Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Im a girl and i wanna do weights but no idea how to start?!

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really want to do free weights in the gym, mainly to strengthen my arms and possibly legs?? But i don't wanna go in the weights area with no idea of what i'm doing and end up looking stupid! Anyone got any kind of routine i could do to start? Physically i'm fairly strong (i think) and i'm not looking to lose weight really just tone up and build strength, any help would be amazing! x
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    How much do you weigh and what's your bodyfat percentage?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Decide on a goal, then look up a routine. Youtube or google the exercises and learn correct form. Diet is crucial also and needs to be tailored to whatever your goal is. Use free-weights as much as possible as opposed to machines and don't neglect muscle groups.

People will be more than willing to help at the gym, ask someone who looks like they know what they're doing if you need help, most will be more than willing to help.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jim Wendler 5/3/1. Really simple, readily customised.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    How much do you weigh and what's your bodyfat percentage?
    I weigh 9 stone 10lbs, i'm 5 foot 2, no idea if i'm overweight or whatever but dont feel likei have to lose weight. No idea what a body fat percentage is?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInformer)
    Decide on a goal, then look up a routine. Youtube or google the exercises and learn correct form. Diet is crucial also and needs to be tailored to whatever your goal is. Use free-weights as much as possible as opposed to machines and don't neglect muscle groups.

People will be more than willing to help at the gym, ask someone who looks like they know what they're doing if you need help, most will be more than willing to help.
    Thanks - yeah i might just ask someone, just didnt't want to be the annoying gym newbie lol
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got any guy friends who aren't totally clueless when it comes to gym? For a complete beginer i think its best to be shown a decent routine, as information online is either confusing, difficult to apply or just totally wrong.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pics or didn´t happen.

Just joking. I think that you must take low weights, I mean, it´s only about tone up muscles or anything else, like build strength??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpediemxx)
    Got any guy friends who aren't totally clueless when it comes to gym? For a complete beginer i think its best to be shown a decent routine, as information online is either confusing, difficult to apply or just totally wrong.
    Yes i do! I agree - i had a quick look on youtube and even some of the stuff there looked pointless
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Use http://scoobysworkshop.com/ he has a women section with video commentary that you can do at gym or at home. Hes also got video on proper form,breathing,nutrition etc Its Free and the guy is a legend
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Denzel Hayes)
    Pics or didn´t happen.

Just joking. I think that you must take low weights, I mean, it´s only about tone up muscles or anything else, like build strength??

Lol.. yeah i would quite like to build strength!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popsicles3)
    Lol.. yeah i would quite like to build strength!

I think that in a woman/girl is pretty nice a toned body. You know what i mean

So, you wouldn´t must take high weights. It´s only an advice, in additional, you can do all your exercises at your home. You don´t need enrole at a Gym.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/

Here is a link to the SL 'report' so you don't have to do the email thing and also has the spreadsheets for tracking progress http://stronglifts.com/secret-5x5-report/.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    lol at most of the advice on this thread

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ul...ing-guide.html

actually read the whole post, will take less than an hour
    once you've read it, you'll know what you need to do
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popsicles3)
    I really want to do free weights in the gym, mainly to strengthen my arms and possibly legs?? But i don't wanna go in the weights area with no idea of what i'm doing and end up looking stupid! Anyone got any kind of routine i could do to start? Physically i'm fairly strong (i think) and i'm not looking to lose weight really just tone up and build strength, any help would be amazing! x
    If you want a good place to start, then I recommend the book, 'The New Rules of Lifting for Women'. It's by Lou Schuler and you can find it on Amazon.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I recommend you start with a weight regime I call bread lifting.

1) Take 2 slices of bread, you'll need these later.
    2) try to open a jam jar, if you can't do it at first, get your man to. Keep trying every time till you can open it yourself.
    3) spread jam over slices of bread.
    4) curl slices of bread once each, then place one flat on the top of the other.
    5) give your man the sandwich.

Done, all the weights you'll ever need to start with.

next week i'll teach you how to hoover bench.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GMD)

2) try to open a jam jar, if you can't do it at first, get your man to. Keep trying every time till you can open it yourself.

****in lold
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GMD)

Worst advice I have ever seen. Not only do you not specify the flavour of jam, or the type of bread, you also encourage poor form. Sandwiches should ALWAYS be sliced corner-to-corner. Simply folding slices is inadequate, and will result in failure to reach your fitness goals.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    nuked
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dep_5450420-Woman-giving-us-a-huge-sandwich.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	139589  
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bax121)
    Do Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5...ining-program/

Here is a link to the SL 'report' so you don't have to do the email thing and also has the spreadsheets for tracking progress http://stronglifts.com/secret-5x5-report/.
    Totally agree. For a complete beginner who wants to start strength SS or stronglifts is the way to go. Well tried and tested

Everything else you need to know is about diet

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 5, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.