The Student Room Group

How far are you into your revision for GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by In One Ear
Good plan, definitely don't take chem to A2 like i did!

Yes, I've heard that it is rather difficult! But, then again, FM and Physics is supposed to be very hard too
Reply 41
Started on Sunday, we got stressed that ''the easter holidays are not holidays, thats why you have an extra long summer holiday, revise!'' so yeah..
Hardly started tbh. Done a bit of English literature studying of some characters but I plan on doing a few hours today, after I've finished watching a movie :smile:
Reply 43
Not done any revision yet xD But tbh, I've gotten A*'s while only revising in the week before the exam, and I don't think that change, so I'ma chill. Tbh I'll probably only start in may..
At the moment I'm just writing notes and learning the B7, P7, C7 Science topics as we don't get much time in school for science. EG-We finish learning the C7 module in school the day before the exam!, so I need to do lots of stuff at home to ensure I'm prepared. Apart from that,I'm just learning keywords for each subject with flashcards, so not really proper revision right now :smile: <3
Good Luck to everyone doing their revision!!! :smile: xx
I haven't started revision. I want to relax over the holidays and then really start revision seriously when we get back to school. If I start revising facts now for science (the exams I'm most scared about as from specimen papers they seem to be quite tricky), for example, I'm probably going to forget everything. The exams are mid-June time for those, too.

I have English and Music exams in May. English will be fine; you can't really revise much for that apart from remembering what techniques to include in your work. And then music I'm not too bothered about as long as I pass. I want to try and get a B, but we're apparently all resitting next year no matter how well we do as my teacher says this is "like a practice" or something. I hope to do well in it still, but I'm honestly not bothered as I hate the subject. Well, I love it but my teacher and the music department at my school are so rubbish and un-organised. They should be better considering it's a performing arts school. :rolleyes:
Reply 46
Just doing maths, maths, maths. Not that I've actually done much.
Original post by CharlieBoardman
Yes, I've heard that it is rather difficult! But, then again, FM and Physics is supposed to be very hard too

TBH its mainly just tediously boring. I find my will to complete the course wanes with every lesson however since i've only got a couple of months left of it plus the fact that im sitting on an A/A* anyway it'd be silly to drop it now.
Reply 48
I revise 7-9 hours a day. I know it sounds absolutely horrendous, but doing 10 subjects isn't exactly nice. I'd advise to start revision now, to avoid a frantic last minute revision a few days before your proper exams! What I find the most boring and tedious now is Geography GCSE. Revising agriculture and farming has got to be the dullest thing to revise ever, unless your dream job is to become a farmer.
Started Monday and have done 3 units so far for science... Not great but heyho. I'm trying to get as much done before my mocks so i can revise less for the real one :smile:
Reply 50
I have started writing my revision notes, will be doing some past papers after completing these notes. Geogrpahy has to many facts and figures to learn eek!
Reply 51
Original post by CharlieBoardman
I can't revise for English, I simply do not know how to do it. It isn't like Maths or the Sciences (which I am currently revising for), where they have definite answers. How can you revise interpretation and extraction of Language devices?

Well I've just been analysing the poetry and writing lists of pairs for them for comparisons, so poetry is literally done for me, just gonna do the past papers on poetry. Then you have your text book, I've yet to revise for of mice and men & an inspector calls. Just make sure you revise exam technique :smile:
I.... have been all over the place. I haven't got a solid timetable for Easter, so I'm just doing things as I go, and seeing how it plays out. The actual revision time table appears after easter, because my school's keeping us right in school until the weekend before the first exams, so I'm matching it to classes. It's a bit of a mess, but oh well.

Mostly past papers to see where I'm weak in, and a bit of self-teaching, mostly cos we don't ever get enough time in school for every subject.

Art will come back to bite me in the arse because I haven't kept up with the artbook...
Probably English too! Seriously don't know how to revise for that subject.

