The Student Room Group

University of Manchester Nursing 2012

Hey everyone,

I just discovered I have an unconditional offer for Adult Nursing at Manchester and couldn't find a thread for this year's intake, so thought I'd start my own! I've chosen it as my firm choice, so would be good to hear back from anyone else who's definitely starting this year!

Does anyone know which accommodation they'll be applying for?

Scroll to see replies

Ive firmed manchester for adult nursing too and im really confused about accommodation!
do you know if we need to have apply for the 51 week accommodation or is manchester like other unis where the nurses tend to all live in the same halls?
Hiya :smile:

I am going to apply for this course through Extra. Do you both study A Levels?
Reply 3
I have just confirmed my offer to university of manchester to do adult nursing, for accomodation im thinking either western hall, lambert and fairfield halls or canterbury court. I know western hall and Lambert & fairfield halls do 51 week contracts and i've emailed the acommodation people who tell me canterbury court do extended contracts. Where are you guys thinking for accommodation? hope im with other student nurses- tooo many decisions! :smile:
Original post by EmilyGracee
I have just confirmed my offer to university of manchester to do adult nursing, for accomodation im thinking either western hall, lambert and fairfield halls or canterbury court. I know western hall and Lambert & fairfield halls do 51 week contracts and i've emailed the acommodation people who tell me canterbury court do extended contracts. Where are you guys thinking for accommodation? hope im with other student nurses- tooo many decisions! :smile:

i would love it if all the nurses or health care students were together, it would be so handy ! im thinking of pretty much anywhere in fallowfield but im not sure anymore if its the nadiest for placements ! im so indecisive at the minute!
so do we definately apply for accommodation covering 51 weeks??
Original post by charlotte922012
Hiya :smile:

I am going to apply for this course through Extra. Do you both study A Levels?

Good luck with extra! Manchester have so many places for nurses so hopefully you'll be fine!
im studying applied health and social care and RE, are you studying A levels?
Original post by FionaMcCauley
Good luck with extra! Manchester have so many places for nurses so hopefully you'll be fine!
im studying applied health and social care and RE, are you studying A levels?

Hey :smile:

Do you think I do stand a chance? I am in a bit of an unusual situation I think which I need some advice for. Basically I have got unsuccessfuls for child nursing which I originally applied for in October. During the interview processes I realised that I have made a mistake and would be better suited to adult. So, I do need to ring admissions at Manchester, but they were one of my originals that I applied to for child and my application was made unsuccessful so I wasn't given an interview. Do you think I can apply to them once again through Extra for adult?

Oh yeah, I study the BTEC National Extended Dip health & social care :smile:
Hey :smile:

Do you think I do stand a chance? I am in a bit of an unusual situation I think which I need some advice for. Basically I have got unsuccessfuls for child nursing which I originally applied for in October. During the interview processes I realised that I have made a mistake and would be better suited to adult. So, I do need to ring admissions at Manchester, but they were one of my originals that I applied to for child and my application was made unsuccessful so I wasn't given an interview. Do you think I can apply to them once again through Extra for adult?

Oh yeah, I study the BTEC National Extended Dip health & social care :smile:

i say go for it, Manchester are so so so lovely! my friend was given an interview for music but couldnt make it cause were from ireland and so they even offered an interview over the phone!
i was nearly in the same boat, applied for nursing & midwifery and got 4 unsuccessfuls - i applied for manchester twice after they rejected me for midwifery they asked me for a further personal statement, then gave me an interview and an offer the day after my interview. Theyre so nice and so friendly im sure theyll understand ! At my interview there was a girl who was there cause of ucas extra so they are giving out chances, they have so many places that they never fill them so hopefully they'll atleast give you an interview - that way you can explain things aswell! best of luck :smile:!
i say go for it, Manchester are so so so lovely! my friend was given an interview for music but couldnt make it cause were from ireland and so they even offered an interview over the phone!
i was nearly in the same boat, applied for nursing & midwifery and got 4 unsuccessfuls - i applied for manchester twice after they rejected me for midwifery they asked me for a further personal statement, then gave me an interview and an offer the day after my interview. Theyre so nice and so friendly im sure theyll understand ! At my interview there was a girl who was there cause of ucas extra so they are giving out chances, they have so many places that they never fill them so hopefully they'll atleast give you an interview - that way you can explain things aswell! best of luck :smile:!

wow that's fantastic! sounds great, looks like I might be lucky here :smile:
well done for getting a place as well, Manchester Uni is a world class institution! are you excited to start? :smile: how recent was your interview at Manchester and were you interviewed for midwifery when you originally applied?
Reply 9
i would love it if all the nurses or health care students were together, it would be so handy ! im thinking of pretty much anywhere in fallowfield but im not sure anymore if its the nadiest for placements ! im so indecisive at the minute!
so do we definately apply for accommodation covering 51 weeks??

I emailed them and basically said is there any accommodation that you would advise for nursing & they replied saying "most of the halls are open to Nursing students, the only halls they cannot apply for a postgraduate and family halls of residence. Most of our accommodation is on a 40 week contract, however, we will have some 45 week contracts within Whitworth Park and Canterbury Court. Whitworth Park is located within the City Campus and offers self catered standard rooms with or without washbasins. Canterbury Court is located in the Victoria Park campus and offers self catered Ensuite accommodation. We would advise the Nursing students to not apply for catered accommodation as they usually work shifts which means they miss out at meal times, however, it is entirely up to your own preference. If you decide to take a 40 week contract within the other halls of residence, you will be able to apply for summer vacation halls. Most halls offer summer vacation and you maybe be able to extend your contract within the same hall. If the hall you are allocated does not offer summer vacation, you will need to move out and move into another hall which does. You can book summer vacation halls on a nightly or weekly basis, information on the summer vacation halls is available online each year from April onwards."
So i dont think it matters to much? are you looking at rooms with an ensuit? it would be so handy if nurses/ healthcare were together! with placements ect, whats drawing you to fallowfields? i'm in the same boat. Ahh i really dont know were to choose, hmmmn. Reasurring to be talking to someone who is doing the same course at the same place :smile:

sorry this is sooo long!
I emailed them and basically said is there any accommodation that you would advise for nursing & they replied saying "most of the halls are open to Nursing students, the only halls they cannot apply for a postgraduate and family halls of residence. Most of our accommodation is on a 40 week contract, however, we will have some 45 week contracts within Whitworth Park and Canterbury Court. Whitworth Park is located within the City Campus and offers self catered standard rooms with or without washbasins. Canterbury Court is located in the Victoria Park campus and offers self catered Ensuite accommodation. We would advise the Nursing students to not apply for catered accommodation as they usually work shifts which means they miss out at meal times, however, it is entirely up to your own preference. If you decide to take a 40 week contract within the other halls of residence, you will be able to apply for summer vacation halls. Most halls offer summer vacation and you maybe be able to extend your contract within the same hall. If the hall you are allocated does not offer summer vacation, you will need to move out and move into another hall which does. You can book summer vacation halls on a nightly or weekly basis, information on the summer vacation halls is available online each year from April onwards."
So i dont think it matters to much? are you looking at rooms with an ensuit? it would be so handy if nurses/ healthcare were together! with placements ect, whats drawing you to fallowfields? i'm in the same boat. Ahh i really dont know were to choose, hmmmn. Reasurring to be talking to someone who is doing the same course at the same place :smile:

sorry this is sooo long!

That was so helpful thanks so much ! for me personally i've spoken to a few people at manchester and they all said fallowfields great, its easy to move about cause all the shops, restaurants and bars are in like a straight line. My friend said that in particular everyone tends to feel like a family and its quieter than the city centre which is probably better for nursing to be honest. even though its not in the centre apparently students get free buses and theyre like every 10 minutes anyway which is grand. i really want an ensuite, mainly cause with the wierd shifts nurses do or if im living with other students i think it would be a nightmare to fight over one bathroom and get out the door at like 6 in the morning. Where are you thinkin of applying for accommodation-wise?:smile:
wow that's fantastic! sounds great, looks like I might be lucky here :smile:
well done for getting a place as well, Manchester Uni is a world class institution! are you excited to start? :smile: how recent was your interview at Manchester and were you interviewed for midwifery when you originally applied?

