The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM1: 15th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by TaraBelle
on the jan 2012 paper, question 7a, question is: explain why the value you have calculated is slightly different form the relative atomic mass given in the periodic table. Apparently answer is because it takes into account abundances of isotopes, but surely we've just worked out the Mr taking into account abundances of isotopes if we've done it from a mass spec?

can anyone shed some light on this?

it was a meteorite i think the sample was from, and i think the examiner wanted you to say something a long the lines of that its not from earth so the Mr may be different
Reply 201
Original post by Jack_Smith
Help! I alwas get these questions wrong and its only 1 mark.
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-CHEM1-W-QP-JUN11.PDF
qs 5e help pls=D

fractional distillation isnt it?
Reply 202
how do you calculate relative formula mass?
Original post by PaulMc94
fractional distillation isnt it?

question 5E where did fractional distillation come from? Think you reading the wrong question =D
Original post by SHAH :)

Add together relative atomic masses of elements in the compounds. (just saw this in a past paper and had a stress ... then looked it up :smile: )

relative formula mass is just mr of whole molecule. It is mass divided by moles. Its mr of whole molecule.
Original post by StudentAnon
Indeed!

Still lost for them.. can you say 'trigonal planar' instead of 'trigonal pyramidal' (or whatever the **** it is) when there are three bonded pairs in a molecule with lone pairs? :redface:

I have this issue too! Also, if there are 3 bonding pairs and 1 lone pair is it still tetrahedral?
Reply 207
Original post by Jack_Smith
question 5E where did fractional distillation come from? Think you reading the wrong question =D

im on the wrong question paper!:colondollar:
Original post by joker12345
I have this issue too! Also, if there are 3 bonding pairs and 1 lone pair is it still tetrahedral?

Its a trigonal pyramid,
A tetrahedral has four bonding pairs.
3 bonding pairs is trigonal planer.
Original post by PaulMc94
it was a meteorite i think the sample was from, and i think the examiner wanted you to say something a long the lines of that its not from earth so the Mr may be different

oh right okay, thak you! :biggrin:
Write an equation to show how NO is removed from the exhaust gases in a catalytic
converter. Identify a catalyst used in the converter.

Will they always allow all the different equations ie reacting with C/CO/decomposition?
Reply 211
Can anyone think of any dodgy ass questions, of the past or even some that could be asked?
Reply 212
Is it worth it or is anyone doing the papers from the past specification?
State the type of structure shown by crystals of sulfur and phosphorus.
Explain why the melting point of sulfur is higher than the melting point of phosphorus.

Apparently simple covalent isn't allowed and you have to say molecular - does anyone have any idea why this is?!
Reply 214
Name a process which can be used to separate C5H12 from C6H14

why is it not cracking?
Original post by joker12345
State the type of structure shown by crystals of sulfur and phosphorus.
Explain why the melting point of sulfur is higher than the melting point of phosphorus.

Apparently simple covalent isn't allowed and you have to say molecular - does anyone have any idea why this is?!

I think thats because there is strong covelant bonds within the molecules between the atoms (eg like in iodine) but weak van der waals forces between molecules of iodine, so you have to say simple molecular,

Does anyone know how many marks above an A do you need to get 100 ums? :/ Im really confused,

why is it not cracking?

Both are alkanes and have different chain lenghts so have different boiling points, can use fractional distillation to separate them
Have finished all the past papers and consistently have been getting between 56-62/70. Should i leave it now and revise for some of my later exams of should i carry on?

why is it not cracking?

Cracking is to break long chain molecules into short chain molecules, it doesn't separate anything. Fractional distillation is used because that separates different chain lengths because they have different boiling points. :smile:
Original post by ambrin ox
I think thats because there is strong covelant bonds within the molecules between the atoms (eg like in iodine) but weak van der waals forces between molecules of iodine, so you have to say simple molecular,

Does anyone know how many marks above an A do you need to get 100 ums? :/ Im really confused,

Still don't get why it's wrong to call it a simple covalent structure though :/ and scroll down on here http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php and select the year etc, it tells you the raw mars - UMS conversions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending