Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The undateables

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Richard's mum seemed really nice.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zjs)
    The principle of programs like this, and Channel Four's other attempts to raise awareness of those living with disabilities/disfigurements is good: raise awareness that people with conditions/looks like this are the same inside and should be viewed as 'real people'; treated the same as everyone else.

It invariably comes across as slightly patronising though, with the last series in the same vein (something along the lines of beautiful by traditional standards and those with disfigurements/disabilities) having to pair those with the conditions with the most vapid, self-centred, people imaginable in order to get the point across that they're just the same as everyone else. There's an element of Daily Mail-esque pretending to care about the subject while using it for publicity; the paper pretends to champion the rights of (white middle class) women, while simultaneously providing pages to oggle celebrities, while Channel Four claims to be promoting equality, yet uses blatantly offensive language, such as calling the program 'Beauty and The Beast'.

Obviously, there is strong beauty fascism, let alone in regards to disfigurements. The idea is that they're juxtaposing the traditional acceptance of what is 'normal', and the words used by 'normal' people to described those with disfigurements and deformities - challenging the accepted paradigm by directly relating to people's perceptions and prejudicies - but it seems to come off less as 'we should all be equal' and more as 'look at these people. Look at them. If we try hard enough, we can pretend that we're all equal'.

I think there is a genuine desire to promote equality and understanding in this sort of programming, but the message tends to continuously reinforce how different 'these people' are before bringing in the message of 'but there's no reason to treat them differently', whereas it would involve a lot less of the continuously focusing on nothing but the disfigurement and a lot more of referring to them as ordinary people, to feel like the desire for equality was entirely genuine.
    I think the title really is disgusting.. just because someone is disabled doesn't make them any less dateable!!

To show disabled people as being equal they should pair up with someone who is able bodied. Why do disabled people have to live up to the expectations that the person they will marry will be disabled too? Who wants to be labeled as the disabled couple to be honest? No one.

I did find the Penny girl shallow and fussy, but I can't really blame her to be honest. The others were able bodied yet mentally impaired.. and they weren't wheel chair bound like her.

But the youth worker guy she was paired with seemed like a very guy.. and it did anger me at how she was kinda bored with the whole meeting.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahchan)
    I think the title really is disgusting.. just because someone is disabled doesn't make them any less dateable!!

To show disabled people as being equal they should pair up with someone who is able bodied. Why do disabled people have to live up to the expectations that the person they will marry will be disabled too? Who wants to be labeled as the disabled couple to be honest? No one.
    I've worked as a support worker and that's the way it is mostly. They are conveying real life and to show them pairing up with "able bodied" people as you so eloquently put it wouldn't be a true representation of what actually happens in the real world and not some ideal picture you have in your head.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by original_username)
    I've worked as a support worker and that's the way it is mostly. They are conveying real life and to show them pairing up with "able bodied" people as you so eloquently put it wouldn't be a true representation of what actually happens in the real world and not some ideal picture you have in your head.
    but that isn't to say that all disabled people end up living with a disabled partner does it?
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    but that isn't to say that all disabled people end up living with a disabled partner does it?
    The show doesn't really suggest that though. As luke's date is fully normal for example.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    No it doesn't.

My experience is more based around learning difficulty/ mental disorders than physically disabled people. With disabled people a non-disabled person could fall in love with the person put that is less likely with the type of people I supported, for obvious reasons.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Luke was such a dude! I'd love to go see his stand up; just that minute or so of it had me in stitches!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The guy who was flexing his muscles was funny. The way he said on the phone ' I was deluding myself ' lol. Joker.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahahahahahaha, Shaine is a legend
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    lool they really need to change the name of the show, its soo wrong :naughty:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Shane is my favourite.
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    I feel kinda bad for Justin. He seems like a pretty nice guy, but God had to go curse him with such a disfigurement

To be honest, I must say this programme does help put some of my problems into perspective. I wish them all the luck in finding someone right for them

EDIT: I wrote this comment when I'd only watched the first half of the programme. Now I've watched the whole thing, I'm happy to see that Justin has found a woman so open minded and getting on well with him

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 10, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki TV section

Quick link:

Unanswered TV threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.