The Student Room Group

How far are you into your revision for GCSEs?

Have you revised all content, some content or have you only just started? Personally, I have only just started, but my friends say that they are finished with content and are now on past papers and exam technique :O

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've just started, don't worry about it we're doing fine.
I've just started too. I lack motivation though!
Reply 3
Original post by x-Sophie-x
I've just started too. I lack motivation though!

This is me!
Reply 4
Just started, its still early!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 5
Yea, i've just started. Haven't actually made a timetable, i'll only "break it" and it would take me ages to make one. I'm just broadly using the school one...

Luckily i've focused well this year so won't really have to teach myself new things thank god!

Oh, and btw, i have a feeling 95% of people who claim they have been revising for hours upon hours every day for the past month are bluffing a bit!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by burgerrr
Yea, i've just started. Haven't actually made a timetable, i'll only "break it" and it would take me ages to make one. I'm just broadly using the school one...

Luckily i've focused well this year so won't really have to teach myself new things thank god!

Ive been quite focused, but some subjects, particularly science, we dont have time to cover whole syllabus in class so have to teach ourselves it anyway :\
Reply 7
I'm doing okay at the moment, currently abiding to a study schedule I set up A few days ago. Still thinks it's quite early, though many others I know don't quite share that sentiment. To be honest though, I felt the pressure kicking in a little bit today when our teachers gave us our final predictions. They reckon that I'll get 9A*s and 3As :eek:. I feel that's quite stretching, but definitely not insurmountable. Gonna try my best! Wish me luck :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
I haven't started yet. Ooops :K:
Reply 9
probs start next week. I wanna get my hw outta the way first :wink:...................................................................................Im screwed :smile:
Reply 10
I've started proper revision a few weeks ago and I'm nearly finishing my Geography GCSE content. Only 2 more units to go over and I will be done :smile: And after that only 9 more subjects to go :smile: Aiming for all A's and A*'s. I realise I have no life, but I'd rather revise hard now than a few days before my actual exams which is not a really good.
How are you all getting on with revision?
I have done little bits, but will begin revising seriously tomorrow. I will simulate a school day with my revision:
- Start working at 8:30
- Work for 60 Minutes (standard lesson time)
- Complete Past Paper and Mark it, then record how I do. (However, when I do past papers at home, I do them very quickly (20-30 minutes), and just brush over the questions without going back to check my work. I believe it makes me more efficient, therefore reducing the amount of silly mistakes I make. this doesn't work for everyone).
- I will probably do around 2-3 subjects per day, so around 3hrs-4.5hrs of work.

I will obviously break for food and coffee between subjects :biggrin:

I like to work in the morning. My brain works much quicker and more efficiently in the early hours if the day. At night, I slow down, like to read and browse TSR :biggrin:
I began revision at the start of the Easter holidays and so I should have most of the detail notes completed for each subject by the end of the holidays. Then it's just condensing, flashcards etc until mid April & past papers until mid May which is exam time!
Reply 13
With english and r.e I'll soon be on to exam papers but science I've barely started
Original post by iJess
With english and r.e I'll soon be on to exam papers but science I've barely started

I can't revise for English, I simply do not know how to do it. It isn't like Maths or the Sciences (which I am currently revising for), where they have definite answers. How can you revise interpretation and extraction of Language devices?
Reply 15
Original post by CharlieBoardman
I can't revise for English, I simply do not know how to do it. It isn't like Maths or the Sciences (which I am currently revising for), where they have definite answers. How can you revise interpretation and extraction of Language devices?

For english we've been given some textbooks to work through by school for poems and I've bought myself a revision guide. I've started re-reading mockingbird also. Not sure how to revise for language though :\
Original post by Caz.123
For english we've been given some textbooks to work through by school for poems and I've bought myself a revision guide. I've started re-reading mockingbird also. Not sure how to revise for language though :\

I sat my poetry exam last year. Eurgh. -.-
My next literature exam is on Of Mice and Men, and Inspector Calls.... Riveting....:hmmm:
I hate Literature and Language. Literature moreso. However I only need 47/80 on my final language exam for an A, 67/80 I think for an A*.
Reply 17
3 hours into revision.... not good
Original post by CharlieBoardman

- Complete Past Paper and Mark it, then record how I do. (However, when I do past papers at home, I do them very quickly (20-30 minutes), and just brush over the questions without going back to check my work. I believe it makes me more efficient, therefore reducing the amount of silly mistakes I make. this doesn't work for everyone).

This is exactly how I do it! I think it works best for me that I quickly do the questions and is a good way of managing time which I was quite poor at :smile: I did some maths papers today and finished them in half the time as well as got an A* :biggrin: I am glad I'm not the only one who does this method because my friends think I'm a freak with these types of exams because of how quickly I complete them :colondollar:
Original post by Dandaman9999
This is exactly how I do it! I think it works best for me that I quickly do the questions and is a good way of managing time which I was quite poor at :smile: I did some maths papers today and finished them in half the time as well as got an A* :biggrin: I am glad I'm not the only one who does this method because my friends think I'm a freak with these types of exams because of how quickly I complete them :colondollar:

Yes, it's very time efficient :biggrin: I've always been an incredibly early finisher too. I can usually do a Maths Exam 3 times in the given time limit. And when I say 3, I don't mean once and then 2 skims over. I mean doing every single step all over again, 3 times.
English on the other hand... Don't get me started -.-

Are you doing the modular or linear maths course?

Quick Reply

Latest