Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Use of the word ignorant

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I moved from the south to the north about a decade ago and ive found that people here tend to use the word Ignorant as a verb to ignore someone. Eg " Last time i saw him he blanked me the ignorant ****er". Which ive always thought was strange because ignorant means a lack of knowledge. Has anyone else found this at all?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in the north for 13 years now and using ignorant like that seems perfectly fine for me.

You're the first person i've ever seen question it. I'm not saying you're wrong though. Maybe i'm just so used to hearing it it seems right
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ignorant can also mean unsophisticated or rude.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyraBloke)
    I've lived in the north for 13 years now and using ignorant like that seems perfectly fine for me.

You're the first person i've ever seen question it. I'm not saying you're wrong though. Maybe i'm just so used to hearing it it seems right

Im not saying there is anything wrong with it its just an observation its something that ive never come accross until i came to the north.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think people put 2 and 2 together, assuming that ignorant is the act of ignoring. It's a fair mistake, to be honest, but as the lexical nazi that I am, I feel it is something that needs correcting.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    I think people put 2 and 2 together, assuming that ignorant is the act of ignoring. It's a fair mistake, to be honest, but as the lexical nazi that I am, I feel it is something that needs correcting.
    Shouldn't 'nazi' be capitalised?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, whenever I've used it in that context I've always used it to mean "ignorant of decent social conduct". Doesn't just have to be because they ignored you, just anything socially dodgy.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ignorant of manners and customs perhaps?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that ignorant meant more than just a lack of knowledge..

more like: when someone is content with that lack of knowledge,
    and while knowing its there, they still aren't doing anything to address it...

I live in the south and I've always heard it used in that context...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanR)
    Shouldn't 'nazi' be capitalised?
    It was a conscious decapitalisation on in an effort to lexically deride the ideology .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    anymore on this guys?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I thought the word ignorant meant when you have a lack of knowledge.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    lol people from the north are stupid
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're just ignorant.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate when people use ignorant to mean rude. It's just not the same. Or use it when someone has an opinion that differs to theirs.

Case and point, I've been called ignorant so many times for my views on matters of immigration and religion. It makes me want to scream, because in almost every case I know far more than them on the given subject matter.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    I hate when people use ignorant to mean rude. It's just not the same. Or use it when someone has an opinion that differs to theirs.

Case and point, I've been called ignorant so many times for my views on matters of immigration and religion. It makes me want to scream, because in almost every case I know far more than them on the given subject matter.
    Yes it's become a very popular word, I guess people always like to think that their arbitrary sociopolitical views are objectively correct and anyone who doesn't think the same way must be ignorant of certain facts or truths, perhaps even too dense to comprehend them.

It's also broadly used as a general insult, of course - largely meaningless and likely not honestly intended to mean that the recipient is ignorant of something in particular.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lived in both North and South and I would say that's a normal use of the word.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I know. They're just so goddamn ignorant!
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mud19)
    I moved from the south to the north about a decade ago and ive found that people here tend to use the word Ignorant as a verb to ignore someone. Eg " Last time i saw him he blanked me the ignorant ****er". Which ive always thought was strange because ignorant means a lack of knowledge. Has anyone else found this at all?
    In that sentence, the word ignorant wasn't being used as a verb... It's an adjective, and that's how it was used in that case. (Can't believe none of the 'lexical Nazis' on this thread noticed that )

But if you're talking about using it to mean ignoring, then I've never heard it used that way, but that's not what it means so I guess it's technically wrong. :dontknow:

Although I agree with what these people said too:

(Original post by Mr Ben)
    Well, whenever I've used it in that context I've always used it to mean "ignorant of decent social conduct". Doesn't just have to be because they ignored you, just anything socially dodgy.
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Ignorant of manners and customs perhaps?
    It could be being used in that sense.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 5, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.