The Student Room Group

ARE GCSE's too easy!?

Hey. I am in year 12 currently studying Bio, chem, maths, and economics.
It don't know about anyone else, but i get pretty ****ing sick of people banging on about how easy GCSE's are, anyone can pass etc. I consider myself as pretty smart, and i worked my ****ing ass of to achieve my 7a's, 3B's and a C. So did many other people i know, but are constantly being put down by ***** who took their GCSE's about 300 years ago, and are sour that people are passing more now then when they were a kid.

I find it a ****ing joke that people who AREN'T doing GCSE's get to moan how easy they are, and a consequence, they are made harder!?

P.S, rant over, sorry for posting this in the wrong thread, feel free to move. :motz:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tullia
If you managed at least a C in English Language, then they're too easy. And no, I'm not someone from 300 years ago.

Not really, GCSEs aren't suppose to be impossible to pass :h:
Yeh I agree. I really don't understand how people 30 yrs older than us can say that GCSE's are getting easier just because the pass rate is going up. Surely it's because teachers and students alike are getting better at answering the questions, revising, and because there are ever more materials to further a students learning.

I think GCSE's are quite narrow i.e, you are expected to write in a certain way for the humanitarian subjects, which is quite different, and above all doesn't really prepare you for the way you need to write at A level.

I say give the people that complain a few GCSE papers, and make them go through the education system, and have to endure some frankly appalling teachers - who usually don't even want to be in the job.
Reply 3
Original post by matthurry
It don't know about anyone else, but i get pretty ****ing sick of people banging on about how easy GCSE's are, anyone can pass etc. I consider myself as pretty smart, and i worked my ****ing ass of to achieve my 7a's, 3B's and a C. So did many other people i know, but are constantly being put down by ***** who took their GCSE's about 300 years ago, and are sour that people are passing more now then when they were a kid.

I find it a ****ing joke that people who AREN'T doing GCSE's get to moan how easy they are, and a consequence, they are made harder!?

P.S, rant over, sorry for posting this in the wrong thread, feel free to move. :motz:

ARE GCSE's to easy!?

Would explain why you only got AAAAAAABBBC
Reply 4
you only realise how easy they are when you move onto A Levels
Reply 5
Original post by carpe diem 123
Yeh I agree. I really don't understand how people 30 yrs older than us can say that GCSE's are getting easier just because the pass rate is going up. Surely it's because teachers and students alike are getting better at answering the questions, revising, and because there are ever more materials to further a students learning.

I think GCSE's are quite narrow i.e, you are expected to write in a certain way for the humanitarian subjects, which is quite different, and above all doesn't really prepare you for the way you need to write at A level.

I say give the people that complain a few GCSE papers, and make them go through the education system, and have to endure some frankly appalling teachers - who usually don't even want to be in the job.

****ing exactly. i would love to see some of them attempting some GCSE papers!
Reply 6
Original post by omgg
you only realise how easy they are when you move onto A Levels

... i have moved onto A levels, got an A in chemistry, B in biology, B in maths, B economics?
No, GCSE's are not too easy. If they were then why do people fail to attain full marks in all their exam?
Surely if they were that easy, you needn't revise for them, just take the exam and get a stroke of A*'s.
I found them challenging, not going to lie.
By saying they're easy, it only makes people feel bad about themselves and that's not fair or kind.
I found gcse art really hard.( managed to attain a good grade, but that doesn't make it anymore easier)
Original post by yothi5
ARE GCSE's to easy!?

Would explain why you only got AAAAAAABBBC

Not very kind of you. And those are good grades.
From a personal stand point, yes they were, they didn't really push me to work as much as they should have.

From a general stand point, no they're perfectly fine, although the identification of what GCSE's students should be taking needs to be remedied.
Reply 10
More to the point, if GCSE's were too easy everyone would have straight A*s, but they don't. Even if on average people are getting better GCSEs, that's the same across the board, and so you can still see that person A is better than person B even if the grades are a little inflated. Utterly ridiculous that people say GCSEs are too easy! I go to a grammar school, and some of the most intelligent people I know aren't getting straight A*s (although admittedly, a few do).

I am aware that what I said above does not make complete sense, but there you go.

GCSE's are ****ing easy.
I can only compare what I've seen, and on that basis, I think they are.

I did GCSE Latin (I know, I know...) 2 years ago, and my teacher showed me an old O-Level text, which was far harder than anything I had to do. A girl in my class who consistently got 90-100% in GCSE practice papers could only manage a B, which would suggest it is pretty tough.

Also, I know people work hard today, but I really can't believe that people 30 years ago were all complete slackers. Working harder can't account entirely for the difference in grades achieved.
Reply 13
At the moment i'm grateful that the majority of gcse modules/courseworks i do aren't tricky - but then again, i'd like to have something which bridges the gap to a level a bit better.
Reply 14
... i have moved onto A levels, got an A in chemistry, B in biology, B in maths, B economics?

im sorry but i really dont understand what your point is?
Are you saying that even now in A Levels you still find GCSEs hard?
Original post by ChunkyFudgeLover101
No, GCSE's are not too easy. If they were then why do people fail to attain full marks in all their exam?
Surely if they were that easy, you needn't revise for them, just take the exam and get a stroke of A*'s.
I found them challenging, not going to lie.
By saying they're easy, it only makes people feel bad about themselves and that's not fair or kind.
I found gcse art really hard.( managed to attain a good grade, but that doesn't make it anymore easier)

When an employer looks at your grades they don't think about being mean or unfair....

Furthermore I think you misunderstood. Easy isn't getting 100%. Easy is a large proportion of the candidates getting A's, making it difficult to discriminate.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Yep. Either make GCSEs harder or A-levels easier. I propose the former.
COMPLETELY AGREE WITH YOU... x
Hey. I am in year 12 currently studying Bio, chem, maths, and economics

If you're in Lower Sixth, how have you got AS results already, or are they GCSE results?
Reply 19
There is no doubt that a variety of subjects have been dumbed down, especially at GCSE. I can't be bothered to supply links, but go ahead and find any Maths or Science paper from the 1980's, or older O-Level papers and tell me that today's exams are equally as difficult.

Good candidates score highly in our current exams with little effort or revision. There's no disputing that.

Quick Reply

Latest