Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What can I do?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am a muslim and am 16. It's a time of pressure and worry about looks, personally..

So anyways, after doing some research I found out that Muslim women are allowed to shave/wax their legs and arms however I also found out that plucking is Haraam and I am afraid to admit I do so so I was wondering, could I thread my eyebrows instead because I want to do my eyebrows but I don't want to do something Haraam that is against my religion :confused:
    Could anybody tell me if I would be able to thread my eyebrows and would that be ok?

Also some people say that a Muslim woman waxing, threading, plucking or shaving her eyebrows is wrong whilst others say its on plucking. I also heard that some say it's ok for Muslim women to do their eyebrows for the sake of her husband and/or if the husband has said and if this is the case, could a woman start to do plucking before her marriage to her husband or only after?
    I want to do good in my faith but I do want to do my eyebrows too...
    And some say that it's ok to get rid of the small unwanted bits of hair just not any of the hair ON the eyebrows itself. I only get rid of the small bits of hair under the eyebrow. I don't do above the eyebrow and don't really bother with the sides under the eyebrow either, is that still classified as shaping them and is this Haraam or ok?

Thank you.

Following some answers and doing more research, I have found out that it is forbidden for a Muslim to shape her eyebrows. She can do the middle bit and every other facial hair and on the body. Thank you to everyone who helped. I don't need anymore information about this matter
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Why not make your own choice instead of letting your grooming habits be dictated to you :beard:
    Because I want to do know that I can do them without doing something that I shouldn't in my faith!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Why oh why do people come to TSR for religious advice?? At least post it in the Islamic Society, but really you should ask scholars.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Best to get expert advice on this, or else your merciful God may send you to Hell to burn for eternity in agony in case you pluck instead of wax.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    Shaving is halal, but plucking is haraam? That's a strange one :holmes:
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Safiya122)
    I am a muslim and am 16. It's a time of pressure and worry about looks, personally..

So anyways, after doing some research I found out that Muslim women are allowed to shave/wax their legs and arms however I also found out that plucking is Haraam and I am afraid to admit I do so so I was wondering, could I thread my eyebrows instead because I want to do my eyebrows but I don't want to do something Haraam that is against my religion :confused:
    Could anybody tell me if I would be able to thread my eyebrows and would that be ok?

Also some people say that a Muslim woman waxing, threading, plucking or shaving her eyebrows is wrong whilst others say its on plucking. I also heard that some say it's ok for Muslim women to do their eyebrows for the sake of her husband and/or if the husband has said and if this is the case, could a woman start to do plucking before her marriage to her husband or only after?
    I want to do good in my faith but I do want to do my eyebrows too...
    And some say that it's ok to get rid of the small unwanted bits of hair just not any of the hair ON the eyebrows itself. I only get rid of the small bits of hair under the eyebrow. I don't do above the eyebrow and don't really bother with the sides under the eyebrow either, is that still classified as shaping them and is this Haraam or ok?

Thank you.
    This is a very trivial issue which scholars are divided upon anyway. Nobody on this forum is going to be able to give you a definitive answer. Some people might say it's fine, some people might say it isn't, and most people won't have a clue. Personally, I'd say pluck/shave/whatever, as long as you're satisfied that your intentions aren't blatantly unislamic. If you ever find evidence which confirms that it is definitely against your faith, you can always stop.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    This is a very trivial issue which scholars are divided upon anyway. Nobody on this forum is going to be able to give you a definitive answer. Some people might say it's fine, some people might say it isn't, and most people won't have a clue. Personally, I'd say pluck/shave/whatever, as long as you're satisfied that your intentions aren't blatantly unislamic. If you ever find evidence which confirms that it is definitely against your faith, you can always stop.
    Hmm I guess so. People have posted stories about the past from the prophet PBUH's time but I'm still confused...thanks for the help anyways.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Shaving is halal, but plucking is haraam? That's a strange one :holmes:
    No just the eyebrows. If you want to pluck or shave or whatever on the rest of your face or body, is fine.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S'Class)
    Why oh why do people come to TSR for religious advice?? At least post it in the Islamic Society, but really you should ask scholars.
    This really if you want true peace of mind. - Ask people who know about it.

