Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Car Tax help!!

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I need to get Car tax urgently for the first time. I have the Mot and Insurance certificate but I don't have the V5 form thingy. I read you can take the new keepers supplement to get it taxed but ONLY if I purchased the car less than 2 months ago.

HOWEVER, the new keepers supplement I have hasn't been filled out (Name, date of purcahse etc) so do you think I could just lie and say it's been less than 2 months or will I get caught out?

Answers quick please
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    don't panic - they don't chase people for a couple of weeks after the old disk expires.

why haven't you got the V5?

think it's a trip to the DVLA local office to sort it out tbh http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/contactus...r/england.aspx
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    don't panic - they don't chase people for a couple of weeks after the old disk expires.

why haven't you got the V5?

think it's a trip to the DVLA local office to sort it out tbh http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/contactus...r/england.aspx
    You sure? Because mines ran out yesterday I think or maybe the day before.

I don't know I just never got one sent in the post? Plus Im from Scotland and im not really near any Dvla offices, was hoping I could just go to the post office?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is the V5 required to renew the tax online?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've let it run out by a couple of weeks and nothing happened to me... they can't be total fascists about it as people take holidays and stuff.

(Original post by Jordan_1)
    You sure? Because mines ran out yesterday I think or maybe the day before.

I don't know I just never got one sent in the post? Plus Im from Scotland and im not really near any Dvla offices, was hoping I could just go to the post office?

nope - iirc a main post office can give out the form but you need to take it to the DVLA office... you might as well go to the post office and ask tho.
    Is the V5 required to renew the tax online?
    you need the magic number on the V5 to do it online
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I taxed my new corsa last week, i only had the new keeper supplement (VC/10 or whatever it's called). If you take it to the post office with, a copy of insurance certificate, MOT confirmation and however much money (extortionate though) they will be able to tax it for you.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    I need to get Car tax urgently for the first time. I have the Mot and Insurance certificate but I don't have the V5 form thingy. I read you can take the new keepers supplement to get it taxed but ONLY if I purchased the car less than 2 months ago.

HOWEVER, the new keepers supplement I have hasn't been filled out (Name, date of purcahse etc) so do you think I could just lie and say it's been less than 2 months or will I get caught out?

Answers quick please
    Fill it out in pencil.
    It's only for your reccords anyway.

The PO will stamp it so it can't be used to tax the car again. Really you aught to have your V5c through the post by now - should only take max 6 weeks for a new V5c to come through the post.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried doing it online?
    I bought tax for the first time online a few months ago and they had a record of everything online, all I had to do was put in the reg plate and they can check everything for you.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.