Lots of focus on my weakest subject though- Chemistry, I never want to walk into the exam hall feeling like I did in the mock exam; with nothing but courage and my pen.

any revision tips for chemistry and english lit? Hate english lit with a passion now at times...
I've only just started really, but I did revise really thoroughly for my mocks so I've found that a lot of old topics are coming back to me quite well :cool:

Done a bit of science (because I suck at it :tongue:) and RS (our teacher is terrible and has barely taught us any of it :s-smilie:) but not much else

Some of my teachers (maths, english, science) have been setting past papers for homework for the past few weeks of school which have contributed to my revision so have spent most of the easter hols so far doing them but will start going over notes etc. properly on Monday :redface:

Good luck to everyone :biggrin:
Reply 54
Original post by iJess
Well I've just been analysing the poetry and writing lists of pairs for them for comparisons, so poetry is literally done for me, just gonna do the past papers on poetry. Then you have your text book, I've yet to revise for of mice and men & an inspector calls. Just make sure you revise exam technique :smile:

if you have them on your computer, could you possibly send me those lists of pairs? if you dont its not a problem
Biology - I had been revising with the textbook as we went along when we started B3. Started going over first topic of B3 again yesterday.
Chem - Did a bit last week, find it easy but will start later this week
Physics - Been doing little bits of revision for a couple of weeks
Geo - Started properly yesterday
Maths - Been doing a couple of past papers throughout the year
History - Did some good revision for about 2 days so know about 70 pages of 100 pages from the textbook off by heart
Spanish - Find it really easy so requires a minimal amount of revision
R.S - Started a few weeks ago. About to start my 4th booklet out of 6.
English - I usually excel in English haven't completely started yet though.

I usually start pretty early but this year I don't know what happened. I hope I'll be fime :/ Usually pull stints where I do like 7 hours one day then relax for the rest few days or something. Kind of wish a time machine was invented now. Haven't done anything today because I was really ill except for one hour of physics.

Last Easter I was less chilled and did some intense revision. Been feeling ill & depressed more in general this year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Finished learning Chem and all the past papers from 2005 to 2011, but I need to go and re-do the incorrect answers and hopefully try to not forget the facts that I've learnt over the past week and a half :l
Pretty much done with IGCSE Maths (done lots of past papers.)
FSMQ Maths: I've done a few past papers but yet to start.
Biology: Unit 2 + 3 left... Haven't started.
In fact, for the rest of the subjects, I haven't started revising because:
a) I'm doing one subject at a time.
b) I need to write a revision timetable.
I think I'm going to leave Latin and Geography until later because they're in June (except for Virgil, which we have a mock on, urgh.)
Geography is tedious though. SO many case studies and 'key phrases.'
(edited 12 years ago)
I actually made some good progress this week - finished all my science revision (woooooooooooo! :woo:) but haven't actually done anything else :s-smilie:

To be fair, English, Business Studies, French and German for me will involve some light revision a few days before and some cramming the night before the exam.. and my Maths exams aren't till June so I have the half term to revise for that :rolleyes: which only leaves Religious Studies, which I'm kinda panicking about but will start this week (I promise :tongue:)
These holidays I've finished writing notes on biology, chemistry, physics and RE. With science I'm only half way through though as I have to still produce mind maps, flashcards and do past papers so a lot to go! RE all the notes are completed so it's just a case of memorizing. < This set are in a month so they come first. I'd say I've completed around 30% of revision out of all my exams.

3 subjects exams after the subjects mentioned above so I'm not revising them at the moment, I'll do them after the majority of exams are completed.
Reply 59
Original post by yl95
Finished learning Chem and all the past papers from 2005 to 2011, but I need to go and re-do the incorrect answers and hopefully try to not forget the facts that I've learnt over the past week and a half :l
Pretty much done with IGCSE Maths (done lots of past papers.)
FSMQ Maths: I've done a few past papers but yet to start.
Biology: Unit 2 + 3 left... Haven't started.
In fact, for the rest of the subjects, I haven't started revising because:
a) I'm doing one subject at a time.
b) I need to write a revision timetable.
I think I'm going to leave Latin and Geography until later because they're in June (except for Virgil, which we have a mock on, urgh.)
Geography is tedious though. SO many case studies and 'key phrases.'

For latin, how are you revising for virgil, apart from learning the translation, what about the lit notes?

Quick Reply

Latest