Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Durham vs. Nottingham

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've recently been given offers for both of these schools.

Durham offered me a 3 year LLB, whereas Nottingham offered me a 2 year Senior-Status.

Just looking for input as to which is perceived better, if either are? Which has the nice campus? Which is more prestigious, etc.

Thanks
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Difference, in terms of Law is negligible. Durham is more prestigious overall. Durham is of course made up of colleges (like the Oxbridge setup); Nottingham on the other hand is of course in a city, so accommodation is scattered like most unis. I'd personally go for Durham, but that's just me.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd also go for Durham, on the basis that it's slightly more prestigious, is regarded as the 'Oxbridge of the North', is very pretty, is the 3rd oldest university in England, has a collegiate system and I believe offers college accommodation for all three years now.

However, Nottingham is a very good university too, plus it's in a bigger city. Durham night life is not as good as Nottingham's, and you'd have to go to Newcastle for something comparable. Plus, Nottingham is a self-contained MASSIVE campus, which could be more suited to you?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KnowstheLaw)
    Difference, in terms of Law is negligible. Durham is more prestigious overall. Durham is of course made up of colleges (like the Oxbridge setup); Nottingham on the other hand is of course in a city, so accommodation is scattered like most unis. I'd personally go for Durham, but that's just me.
    The accommodation is by no means spread out in Nottingham. All the catered halls are on a giant, beautiful campus (considered to be one of the best, if not the best, campus in the UK) and the main self catered halls are a few minutes walk from the campus. There is some spread out accommodation but the vast vast majority is on or near campus. Furthermore, it is most definitely a campus university, not a city university. It is on the outskirts of the city, not in it.

Durham is indeed more prestigious overall, but not to a point where it really makes any difference at all. Both are great universities, and both have great Law departments.

Go with whichever you prefer, OP.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimlessinwonder)
    The accommodation is by no means spread out in Nottingham. All the catered halls are on a giant, beautiful campus (considered to be one of the best, if not the best, campus in the UK) and the main self catered halls are a few minutes walk from the campus. There is some spread out accommodation but the vast vast majority is on or near campus. Furthermore, it is most definitely a campus university, not a city university. It is on the outskirts of the city, not in it.

Durham is indeed more prestigious overall, but not to a point where it really makes any difference at all. Both are great universities, and both have great Law departments.

Go with whichever you prefer, OP.
    Fair one, cheers for pointing that out, can't say I know a lot about the Nottingham setup myself. Was mainly trying to point out to the OP, that Nottingham does not have the college set up, like Durham does.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.