Thing is though, since you've started the topic, I have to ask...why does God care if women shave their legs/pluck their eye-brows?...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHistoryStudent)
    This really if you want true peace of mind. - Ask people who know about it.

Thing is though, since you've started the topic, I have to ask...why does God care if women shave their legs/pluck their eye-brows?...
    Both men and women are not allowed to change how God created them, unless to fix something abnormal. In this case, if she as a unibrow or something that does not look normal she is allowed to make it look normal.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    post in Islamic society

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1812565
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    Wow. Best to get expert advice on this, or else your merciful God may send you to Hell to burn for eternity in agony in case you pluck instead of wax.
    This is not a joking matter thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey im 16 and a muslim(-ish im not relly a goood one but i do fast....some times but i dont pray or read quarn or cover my head so i don't relly know if you woul like to take my opinio nninto consideration.)

i have and my eyebrows shaped and plucked but if your really worried why not use an epilator or just get them wax ...by a professional
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's ridiculous that you might feel it wrong for you to pluck your eyebrows because your religion dictates you not to. As for doing it for your husbands sake? uh.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yakyakyak)
    hey im 16 and a muslim(-ish im not relly a goood one but i do fast....some times but i dont pray or read quarn or cover my head so i don't relly know if you woul like to take my opinio nninto consideration.)

i have and my eyebrows shaped and plucked but if your really worried why not use an epilator or just get them wax ...by a professional
    Salaam sister,
    I've researched the matter, the prophet Muhammad PBUH has said he curses the woman who does her eyebrows or does other womens. I'm glad you have admitted the truth about whether you consider yourself as a good Muslim. I was a bit like this in the past, however I still wore a scarf, but after watching Madani Channel, it's changed me as a whole. If I had found out about this matter about eyebrows, I would have probably ignored it, however the prophet PBUH said that the woman who shapes her eyebrows or others, will not even be able to smell Heaven.

I don't want to sound like some smart ass or anything. You can however do the middle part, above your nose and next to the eyebrows since I don't think it's considered as part of the eyebrows. I can see small hair under my eyebrows growing but it's all for the sake of Allah. I would advice you not to, if you want to save yourself from the Hellfire. If you stop doing it, I don't think your eyebrows will look worsen than before you started (if that makes sense). I've been told this and hopefully this is the case
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emclme)
    It's ridiculous that you might feel it wrong for you to pluck your eyebrows because your religion dictates you not to. As for doing it for your husbands sake? uh.
    After researching the matter, I have found out more about it and you can't pluck your eyebrows even for your husband's sake. If he tells you to, you are to disobey him. Some might find this confusing and stupid, I found it confusing at the start but I understand it more now so whatever
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Safiya122)
    After researching the matter, I have found out more about it and you can't pluck your eyebrows even for your husband's sake. If he tells you to, you are to disobey him. Some might find this confusing and stupid, I found it confusing at the start but I understand it more now so whatever
    Sorry if my last post seemed rude, I come from a catholic family so religion tends to wind me up a bit. Don't feel bad about anything you want to do, if you want to pluck your eyebrows don't think of it as sinning, you won't go to hell, or whatever the Muslim equivalent of hell is. There are pointless rules in every religion designed to make you feel bad, these rules were written by sexist men, to controll women. Just take everything with a pinch of salt, really. Good luck with whatever you decide lol
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emclme)
    Sorry if my last post seemed rude, I come from a catholic family so religion tends to wind me up a bit. Don't feel bad about anything you want to do, if you want to pluck your eyebrows don't think of it as sinning, you won't go to hell, or whatever the Muslim equivalent of hell is. There are pointless rules in every religion designed to make you feel bad, these rules were written by sexist men, to controll women. Just take everything with a pinch of salt, really. Good luck with whatever you decide lol
    No I didn't consider your comment as rude I have found some of the above rude, however.
    I understand what point you are getting to, however this is stated in a Hadith, I think that's enough proof for me to know whether it's true or not tbh...thanks anyways
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    If your God sends you to hell because you plucked instead of shaved, then ask yourself....is this really a God worth following?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 9, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.