The Student Room Group

How far are you into your revision for GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L1000
For latin, how are you revising for virgil, apart from learning the translation, what about the lit notes?

I think I'll just learn the notes and practise long answers and look at the mark scheme and the criteria needed. It's all a case for rote learning for me :l
I get around 80% in the Literature papers and do much better in the Language papers. My teacher told me I should be getting 97%+ in these. :P I make so many silly mistakes though, because I'm just too careless...
Do you do Germanicus and Piso and Cicero too? G+P is so tiring. The storyline is so boring that it just puts me off learning it.
Reply 61
Original post by yl95
I think I'll just learn the notes and practise long answers and look at the mark scheme and the criteria needed. It's all a case for rote learning for me :l
I get around 80% in the Literature papers and do much better in the Language papers. My teacher told me I should be getting 97%+ in these. :P I make so many silly mistakes though, because I'm just too careless...
Do you do Germanicus and Piso and Cicero too? G+P is so tiring. The storyline is so boring that it just puts me off learning it.

Oh wow lucky you, I'm just hoping I'll scrape an A* (90% isn't it?) Yeah I find it difficult to anaylse all the notes, as well as learning a translation. Yeah, I prefer Germanicus and Piso - Atleast there is a storyline, I have no idea what Virgil is on about! As for language, any suggests for revision, aside from past papers? I'm not very familiar with all the structures, (ablative absolutes etc.) But latin is around end of may, so I'm concentrating on other subjects more.
Original post by L1000
Oh wow lucky you, I'm just hoping I'll scrape an A* (90% isn't it?) Yeah I find it difficult to anaylse all the notes, as well as learning a translation. Yeah, I prefer Germanicus and Piso - Atleast there is a storyline, I have no idea what Virgil is on about! As for language, any suggests for revision, aside from past papers? I'm not very familiar with all the structures, (ablative absolutes etc.) But latin is around end of may, so I'm concentrating on other subjects more.

John Taylor's book.
BUY IT.
It may look boring but it's really informative about grammar for GCSE Latin and has exercises, including one on the ablative absolute.The only downside is that there are no answers but our teacher marks them; I'm sure yours won't mind :wink:
For language, revise the A401 and A402 vocab lists and learn the deponents. Revise any grammar points that you don't quite get. When doing past papers, don't be like me, forgetting to care about cases.
Virgil is so complicated in that there are some double similes and so much imagery that it's hard to get your head around it.
I'll probably scrape an A* at best if I carry on getting 80% in Lit because Lit and Lang are equally weighted. Oh, and another tip, learn the translation off by heart so that you can translate a random section. I could have got 92% in my mock Lit. on Cicero (Clodia and Pythius) and Germanicus and Piso had I not made so many silly mistakes.
I've just spent almost the last two hours condensing the entire AQA Physics Unit 2 into 4 pages of formulas and key points. I can't help but say I have a feeling of accomplishment. :biggrin:

I'm going to do the same for Biology and Chemistry tomorrow, I think. I'm just kicking myself that I didn't do this at the start of the holidays, it would have made my revision so much easier. Oh well, a lesson learnt! :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by yl95
John Taylor's book.
BUY IT.
It may look boring but it's really informative about grammar for GCSE Latin and has exercises, including one on the ablative absolute.The only downside is that there are no answers but our teacher marks them; I'm sure yours won't mind :wink:
For language, revise the A401 and A402 vocab lists and learn the deponents. Revise any grammar points that you don't quite get. When doing past papers, don't be like me, forgetting to care about cases.
Virgil is so complicated in that there are some double similes and so much imagery that it's hard to get your head around it.
I'll probably scrape an A* at best if I carry on getting 80% in Lit because Lit and Lang are equally weighted. Oh, and another tip, learn the translation off by heart so that you can translate a random section. I could have got 92% in my mock Lit. on Cicero (Clodia and Pythius) and Germanicus and Piso had I not made so many silly mistakes.

I will! Clodia and Pythius are fine, it's such the G&P and Virgil, they are so long, and its not only difficult remembering all the translation but also the literature notes.
Reply 65
I'm just starting now...
I've done most of the important ones last year but I have my final maths exam in June which i neeeeeeed to pass. But I'm so lazy >_< it's probably too late to revise now anyway...
Reply 66
Is it too late to start now?
Original post by Smko
Is it too late to start now?

better to start now than later
Original post by Lucas9
I'm just starting now...
I've done most of the important ones last year but I have my final maths exam in June which i neeeeeeed to pass. But I'm so lazy >_< it's probably too late to revise now anyway...

You've got 6 weeks until the start of June. You'll be fine. Just study A LOT from now on.
Reply 69
Absolutely nowhere. I think I may have to just try and do x amount of revision for x subject (in total) rather than do x amount of revision per day.
Not very. I left it a little late seeing as I haven't been paying attention for the last two years. I'm currently summarising each subject onto thirds of A4 sheets and I haven't even made my way through one subject yet. I could probably finish RE today and Biology by the end of the weekend if I even bother. Oh well.

Quick Reply

Latest