Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rock music now - not angry, feisty, grimy etc - I'm disappointed.

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Is rock music distinctly not angry anymore?

First I thought about Foo Fighters - but even they've mellowed out.
    Green Day's American Idiot, the single I mean, was a bit of rock excitement. But this was only then balanced out by Wake Me Up When September Ends. And both of those were 8 years ago...
    Now I'm thinking The Hives are possibly the best candidate for a rock band with some brashness, exuberance. Great songs about the state of the world today. A little bit of aggression.

Has rock gone soft? Is it just the trend today to concentrate on melody?

You'd think with the social and economical pisspoor place the UK and the USA are in at the moment, you'd think even charting music would reflect it with some kind of protest music. Fortunately rap at the moment is becoming some kind of social commentary but rock...rock music using a political context has declined. Rock musicians are more likely to write about internal feelings, but not often nowadays do you hear about a person's place in the world and the world outside of your head... I want rock commentary about the state of the world not the state of their heart!!!

People have totally misunderstood my post.
    And for people posting music made years ago, shame on you, that was a different world.
    And for the person who assumed they could guess how old I am, you are very wrong and I am probably wiser than you.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rock music isn't soley about the expression of angst. Look at the greatest artists from the past: the beatles, pink floyd, the doors, jimi hendrix, black sabbath, AC/DC, Guns N Roses, I could go on. None of these were angsty. I like angry grindcore as much as anyone, but I also like music to portray other emotions. 2 of my favourite rock albums are How to measure a planet? by the gathering, and wish you were here by pink floyd. No anger to be had anywhere, but both albums with great music and a great message.

Also are you seriously looking to the charts for good music? Chart music is the most watered down crap out there, as bland and inoffensive as possible in order to appeal to the masses who lap it up. There is plenty of angry rock, metal and punk out there, but it's not going to chart because it doesn't appeal to the majority of people who can't stand anything heavier/angrier than the foo fighters and green day.

If you want angry music go and listen to grindcore. Wormrot, Insect Warfare, Gridlink, Napalm Death for starters are all bands from the last few years (Napalm Death have been going for decades now, but still making great relevant music now). If you think American Idiot is angry, then this will blow your ****ing ears away. Also have a look at the later Megadeth stuff if you want some albums with a bit of an angry political edge.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    Rock music isn't soley about the expression of angst. Look at the greatest artists from the past: the beatles, pink floyd, the doors, jimi hendrix, black sabbath, AC/DC, Guns N Roses, I could go on. None of these were angsty. I like angry grindcore as much as anyone, but I also like music to portray other emotions. 2 of my favourite rock albums are How to measure a planet? by the gathering, and wish you were here by pink floyd. No anger to be had anywhere, but both albums with great music and a great message.

Also are you seriously looking to the charts for good music? Chart music is the most watered down crap out there, as bland and inoffensive as possible in order to appeal to the masses who lap it up. There is plenty of angry rock, metal and punk out there, but it's not going to chart because it doesn't appeal to anyone who can't stand anything heavier/angrier than the foo fighters and green day.

If you want angry music go and listen to grindcore. Wormrot, Insect Warfare, Gridlink, Napalm Death for starters are all stuff from the last few years. Also have a look at the later Megadeth stuff if you want some albums with a bit of an angry political edge.

With this kind of attitude I'm guessing you are probably around 15, and at most 18?
    This.
    Bit of a ridiculous post OP.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AkaJetson)
    This.
    Bit of a ridiculous post OP.
    yeah, claiming there isn't any good music out there/can't find music of the sort you are looking for, yet not trying to look outside of what is popular or in the charts is extremely annoying to me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everyone should listen to grindcore. Not necessarily Gridlink though. Go for the old classics instead, they don't have this pointless technicality that hasn't really been done well since Discordance Axis.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Everyone should listen to grindcore. Not necessarily Gridlink though. Go for the old classics instead, they don't have this pointless technicality that hasn't really been done well since Discordance Axis.
    I like gridlink insect warfare will always be my favourite though I think. World Extermination is perfect.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Awesome track. Great sound. Angry. Fiesty. Grimy. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress sound or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' angry, fiesty and grimy you can get. Thanks for the motivation.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

This was on Wasting Light, I'd say that's 'feisty'.

OP, you need to look elsewhere than 'mainstream' rock, because naturally that kind of music will be softer. If you look elsewhere, plenty of modern day bands are still feisty
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know they're not really around much these days, but Rage Against The Machine are great if you're looking for some angry music. Bulls on Parade and Killing In The Name should do it for you.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Extreme speed metal has also gone downhill. I recently listened to notable extreme speed metal bands coldplay and the scissor sisters and there was a distinct lack of chugging riffs and double bass drums. In fact it was rather bland and boring, almost like pop music. I'm very disappointed at this latest development :mad:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Grindcore is probably the worst genre of music that exists, it deserves to be laughed at and ridiculous instead of taken seriously, it's worse than black metal.

I kind of see what you're saying, mainstream rock music is certainly less angry than it was in the past, but times change. Punk, grunge, nu-metal etc. are going out of fashion, genres like pop-punk, folk-rock and indie (only certain types) are becoming more popular. However, there are still loads of great bands making great music, and certain styles of music will never stop being angry. You just have to look beyond the mainstream.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Extreme speed metal has also gone downhill. I recently listened to notable extreme speed metal bands coldplay and the scissor sisters and there was a distinct lack of chugging riffs and double bass drums. In fact it was rather bland and boring, almost like pop music. I'm very disappointed at this latest development :mad:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Avenged Sevenfold.....

Epic
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Listen to some Rise Against, Anti-Flag, Dropkick Murphys, Murderdolls, Slayer (those old bastards will never go soft).

But yeah, it's a shame that rock is no longer about getting wasted and ****ing girls.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why don't y'all start a band playing the kinda music that you feel is missing?
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukas1051)
    Grindcore is probably the worst genre of music that exists, it deserves to be laughed at and ridiculous instead of taken seriously, it's worse than black metal.

I kind of see what you're saying, mainstream rock music is certainly less angry than it was in the past, but times change. Punk, grunge, nu-metal etc. are going out of fashion, genres like pop-punk, folk-rock and indie (only certain types) are becoming more popular. However, there are still loads of great bands making great music, and certain styles of music will never stop being angry. You just have to look beyond the mainstream.
    Saying Black Metal is bad is laughable. Go and listen to both Opus a Satana and Inno a Satana by Emperor and tell me that the instrumentation isn't better than most anything in the charts and beyond.

And as for grindcore, it contains some of the greatest catchiest riffs ever written, is the most angry genre I've ever heard, and some of the most extreme music and imagery. Take Napalm Death. Ignore their comedic side and recognize that Shane Embury is a phenomenal bass player. Everytime I watch my Napalm Death DVD, or listen to their albums I marvel at how great he is.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't see that much angry music on tv anymore :/ even on rock channels (I don't know why I am sad I like loads of different genres of music :lol: ) but on the rock channels all you see now is the lousy music called pop-rock (some of it is good but omg most of it is terrible)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Mehh not something I've really thought about:

This is an angry song that I quite like, its a bit of a guilty pleasure. Not sure what genre you'd call it.

• 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ALazyThracian)
    Right own up who negged by Avenged Sevenfold post?
    :mad:

At least explain WHY you did it...
    I did cause they're crap.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ALazyThracian)
    Right own up who negged by Avenged Sevenfold post?
    :mad:

At least explain WHY you did it...
    Wasn't me but I gave you a posrep to make up for it Saw A7X in Dublin right before The Rev died. They were epic

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.