The Student Room Group

ARE GCSE's too easy!?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by matthurry
:O THAT MUST MEAN THAT GCSE ENGLISH INS'T HARD ENOUGH, THIS SHOULD BE MOANED ABOUT UNTIL IT IS MADE HARDER.
seriously, who actually goes are picking out grammar mistakes when i'm trying to point out how much i hate everyone. Tsshh.

isn't*

:P
Reply 81
Original post by m4nurul3
You can't just get a GCSE without doing any work and you have to work very hard and revise a lot to get an A (at least I do), not to mention an A*. I don't think they're too easy at all.

Depends on the individual really. There are plenty of people who can not only get a GCSE without doing any work but can get one at an A* grade.

As mentioned earlier by others the issue isn't with those at the lower or middle end of the spectrum but it's with those who are getting all As and A*s. It's now difficult to tell who our brightest are. Those who are brilliant and those who are perhaps just a bit brighter than others are getting the same grades.
Reply 82
Original post by Newbie123
1. That wasn't the OP I was replying to.
2. That was a joke.
3. O-Levels are noticeably more difficult than GCSEs, therefore, it's my belief that the difficulty of public examinations has decreased - btw, I already said this, so I have addressed the question.
4. Your generic attempt at giving the internet tough guy (me, in your opinion) a taste of his own medicine by attempting to plant seeds of doubt by undermining his (my) abilities by implying that I'm insecure is just juvenile and boring.
5. Calm down.

Regardless of who is was to, it did not seem like a joke. No indication in your response at all. Just a full stop. The fact that you say they are more difficult is entirely your opinion, which I appreciate fully, but it seems stupid to use someone's results to substantiate your view - especially when belittling them in the process. Even if your view that I am trying to be 'the internet tough guy' was correct and I was being 'boring'; it does not diminish any truth that may be in my argument whatsoever. For the record, I hate watching people attack other people's results that aren't to that person's 'standard' or similar to their own ability. There's no intention of trying to be an internet tough guy - which you would gather from all of my other posts/threads I have started. You may have been playing 'devil's advocate', but your style did not seem to convey that. Joke or not, it's still unkind and a very prominent method of degrading someone in TSR - which I'm sure you of all people will have knowledge of.

What you find difficult may not be to someone else - as I said subjective. It is completely fine to express your view, you cannot use others' results however to justify it.
Reply 83
isn't*

:P

hahahaa. fair enough!
Original post by Joey15
Regardless of who is was to, it did not seem like a joke. No indication in your response at all. Just a full stop. The fact that you say they are more difficult is entirely your opinion, which I appreciate fully, but it seems stupid to use someone's results to substantiate your view - especially when belittling them in the process. Even if your view that I am trying to be 'the internet tough guy' was correct and I was being 'boring'; it does not diminish any truth that may be in my argument whatsoever. For the record, I hate watching people attack other people's results that aren't to that person's 'standard' or similar to their own ability. There's no intention of trying to be an internet tough guy - which you would gather from all of my other posts/threads I have started. You may have been playing 'devil's advocate', but your style did not seem to convey that. Joke or not, it's still unkind and a very prominent method of degrading someone in TSR - which I'm sure you of all people will have knowledge of.

What you find difficult may not be to someone else - as I said subjective. It is completely fine to express your view, you cannot use others' results however to justify it.

1. Debating the semantics of an off-hand comment is beyond futile, in fact, it's asinine, considering the terse nature of my remark.
2. I said that you thought I was the "internet tough guy", not the other way around.
3. Has anything ever been achieved by one person telling another person, over the medium of an internet forum, that that person ought to play nice? Nope.
4. There was nothing malicious in what I said, whatever you inferred from it is subjective, just like how the difficulty of GCSEs are, right?
5. I didn't use his results to substantiate my own view. I merely made a quip based on his results, i.e. it went results ---> remark, not remark -> dispute -> use of results to support the validity of aforementioned remark.

Comprende?
Reply 85
Wrong.

Care to explain how? I'm doing the new modular courses, and I can assure you, the usual number of exams per course is 3, usually 1 in year 10 and 2 in year 11 June.
Original post by shmuxel
Care to explain how? I'm doing the new modular courses, and I can assure you, the usual number of exams per course is 3, usually 1 in year 10 and 2 in year 11 June.

When I did GCSEs I had less than 20 exams (I did 10 subjects).
back when I was doing it? no

Now? hell yeah, they're piss easy
Reply 88
When I did GCSEs I had less than 20 exams (I did 10 subjects).

As I said, these are the new modular ?GCSEs. And I didn't say they were all in one session. The fact they're spread out over two years, broken up with Controlled assessments, means that we get no respite.
Reply 89
1. Debating the semantics of an off-hand comment is beyond futile, in fact, it's asinine, considering the terse nature of my remark.
2. I said that you thought I was the "internet tough guy", not the other way around.
3. Has anything ever been achieved by one person telling another person, over the medium of an internet forum, that that person ought to play nice? Nope.
4. There was nothing malicious in what I said, whatever you inferred from it is subjective, just like how the difficulty of GCSEs are, right?
5. I didn't use his results to substantiate my own view. I merely made a quip based on his results, i.e. it went results ---> remark, not remark -> dispute -> use of results to support the validity of aforementioned remark.

Comprende?

Indeed, what I inferred is subjective. However, someone else similarly pointed out that what you said was unkind. I think, by and large, that people would say that you stating that a person who is studying A-levels was revising for the work of Key Stage 2 - a few 'Key Stages' under - because of the CCD is quite malicious.

Sorry for my misunderstanding of who you were referring to as the 'internet tough guy', but why you even made the remarks you did? Considering his decision to pursue A-levels and relating it to 'Key Stage 2' suggests you are intelligent. Your criticism seems to make a link between grades and the easiness of a paper. Which I believe to be flawed. People still have to work their arse off for a C.

If you would like to continue this, PM me or e-mail me. Why make the OP's thread a stage for debate? Let him read comments that answer the question. Not a sub-debate.

If yo
Reply 90
The actual subject matter is really easy.

The hard part is licking the examiners arse hard enough to get the marks. Teaching isn't geared towards teaching any more, it's geared towards mark schemes rather than anything else.
Reply 91
Last year I argued that GCSE's were not easy. I worked reasonably hard and got 2A*s 8.5As and a BTEC distinction*. However im in year 12 now. The amount of effort I have to put into my 4 As Levels is MUCH MUCH MUCH!!! more than i had to put in to pass my GCSE's with good grades.
Reply 92
At the time they seem hard, but when you get to A-Levels looking back you feel like laughing at how easy they were!!
Reply 93
Original post by Hooby
At the time they seem hard, but when you get to A-Levels looking back you feel like laughing at how easy they were!!

Yeah your right
Original post by Joey15
Indeed, what I inferred is subjective. However, someone else similarly pointed out that what you said was unkind. I think, by and large, that people would say that you stating that a person who is studying A-levels was revising for the work of Key Stage 2 - a few 'Key Stages' under - because of the CCD is quite malicious.

Sorry for my misunderstanding of who you were referring to as the 'internet tough guy', but why you even made the remarks you did? Considering his decision to pursue A-levels and relating it to 'Key Stage 2' suggests you are intelligent. Your criticism seems to make a link between grades and the easiness of a paper. Which I believe to be flawed. People still have to work their arse off for a C.

If you would like to continue this, PM me or e-mail me. Why make the OP's thread a stage for debate? Let him read comments that answer the question. Not a sub-debate.

If yo

Cba to pm, I'd rather just conclude it here and be done with it.

1. I think you need to redefine what constitutes a "malicious" comment, malicious would be if I said, with no possibility of it being a joke, "CCD? If you had to work hard for those ****ty grades, you're a moron and you have no future in life, in fact, in 10 years time, I bet you're going to be cleaning my car!" - THAT would be classified, categorically, as a malicious comment. What I said pales in contrast.
2. What? I never made a link between grades & the facility of a paper - although there clearly is a link, seeing as O-Levels yielded much less top-tier grades.
3. The mere fact that I referred to KS2 (primary school) should be more than enough to realise that I am JOKING. Or are you suggesting that I was genuinely querying if he, a GCSE student (not A-Levels, I don't think), had been reviewing primary school material in preparation for his exams?
4. The emboldened part doesn't make any sense; how does what I said suggest that I'm intelligent? Is that a typo?
5. Who else said I was unkind?
Reply 95
Original post by Mikes143
Last year I argued that GCSE's were not easy. I worked reasonably hard and got 2A*s 8.5As and a BTEC distinction*. However im in year 12 now. The amount of effort I have to put into my 4 As Levels is MUCH MUCH MUCH!!! more than i had to put in to pass my GCSE's with good grades.

yes, i do know, i am also in year 12! haha, i don't think most of the people have actually read the message rather than just the title.
Reply 96
I don't think they're too easy - just that grade boundaries need to be adjusted to that the proportions of A*, A, B, C etc grades remain roughly the same throughout the years.

I go to a well-achieving school, and me and many others feel that for some subjects (Maths in particular) it's too easy to obtain an A*, and the good and the really good candidates can't be differentiated - a shame for the most intelligent students.

Edit: Does A-level do this?
Reply 97
looool yh soz
Reply 98
Original post by USB
I don't think they're too easy - just that grade boundaries need to be adjusted to that the proportions of A*, A, B, C etc grades remain roughly the same throughout the years.

I go to a well-achieving school, and me and many others feel that for some subjects (Maths in particular) it's too easy to obtain an A*, and the good and the really good candidates can't be differentiated - a shame for the most intelligent students.

Edit: Does A-level do this?

This.is.what.a.level.is.for.

GCSEs are meant to be a general qualification - students that work hard and obtain good results are still seperated. You get a much harder time in A level - so why don't people stop whining about the difficulty of GCSEs?
Reply 99
Cba to pm, I'd rather just conclude it here and be done with it.

1. I think you need to redefine what constitutes a "malicious" comment, malicious would be if I said, with no possibility of it being a joke, "CCD? If you had to work hard for those ****ty grades, you're a moron and you have no future in life, in fact, in 10 years time, I bet you're going to be cleaning my car!" - THAT would be classified, categorically, as a malicious comment. What I said pales in contrast.
2. What? I never made a link between grades & the facility of a paper - although there clearly is a link, seeing as O-Levels yielded much less top-tier grades.
3. The mere fact that I referred to KS2 (primary school) should be more than enough to realise that I am JOKING. Or are you suggesting that I was genuinely querying if he, a GCSE student (not A-Levels, I don't think), had been reviewing primary school material in preparation for his exams?
4. The emboldened part doesn't make any sense; how does what I said suggest that I'm intelligent? Is that a typo?
5. Who else said I was unkind?

I think reason dictates that your comment was at the very least unkind. And, no ....I do not believe this person was revising for Year 6 material. Please read what I wrote again. And use reason to link.

We seem to be getting nowhere with this. Digging too deep into parts that are unrelated to the argument and we both seem to have a somewhat warped understanding of what the other is saying.

I'll conclude by saying that what you said was, joke or not, unfair and irrelevant. My opinion. Subjectivity governs both this sub-debate and the larger one. We will get nowhere. There's not enough objective evidence to conclude a convincing argument either side. On that, I hope we would agree.

If there is anything else you would like to debate - God, epistemology, morality -
before we probably move on to it, PM me. Or e-mail. Only if it's not too much work for you.... For now, I'm agreeing to disagree on a highly subjective topic. So rather than going back and forth for hours - which, before you say you're just backing out, you probably know would happen - I have concluded my view. Hours to spend I haven't. I need As and it isn't going to come from sitting here, which I hope you can appreciate.

Overall, OP I think you're asking too varied a community to get a convincing answer. Good luck with it!

Quick Reply

Latest