The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get jobs abroad? Don't want to stay in this **** country anymore!

I'm in my 3rd year at university, hopefully graduating with a 1st class degree in the social sciences.
I've been looking/applying for jobs for awhile now and have come to the sad realisation and acceptance that this country has been totally ruined and is no longer worth living in.
All i hear is how no one, with any degree (exclud. business/law/medicine etc.) has been able to find any employment anywhere in this crappy country.

So my question is, how hard is it to get a job abroad?
I don't care where, i'll go anywhere but i was thinking it will be harder for me since most employers wants people who speak different language/or teaches english which i have no experience in.
Would it be possible for me to find a job in another country, or should i give up completly and join the thousands of unemployed graduates this summer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ok, make it out to be that people with a business/law degree are falling over jobs as the walk out the door of their uni, which is not the case at all.

Just do a postgrad in business/law if thats what you think.

Or, learn portuguese and then go to brazil

what uni and what degree may I ask?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by bestofyou
ok, make it out to be that people with a business/law degree are falling over jobs as the walk out the door of their uni, which is not the case at all.

Just do a postgrad in business/law if thats what you think.

Or, learn portuguese and then go to brazil

what uni and what degree may I ask?

Well i didn't mean to make it sound like that, everyones been hit hard but it's just the public sector which's been hit the hardest =/

It'll take many years to learn a lanuage and i'd like to hopefully get a job within a few months of me graduating.

Sociology, and not a very highly classed uni..
Reply 3
Original post by Sugar.And.Spice
I'm in my 3rd year at university, hopefully graduating with a 1st class degree in the social sciences.
I've been looking/applying for jobs for awhile now and have come to the sad realisation and acceptance that this country has been totally ruined and is no longer worth living in.
All i hear is how no one, with any degree (exclud. business/law/medicine etc.) has been able to find any employment anywhere in this crappy country.

So my question is, how hard is it to get a job abroad?
I don't care where, i'll go anywhere but i was thinking it will be harder for me since most employers wants people who speak different language/or teaches english which i have no experience in.
Would it be possible for me to find a job in another country, or should i give up completly and join the thousands of unemployed graduates this summer?

I definitely see where you are coming from as I have family and friends who prefer to work abroad. In some cases you are right but it really depends on what field it is you are the working at, where you want to go and how competitive it is. My brother teaches at an international school in Dubai but graduated in Interior Design. He just couldn't stay here unemployed for any longer, recently he's had an interview for an assistant art teacher over in Hong Kong. These days you are pretty much lucky to have any kind of job in this country so if you want to work abroad after graduating it may not necessarily be in your exact field.

Other things to consider are expenses, depending on where you want to work, will you be able to afford living over there? Experience? etc. Once I graduate I also plan on working somewhere else. It is possible but you have to stay focused.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Hey,

My friend had a similar problem to you as she is doing a psychology with sociology degree and she had no idea what she wanted to do with it. Sorry to say but she couldn't find a lot of jobs related to a sociology degree so combined it with psychology. In third year its probably too late for you to combine your degree now but you could probably do a wee teaching certificate and go abroad for a bit too try it out. From what I've heard teaching and sports jobs to get abroad, sports specifically in Australia/New Zealand.

If this doesn't float your boat you could always try applying for a masters abroad? I'm looking into this just now as I'm currently doing psychology but psychology positions are REALLY coveted so I'm going down the business route and applying for a management-type postgrad. Anyways, if you fancy doing that you could get like part-time bar work while you study or something to see if you like it.

The only other option I can think of is to set up an appointment with a careers advisor at uni, I've found the ones at Stirling where I go to be very helpful.

Hope this helps!
Reply 5
Well i didn't mean to make it sound like that, everyones been hit hard but it's just the public sector which's been hit the hardest =/

It'll take many years to learn a lanuage and i'd like to hopefully get a job within a few months of me graduating.

Sociology, and not a very highly classed uni..

this is tsr, some people on here put anything outside top20 as not very highly classed. What is rough ranking?

