The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM1: 15th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Got the functional isomer wrong, and the sodium borate. I think the rest was ok, might have missed a mark for the PV=nRT thing but I can't remember my final answer
Original post by Zytex
It was definitely functional. Lots of other people have said functional too.

There was a functional group question and the answer was the displayed formula for cyclo-butane (I hope), but there was also a question on the position isomer of but-2-ene (but-1-ene).
Original post by Zytex
I would predict 56-57/70 for an A.
Then -6 each time for the other grades.

same :smile:
unofficial mark scheme anyone?? :smile:
My prediction is A-55, B-48, C-42
I think the grade boundaries would be lower than jan 2012 maybe 51 for an A
What did everyone get as the two processes. Im not sure what question it was the one about Alkenes X an Y
Original post by Folks
Got the functional isomer wrong, and the sodium borate. I think the rest was ok, might have missed a mark for the PV=nRT thing but I can't remember my final answer

ahh dw thats still a good mark, and I doubt the grade boundary will be as high as 60 anyway.
I've lost 3 for sure.
Reply 627
Original post by Pinkhead
Yes, I found this one tougher, but I didn't really find Jan 2012 to be that hard, so it might not be a very representative opinion

Oh okay. What did you get in Jan?
Reply 628
Original post by AishaTara
well usually they wont curse you for all of it, probs 1, max 2.
I lost a silly mistake for writing B204 instead of B2CL4 I could smack myself with a brick atm :P

For the equation from its elements? Was it not BCl3 or something :eek:
Original post by Abbieastoria
My prediction is A-55, B-48, C-42

Original post by Jack_Smith
I think the grade boundaries would be lower than jan 2012 maybe 51 for an A
What did everyone get as the two processes. Im not sure what question it was the one about Alkenes X an Y

generally June grade boundaries are higher though so not sure. But 55-58 is about right I'd say.
Reply 630
4 H3BO3 + 2 NaOH = Na2B4O7 + 7 H2O

Boric acid reacts with sodium hydroxide to produce sodium borate and water.

I have googled this and the internet says so. Not that I agree with it... as quite frankly i aint got a clue, nor did the chemistry teachers i asked, and tbf nor does probably 99% of AS Chemsitry students, so why AQA set the question on a UNIT 1 paper... i have no idea!
same :smile:

Nah I would predict around 52ish for an A, then -6 for each grade. 100 ums probably (and hopefully lol) around 64/70 as it was harder than other papers.
Original post by pjanoo
For the equation from its elements? Was it not BCl3 or something :eek:

B2 Cl4 but somehow I wrote o instead of Cl
Guys very last question on molecular formula i got the correct answer , but completely unnecessary , on the final lines before the answer i said therefore empirical formula = correct answer ( which is molecular formula ) i am gunna lose marks for that and in worst scenario get CE ?
Original post by Mystic Creature
Nah I would predict around 52ish for an A, then -6 for each grade. 100 ums probably (and hopefully lol) around 64/70 as it was harder than other papers.

i thought it was ok, apart from an odd silly mistake :angry: but tbh an A is an A so it doesnt matter :smile:
mmm no. I thought that paper was about average.. about 56/57 for an A
B2 Cl4 but somehow I wrote o instead of Cl

Nah you're talking about the empirical formula right at the end. I think they mean that equation you had to write to form bcl3 from its elements.
generally June grade boundaries are higher though so not sure. But 55-58 is about right I'd say.

but this was harder than jan, well i thought sections B was. Section A was good section B was a bit hard!
For the reagent, would 2H+ be acceptable?
Reply 639
Original post by AbominableSnowman
There was a functional group question and the answer was the displayed formula for cyclo-butane (I hope), but there was also a question on the position isomer of but-2-ene (but-1-ene).

Did this position Isomer question tell you to draw it? Because I drawed a possitional isommer of but-1-ene

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending