The Student Room Group

ARE GCSE's too easy!?

Scroll to see replies

they are all easy but when it comes to english language... game over!!!!!
Reply 21
Original post by matthurry
Hey. I am in year 12 currently studying Bio, chem, maths, and economics.
It don't know about anyone else, but i get pretty ****ing sick of people banging on about how easy GCSE's are, anyone can pass etc. I consider myself as pretty smart, and i worked my ****ing ass of to achieve my 7a's, 3B's and a C. So did many other people i know, but are constantly being put down by ***** who took their GCSE's about 300 years ago, and are sour that people are passing more now then when they were a kid.

I find it a ****ing joke that people who AREN'T doing GCSE's get to moan how easy they are, and a consequence, they are made harder!?

P.S, rant over, sorry for posting this in the wrong thread, feel free to move. :motz:

I think that the problem people have is that the style of the questions is very different to say that of A-Levels especially in certain subjects. Whilst the style of the questions is perhaps easier as is the content (which it surely should be compared to A-Levels :wink: as they should present an equal challenge to the age group they're aimed at) at GCSE level there is a great volume of material to learn over a great expanse of subjects.

I know that the style of questions especially in some subjects was more difficult in earlier years but the way you achieve in exams is down to the individual and we are affected differently by different styles of exam and different content. What we find difficult/easy depends on the person not the exam paper! Therefore, no-one should be criticising the achievements that anyone else has made, certainly not until they have tried to do GCSEs under the same conditions e.g. pressure, age as us.
Original post by yothi5
ARE GCSE's to easy!?

Would explain why you only got AAAAAAABBBC

Thats still incredibly good in contrast to the rest of the country.
Reply 23
Original post by cooldudeman
they are all easy but when it comes to english language... game over!!!!!

Hahaha true.
Reply 24
in my january exams i got CDD and i did lots of revision.

Don't forget this is TSR who are getting the straight A*s. i want someone to find the average grades people get for GCSEs and i think its around a C so how are they too easy? if some people are getting higher than a pass (C) and some people are getting lower than a pass.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by matthurry
Hey. I am in year 12 currently studying Bio, chem, maths, and economics.
It don't know about anyone else, but i get pretty ****ing sick of people banging on about how easy GCSE's are, anyone can pass etc. I consider myself as pretty smart, and i worked my ****ing ass of to achieve my 7a's, 3B's and a C. So did many other people i know, but are constantly being put down by ***** who took their GCSE's about 300 years ago, and are sour that people are passing more now then when they were a kid.

I find it a ****ing joke that people who AREN'T doing GCSE's get to moan how easy they are, and a consequence, they are made harder!?

P.S, rant over, sorry for posting this in the wrong thread, feel free to move. :motz:

Don't worry these are just cynical old people who probably did badly when they sat theres. Rather than accept there bad result or potentially even resitting them, they would rather scrutinise your good results. GCSES aren't getting easier there the same as they were like 9 years ago when I sat mine, if anything I think in certain subjects its actually harder and longer to get a good grade. Im coming up 25, got a place at UCL, Im learning Biology GCSE just out of pure interest, lets just say its the same material and pretty much the same spec as it was back then as it is today.
(edited 12 years ago)
Sample GCSE Maths question:

Point A (1,1), Point B (3,5)

Find the gradient...
I found them in the middle :smile: some subjects I cannot do and some I can. I didn't do great but I didn't do terrible either, but if I revised I know I would have got higher than a C in every subject but I was too lazy at school :lol:
Original post by non
in my january exams i got CDD and i did lots of revision.

What were you revising? Key Stage 2?
Original post by Newbie123
If you're in Lower Sixth, how have you got AS results already, or are they GCSE results?

January modules or taken As early I guess.
If you're in Lower Sixth, how have you got AS results already, or are they GCSE results?

January exams mate :smile:
Reply 31
If I'm honest, I think it depends on the person you are (if you are naturally academic or not), since some people do find GCSEs generally difficult.

I'm an academic-minded person, and I thought GCSEs were ridiculously easy. I did 20 minutes revision for history and that was it, and ended up with 3A*, 7A and 2B. My friend however worked her butt off and only got a few Bs, then mostly Cs and some D/Es.

I think on the whole compared to earlier years they are easier, but it still depends on the person.
I am 16, and I believe that SOME GCSE's are too easy. I think the number of A*'S that are dished out in Maths and Science is ridiculous. There must be around 30-40 A*'s coming out of my science class alone, never mind the rest of the year. They either need to make theq uestion papers harder, or raise the grade boundaries (However it is 90% for an A* already).

Also, I got my A* in maths back in November. You needed 80% over all for an A*, which I think is stupidly low, as the papers are also incredibly easy. It isn't, easy to distinguish between somebody who has a thorough understanding of the subject they studied, and somebody who scraped an 80% overall. The difference in mathematical ability between somebody completely understands the subject and gets 95%+, and somebody who just got 80%, is so vast, yet they both get branded with the same mark.

English on the other hand, is quite a difficult subject to get high grades in, and no way near as many A*'s are given out.

I think I'm in the minority on this one, but that's just my opinion!
I got A* in GCSE "Religious Studies" by BSing about how a Muslim & a Christian & a Buddhist would view a certain matter differently.

I got A* in GCSE Geography despite the fact that I made up facts/stats, e.g. crime has risen by 12% in the Cairngorms over the last 25 years, which coincides with the increase in the revenue generated from tourism <--- word for word...
Original post by ChunkyFudgeLover101
No, GCSE's are not too easy. If they were then why do people fail to attain full marks in all their exam?
Surely if they were that easy, you needn't revise for them, just take the exam and get a stroke of A*'s.
I found them challenging, not going to lie.
By saying they're easy, it only makes people feel bad about themselves and that's not fair or kind.
I found gcse art really hard.( managed to attain a good grade, but that doesn't make it anymore easier)

That is incredibly true, people take it for granted that GCSEs involve a lot of time with Universities wanting specific grades on top courses. Obviously people are going to spend more time studying, to ensure they get the grades they need. As the same time, if it was so easy everyone would be getting A*s. A lot of people are all talk, so just ignore them.
I got 5A*s and 7As, and I worked hard for the majority of them. So no, I wouldn't say they're easy at all. If I hadn't done the work I did, I wouldn't ever have got those grades.
Reply 36
What were you revising? Key Stage 2?

GCSE
Original post by wcp100
When an employer looks at your grades they don't think about being mean or unfair....

Furthermore I think you misunderstood. Easy isn't getting 100%. Easy is a large proportion of the candidates getting A's, making it difficult to discriminate.

Okay, but maybe a large proportion deserved those grades?
Plus, not everyone gets A's quite a lot of people get below. I thought exam boards had those quota's where a certain amount got a b c d....
Original post by non
GCSE

genuine lol
Reply 39
genuine lol

of course because not everyone is academically gifted.

Quick Reply

Latest