Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Manchester United Thread IX

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ledleyking123)
    For the last 5 or 6 seasons all I have ever heard is we will buy such and such a guy from the likes of gill. It never happens so why do people think we will now?

We have needed a CM for an eternity
    I don't think that is quite true, when we had a Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez attack the midfield wasn't so much of an issue as their responsibilities were limited. We did need a DM to help us in Europe and we got a very expensive one in Hargreaves, injuries aside, he was brilliant for us, £17m for a DM, that's before the recent price spike of the last 2-3 season. We spend when we need to.

I think that time is now. The Glazers rely on the commercial side of things, you get that from on the pitch success. You can only demand these crazy sponsor deals while you are the biggest fish. United lost £20m from the CL TV money, I imagine Swiss Ramble will have better figures. When it starts costing on the pitch success you will see United splash the cash. Its hardly like United got a bad group this year, we could have had the likes of Napoli to contend with.

Second issue is Fergie loves building teams, and the last CL trophy is what I think he wants, if he's denied the resources he feels he needs to get that, I think with Scholes and Giggs, he could call it a day, which would be an even bigger headache.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    As for last night, fortune favours the brave. I think we had the team to beat City or draw with goals, I don't think we have the defence to soak up that attack. We deserved what we got. Its only at the tail end of this season I started to really believe anyway, to put it simply Mancini should have won with that squad, and when his nearest rivals have their Captain and best CB in front of a new keeper out, then it makes that job all the easier. City have done as I expected games wise, we have done better.
    This bit is very true. Manchester City weren't even firing off all cylinders, we were just that poor. When they took of Tevez, we should have gone gung-ho, but we were still playing like the game was 0-0. I just think the team selection was all wrong, I'm probably one of the few who think Park especially in the first half, did well in hurrying and rushing city, but just offered nothing going forward, but Giggs was just a terrible move.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also, kit deal negotiation will be during next season. And kit deals are only big money if theres big players to model it as well as big team. They want record fees for the new kit deal and to do so will probably have to bring in a big name to supplement Rooney.

On this note, I'd much prefer a move to adidas for the new deal, Nike kits are all horrible. Next years one is proof. Absolute filth. Then you look at Madrid's one, simple and elegant. Same with AC. Here's hoping.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hope Welbeck's injury doesn't rule him out of the Euros. The challenge from De Jong was a nasty one, caught him on the back of his shin and then sprained his ankle it seemed, careless. But hope Danny makes it to the Euros because Roy likes a 4-4-2, and he should get the chance to replicate his club partnership with Rooney.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rorydaredking)
    On this note, I'd much prefer a move to adidas for the new deal, Nike kits are all horrible. Next years one is proof. Absolute filth. Then you look at Madrid's one, simple and elegant. Same with AC. Here's hoping.
    I know someone who begs to differ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trikot.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	145410
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU)
    Do you have highlights of that game by any chance?
    Thanks.
    There were no highlights to the game whatsoever, save yourself the time and don't bother. Dreadful 90 minutes of football.

(Original post by nonotrly)
    Wigan are weird, I wouldn't use them as evidence for anything. One day they'll lose 9-0 to Rotheram, next week they'll beat Barcelona 5-1.
    Haha true, I still think if they played all season the way they do in the last few games every year they'd actually be a decent club!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Right, what's going on with pre-season then? No tours announced this time out, originally the plan after the commercial success of the US tour last year was to go to South-East Asia for a series of games in July but that's kinda been shelved due to Olympics/Euros/other.

Rumours of a friendly in June at the Bernabeu with Real Madrid are going around but there's no conformation from either club. Also heard that there's a possibility of playing Ole Solskjaer's FK Molde if they can get all the details worked out in time. That would be a smart move for the club commercially.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    SAF said Vidic wouldn't be going on the pre season tour, as if to say there was going to be one.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IanDangerously)
    Right, what's going on with pre-season then? No tours announced this time out, originally the plan after the commercial success of the US tour last year was to go to South-East Asia for a series of games in July but that's kinda been shelved due to Olympics/Euros/other.

Rumours of a friendly in June at the Bernabeu with Real Madrid are going around but there's no conformation from either club. Also heard that there's a possibility of playing Ole Solskjaer's FK Molde if they can get all the details worked out in time. That would be a smart move for the club commercially.
    Manchester United vs Real Madrid has been officially announced. June 3rd 2012 at Santiago Bernabeu stadium.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdajoka)
    Manchester United vs Real Madrid has been officially announced. June 3rd 2012 at Santiago Bernabeu stadium.
    Source?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rather annoying Welbeck has been put out injured

Carrick Scholes
    Valencia --- Rooney --- Nani
    Hernandez

+ try and maybe in some crazy land get loads of goals to dent the GD.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://beats24x7.com/real-madrid-vs-...dly-confirmed/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Score 5 on saturday and we put the jitters in the bitters even if they do win.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If Wolves can score 4 surely we can get 8 :cool: In all seriousness i reckon we'll win it by three goals. Swansea experimented against Wolves playing with 3 defenders if i'm not mistaken and it didnt work out. Would be very surprised if they tried the same thing against us away.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Score 5 on saturday and we put the jitters in the bitters even if they do win.
    In terms of still being level on points so redemption if you then slip up, of course.

In terms of goal difference, only if City were to win by 1 goal, 2 at a push really.

I do get the feeling this season will be won on goal difference at the minute.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Should go valencia right back, nani right wing, young left wing if we are serious about catching them on goal difference
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Should go valencia right back, nani right wing, young left wing if we are serious about catching them on goal difference
    **** it, 3 at the back, Rio Smalling Evans then Evra and Valencia wing backs, with Carrick Scholes Cleverley and Young Rooney Nani.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    **** it, 3 at the back, Rio Smalling Evans then Evra and Valencia wing backs, with Carrick Scholes Cleverley and Young Rooney Nani.
    12 players? Or is De Gea not playing?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tiote's just been knocked out in the newcastle game, probably gonna miss the city game now
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moonmonkey812)
    Tiote's just been knocked out in the newcastle game, probably gonna miss the city game now
    Newcastle still have the quality to turn up against City.

I am glad with how results are going tonight. I would love to see Newcastle finish 4th.

In other news, Tommy Docherty reckons that Moyes will take over from Fergie. Here.
Updated: December 31, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.