The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This is ********. Delegate removal on a popularity vote of a simple majority? Scrapping vetoes on important issues? Why do I get the impression that procedure is being quietly rigged.
Reply 41
Scrapping a veto has only been called in for one situation, and one that I deem very necessary. If a member of the SC is being removed, they are obviously going to veto their removal. That ruins the whole MUN.

The majority getting what they want is called democracy. It's how most civilised nations live and work. If you don't like the way the MUN works, lodge a formal complaint with the SG.
Oh don't play that 'it's democracy' card. Important decisions do not get taken on the basis of a simple - note: not even absolute - majority in the UN. 2/3 should be the requirement for any decision of this magnitude. And vetoes are a reality of the UN, deal with it, you can't remove them cause they might get in the way of what you want in a particualr instance.
Anyway, when was the last time Russia, France or the UK posted?
Reply 43
If you have a problem with the veto system in the MUN PM the SG and ask about it. It is what we agreed at the time way before any of this came into light while discussing the removal of the Danish rep three/four weeks ago. Upon being asked after the new discipline procedure was proposed and agreed to, I asked if the countries in the MUN SC would retain their vetos. This is the SG's response:

Not for this, because this isn't a conventional UN procedure. The miscreant countries aren't being "referred" in the same way that Iran has been (or might not be, depending on my all-powerful whim...). In this instance the SC is fulfilling the role of jury, and no juror has a veto.

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=3906201&postcount=24

From what I understand, the same applies as it is the delgate themselves which are being referred, not the US itself.

As for Russia/France/UK:

Russia posted today in the SC to ask about Taiwan.
France I admittedly have not seen lately.
UK posted yesterday on the subject of Avian Flu.
Reply 44
Nightowl
If you have a problem with the veto system in the MUN PM the SG and ask about it. It is what we agreed at the time way before any of this came into light while discussing the removal of the Danish rep three/four weeks ago. Upon being asked after the new discipline procedure was proposed and agreed to, I asked if the countries in the MUN SC would retain their vetos. This is the SG's response:

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=3906201&postcount=24

From what I understand, the same applies as it is the delgate themselves which are being referred, not the US itself.

As for Russia/France/UK:

Russia posted today in the SC to ask about Taiwan.
France I admittedly have not seen lately.
UK posted yesterday on the subject of Avian Flu.

Of course, it would be interesting to know where the SG gets this sort of power from. But do continue.
Of course, it would be interesting to know where the SG gets this sort of power from. But do continue.
What hm?

By the way, surely a delegate posting cripples and indeed invalidates any Vote of No Confidence whose central argument is inactivity.
One would think.

Then again, I don't think anyone is still suffering under the delusion that the majority of the votes in this poll were based on opinions about (in)activity.
Reply 47
JonathanH
One would think.

Then again, I don't think anyone is still suffering under the delusion that the majority of the votes in this poll were based on opinions about (in)activity.

Which is why I like to think I best represent the US. Not because of knowledge of their particular policies, but because Im as equally loathed!
V: If that's how we're doing it, surely I should be representing Israel? I'm about the most loathed person around!
Reply 49
Hang on I'm China.. So I'm also loathed by everyone? :frown:
China, despite a complete lack of HR and liberties is surprisingly popular with third-world countries (mainly because they have the same approaches), so is actually quite popular at the UN.

Latest

Trending

Trending