Sounds like you just need to chill out, go traveling, go on a WHV so australia etc. Then decide what to do, maybe a postgrad or whatever.
Reply 6
Original post by linzico
Hey,

My friend had a similar problem to you as she is doing a psychology with sociology degree and she had no idea what she wanted to do with it. Sorry to say but she couldn't find a lot of jobs related to a sociology degree so combined it with psychology. In third year its probably too late for you to combine your degree now but you could probably do a wee teaching certificate and go abroad for a bit too try it out. From what I've heard teaching and sports jobs to get abroad, sports specifically in Australia/New Zealand.

If this doesn't float your boat you could always try applying for a masters abroad? I'm looking into this just now as I'm currently doing psychology but psychology positions are REALLY coveted so I'm going down the business route and applying for a management-type postgrad. Anyways, if you fancy doing that you could get like part-time bar work while you study or something to see if you like it.

The only other option I can think of is to set up an appointment with a careers advisor at uni, I've found the ones at Stirling where I go to be very helpful.

Hope this helps!

lol

You guys use that far too much...
Reply 7
lol

You guys use that far too much...

What 'wee'??

I'm English actually, moved up here ages ago and a few words have rubbed off...
this is tsr, some people on here put anything outside top20 as not very highly classed. What is rough ranking?

Sounds like you just need to chill out, go traveling, go on a WHV so australia etc. Then decide what to do, maybe a postgrad or whatever.

For my degree, it's rated somewhere near 35.

I have no money to go travelling or do anything.
I literally have no money whatsoever, the only money i can get is (if im lucky) getting a job in mcdonalds after i graduate, save up abit and then use that to get a grad job..Anywhere.

And even then, i'd only be able to save maybe, £1,500 which isn't much at all..
And thanks for the replies!
Reply 10
Not really **** is it?
Original post by Ferdowsi
Not really **** is it?

Certainly not once you've been to other countries and realise how good it actually is :adore:
Original post by Ferdowsi
Not really **** is it?

The employment market in this country is, yes.
Hi girl, are you still here?

Greece must be 3rd world then now aha
you know the country is going downhill when they specifically start targeting pastry with tax...
Ok,

I´m be in your same situation. I mean, i need to get some job abroad because my country is in economic decline -there´s no job-. I´m from Spain, and everyone see how is the situation and they can watch that the only solution is migrate!. But, if you have to migrate, you need handle the local language of the country where you want to move, don´t you?, Of course, you do. A wildcard language to migrate is English, and, we don´t handle fluently this language!, it´s a big problem for us. You don´t have this problem!, you can migrate to anywhere and teach your language -it´s very listed-.

Most young people from Spain want to move to London or any city of great britain for learn English. I think, that the big problem is the weather :s-smilie::s

Sorry for my english.

Original post by Spunky_Monkey
Greece must be 3rd world then now aha

True, but just becuase this country isn't as bad as other countries, doesn't make it good..Just not quite as ****!
Reply 18

Well it is better than an awful lot in Europe and the United States actually - try finding work in Spain, Greece, Italy, Portugal, France and so on. Our unemployment rate is the same as, erm, Sweden and we have some of the highest wages in the world. My sister has walked straight into a well paid job after her degree in chemical engineering - what is your degree in?

What mythical country is going to give you your super awesome job then?
Original post by Denzel Hayes
Ok,

I´m be in your same situation. I mean, i need to get some job abroad because my country is in economic decline -there´s no job-. I´m from Spain, and everyone see how is the situation and they can watch that the only solution is migrate!. But, if you have to migrate, you need handle the local language of the country where you want to move, don´t you?, Of course, you do. A wildcard language to migrate is English, and, we don´t handle fluently this language!, it´s a big problem for us. You don´t have this problem!, you can migrate to anywhere and teach your language -it´s very listed-.

Most young people from Spain want to move to London or any city of great britain for learn English. I think, that the big problem is the weather :s-smilie::s

Sorry for my english.

True, i don't really want to be a teacher, but beggers can't be choosers!
The weather here is pretty bad, but i think that's not a good enough reason not to come here

Quick Reply

Latest