I really really can't wait ! My interview was just on the 21st March, it was a group interview and it was really laid back and not even that stressful once your in there because the two interiewees made me feel really comfortable! i didnt get an interview for midwifery, i actually got 4 straight no's - not even an interview for them but it was always manchester for me anyway so im thankful :smile:!
you have to let me know if they give you an interview & offer !
Reply 12
Hellooo :-) received my conditional offer for child nursing last week and can't wait to start, time to work really hard and get the grades needed :-)
Xxx
Original post by Lucy962
Hellooo :-) received my conditional offer for child nursing last week and can't wait to start, time to work really hard and get the grades needed :-)
Xxx

well done Lucy!

are you excited? what grades do you need?
:smile:
That was so helpful thanks so much ! for me personally i've spoken to a few people at manchester and they all said fallowfields great, its easy to move about cause all the shops, restaurants and bars are in like a straight line. My friend said that in particular everyone tends to feel like a family and its quieter than the city centre which is probably better for nursing to be honest. even though its not in the centre apparently students get free buses and theyre like every 10 minutes anyway which is grand. i really want an ensuite, mainly cause with the wierd shifts nurses do or if im living with other students i think it would be a nightmare to fight over one bathroom and get out the door at like 6 in the morning. Where are you thinkin of applying for accommodation-wise?:smile:

Ah fallowfields does sound really good! i like the fact it will be a little be quieter (espec for nursing) and yeah im thinking an ensuit for the same reasons too! will have to do some more researching i think :smile: just got to work to get the grades now though, im sure it will be worth it... haha.
Original post by euphfanhan
Hey everyone,

I just discovered I have an unconditional offer for Adult Nursing at Manchester and couldn't find a thread for this year's intake, so thought I'd start my own! I've chosen it as my firm choice, so would be good to hear back from anyone else who's definitely starting this year!

Does anyone know which accommodation they'll be applying for?

I'm still undecided about accommodation :/ fallowfields sounds nice though, where are you thinking? :smile:
Original post by Lucy962
Xxx

Ah well done :smile: and i know what you mean, working for the grades isnt fun, but its got to be done :/ where are you thinking for accommodation? x
Reply 17
well done Lucy!

are you excited? what grades do you need?
:smile:

Hiya Charlotte :smile:
Im currently doing an Access course, so I need 30 credits at distinction and 15 credits at merit out of a total 63 credits. I currently have 15 at distinction and 12 at merit so think I will be able to do it with lots of hard work! Really can't wait to study at Manchester, loved the open day, lecturers seem lovely and its convenient because I live 20 minutes away on the train :smile:
Xxx
Original post by Lucy962
Hiya Charlotte :smile:
Im currently doing an Access course, so I need 30 credits at distinction and 15 credits at merit out of a total 63 credits. I currently have 15 at distinction and 12 at merit so think I will be able to do it with lots of hard work! Really can't wait to study at Manchester, loved the open day, lecturers seem lovely and its convenient because I live 20 minutes away on the train :smile:
Xxx

oh :smile: sounds interesting. yes Manchester is very impressive! where do you live then? I live in a town near Bolton xx
Reply 19
Ah well done :smile: and i know what you mean, working for the grades isnt fun, but its got to be done :/ where are you thinking for accommodation? x

Heyy, I won't be living in accomodation, I only live 20-25 minutes away by train so will be commuting each day, can't wait, absolutely loved Manchester University and felt really comfortable at the interview and really welcome on the open day!
It sure has got to be done, and the thing that is motivating me the most is that it is one of the best Uni's in the world for nursing and research.
What branch have you applied for?xxx

Quick Reply