get real youngster and mix him with Evra than buy a sub standard replacement.
    I agree, don't rate him at all. Atleast there would be a decent free kick taker in the team again. That's probably about the only positive, besides him adding to the English core. Alba sadly was always going to go to Barcelona, just annoying if we end up buying Baines for the price that's been rumoured. Lots of people think it's going to happen soon, & there were reports today that Everton are getting Pranjic on a free to replace Baines aswell.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Baines is horrendously overrated and if he moved to United I imagine he would be found out pretty quickly.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    There was close to **** all chance of us ever signing Alba - even if us and Valencia had both begged him to come here instead of Barcelona there was no chance he was going to turn them down. That's the case with most players when Barcelona and Madrid are involved, and has been for a while now.

Other options available are Coentrao - who's actually pretty poor himself and would cost a lot of money. Other one is potentially Criscito, Monreal and Schmelzer of the top of my head.

Criscito's been heavily involved in that match fixing controversy but also happens to play for Zenit - who won't let him go for anything cheap as he's only just recently joined them. He's also around 25-26 years old so not exactly young. Same with Monreal who plays for Malaga. Schmelzer plays for Borrussia and I can't see them let another one of their better young talents go this season.

So there's not exactly a massive pool of left backs to select from. I'd rather we get Baines who's actually good at something - he's excellent going forward and one of the best crossers in the premier league. Evra is dreadful going forward (he makes the right runs, but his final ball is **** and that was always the case), and his defensive work has got worse throughout these past few seasons. If there's a better option than Baines available I hope we get them, but I'd rather see Baines in our line up next season than Evra.
    • 6 followers

Does anyone know what's been happening with the Zeki Fryers situation?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Alba's having a good game for Spain. Even if he were to move on to Barcelona eventually i would have liked to have him for a couple of seasons at least. Baines wouldn't be a great buy or a bad buy, not happy with the amounts being quoted. Hope we're not done with our summer spending. We usually do our spending early on so wouldnt be surprise if thats our spending done.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanLim93)
    Alba's having a good game for Spain. Even if he were to move on to Barcelona eventually i would have liked to have him for a couple of seasons at least. Baines wouldn't be a great buy or a bad buy, not happy with the amounts being quoted. Hope we're not done with our summer spending. We usually do our spending early on so wouldnt be surprise if thats our spending done.
    It won't be, now the Euro's are almost over more things will happen.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just realised - during BBC commentary - that Alba was a Barcelona player first and similiar to Fabregas, they've now brought him back home after he's excelled away. So puts it into perspective that even if we'd had a bid accepted for him, he was always heading to Barca.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Montolivo has looked good this tournament if the price is right we should get him over modric
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diggy)
    Montolivo has looked good this tournament if the price is right we should get him over modric
    He's just joined Milan on a bosman.
Updated: December 31, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.