Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Unlikely to get student housing if Sussex is your insurance?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Had an email a few days ago saying:

'If you accept Sussex as your insurance choice then I am afraid you are unlikely to get a place in University managed housing. You should still apply if you would want university-managed accommodation, and then, if you are placed here in the summer, you can be added to the housing waiting list. I am afraid, however, that we can only guarantee housing for those who put Sussex as their firm/first choice.'

If I put Sussex as my insurance then is it really highly unlikely that I'll get to live in student accommodation? I haven't encountered that with other uni's I've looked at!

'Their housing guide states that 'If we are unable to place you, we will usually offer you accommodation with a host family in the surrounding area or help you find housing in the private sector. You will automatically be placed on the housing waiting list and given priority for University housing as soon as a room becomes available.'

So is there a high chance that I'll end up having to rent private housing? And what is this living with a host family all about?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is pretty unlikely, sorry. In the past few years (especially before Northfield was opened last year) there have been students who chose Sussex as their firm choice, but did not hold a unconditional offer, who have been unable to be placed in on campus accommodation due to the sheer increase in amount of students and lack of rooms! So insurance students don't have that much of a chance. A lot of the firm students manage to get onto campus pretty quickly due to the numbers of people (as in any university) who drop out or just don't turn up. There were three people who didn't arrive in the flat below me at Sussex!

The other universities you looked at must have a lot more housing or be less popular or accept less students.

A host family is a family in Brighton (or suburbs) who has a spare room and is willing to take in students to live there, either temporarily until on campus accommodation is available or longer.

Did the email you got explain the allocation process? If not, here it is. Also important to note it says insurance students will go on the waiting list for on campus accommodation, so under the (smaller number of) firm applicants who didn't get onto campus.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffieFlowers)
    Had an email a few days ago saying:

'If you accept Sussex as your insurance choice then I am afraid you are unlikely to get a place in University managed housing. You should still apply if you would want university-managed accommodation, and then, if you are placed here in the summer, you can be added to the housing waiting list. I am afraid, however, that we can only guarantee housing for those who put Sussex as their firm/first choice.'

If I put Sussex as my insurance then is it really highly unlikely that I'll get to live in student accommodation? I haven't encountered that with other uni's I've looked at!

'Their housing guide states that 'If we are unable to place you, we will usually offer you accommodation with a host family in the surrounding area or help you find housing in the private sector. You will automatically be placed on the housing waiting list and given priority for University housing as soon as a room becomes available.'

So is there a high chance that I'll end up having to rent private housing? And what is this living with a host family all about?

Yeah, Sussex accomodation is stupid! I got in through clearing and then had to go live with a 'host family' in my case they were a lovely couple. I will admit, I missed out on freshers as I didn't know anyone. But I did get on campus accomodation from after the Christmas break and that was great and I had an amazing time. If you go for a host family, try and get one where you are with other students so you can all go out together. Though that's only if you miss your first choice! Lots of luck!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 4, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.