The Student Room Group

GCSE Math exam bords without coursework/modules?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mr M
You can still enter if you pay late fees.

I'll ring up my local exam centre tomorrow and see how much the late fees are. Do you think it's possible to learn all of the specification by the end of may?
Original post by 16dan2life
I'll ring up my local exam centre tomorrow and see how much the late fees are. Do you think it's possible to learn all of the specification by the end of may?

It is but you probably wouldn't want to rush yourself. I do not know how old you are but I assume you are in Year 12, so you would probably have other more important exams. If so, it would be advisable to take it in November, since you would have the entire Summer holidays to learn it and you would be a lot less pressured.

Depends entirely on how capable you are.

The normal fee is £27.30. With late fees this is doubled. If you enter after 22nd April it will be trebled. Your Centre may be closed tomorrow for Easter.
Reply 23
Original post by GreenLantern1
It is but you probably wouldn't want to rush yourself. I do not know how old you are but I assume you are in Year 12, so you would probably have other more important exams. If so, it would be advisable to take it in November, since you would have the entire Summer holidays to learn it and you would be a lot less pressured.

You make a fair point there, yh I'm in year 12. I want to study economics at uni and many unis require GCSE maths at grade A, I didn't work hard for my maths gcse last year(didn't think I'd need it), I was 2 marks off an A and I revised 3/4 days before the exam.
Many unis have told me that if I retake in November they will allow that, but it would be nice to get the retake out of the way asap
You make a fair point there, yh I'm in year 12. I want to study economics at uni and many unis require GCSE maths at grade A, I didn't work hard for my maths gcse last year(didn't think I'd need it), I was 2 marks off an A and I revised 3/4 days before the exam.
Many unis have told me that if I retake in November they will allow that, but it would be nice to get the retake out of the way asap

Be aware that GCSE maths will get slightly harder in November:

http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/news-and-announcements/83/854
Well the BBC are a strange lot! That is why they are an unreliable source!!!

And you know that me and the OP both meant controlled assessments, but people sometimes refer to them as coursework (I and a lot of my classmates do). Stop being pedantic as you seem to have way too much time on your hands.:u:

You should probably stop posting now before you make yourself look any more stupid. There is no coursework or controlled assessment in GCSE mathematics.
Reply 26
Original post by Mr M
Be aware that GCSE maths will get slightly harder in November:

http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/news-and-announcements/83/854

Yikes
I think I'll have enough time In the summer to revise gcse maths syllabus, I'm also planning on taking S1 and C1 in jan so my summer holidays will be pretty hectic with maths
Original post by Mr M
You should probably stop posting now before you make yourself look any more stupid. There is no coursework or controlled assessment in GCSE mathematics.

My friends don't dream up controllled assessments like you dream up riddance of coursework. Maybe you should stop posting because I thought you were supposed to be an affluent Mathmo, but quite clearly you're not!:colone:
Reply 28
My friends don't dream up controllled assessments like you dream up riddance of coursework. Maybe you should stop posting because I thought you were supposed to be an affluent Mathmo, but quite clearly you're not!:colone:

There are no controlled assessments for any GCSE mathematics syllabus.

There are controlled assessments for Statistics GCSE
Original post by gdunne42
There are no controlled assessments for any GCSE mathematics syllabus.

There are controlled assessments for Statistics GCSE

I kno there are controlled assessment for GCSE Statistics - I have done the GCSE myself last year! But there are for GCSE Maths also, why would my friends make up that they have coursework!!!:angry::angry:
I kno there are controlled assessment for GCSE Statistics - I have done the GCSE myself last year! But there are for GCSE Maths also, why would my friends make up that they have coursework!!!:angry::angry:

Not sure why I am bothering but this Ofqual document states "Mathematics contains no controlled assessment".

http://www.ofqual.gov.uk/qualifications-assessments/89-articles/21-gcse-controlled-assessments
Maybe you should stop posting because I thought you were supposed to be an affluent Mathmo, but quite clearly you're not!:colone:

I'm a secondary maths teacher and mathematics assessment consultant. Don't know where you got this "affluent Mathmo" thing from?
By linear do you mean it's modular?

Linear: Exams at end of course: 2 Papers
Modular: Taken in Modules.

I can't even make sense of your sentence lol :confused:
how does this help ???????????????? it doesnt
I am like 99.999999% sure the government got rid of cw/ca in all maths gcses a long time ago.

Quick Reply

Latest