The Student Room Group

Bmo2 1996 q1

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I remember this problem, as ghost walker has suggested, first split it into x,y>0 and the cases where x or y=0 (treat this bit as a special case) then show x and y are even in the more general case I think - its been a while since I've done it though.
Reply 21
Original post by Tobedotty
I remember this problem, as ghost walker has suggested, first split it into x,y>0 and the cases where x or y=0 (treat this bit as a special case) then show x and y are even in the more general case I think - its been a while since I've done it though.

Do you remember, do you finish with Pell's or Pythagorean or what?

EDIT:
Oh, actually, difference of squares might be much better idea.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 22

Can you convince me that these are the only solutions in those special cases?

The sum of an odd and an even integer is always an odd integer, and all odd integer squares are congruent to 1 modulo 4.
Reply 23
Right,
Working mod3
3^y is 0 mod 3
z^2 is 1 mod 3
For any y and z.
So 2^x is -1^x mod 3 therefore x is even.

Working mod 4, you get the same thing for y.

Is it solid?

Original post by gff
Can you convince me that these are the only solutions in those special cases?

Well, it's obvious? :s-smilie:
The only z which makes two brackets *number to the power of something, if n, would be larger, it's not possible for brackets to be two different powers of the same number?
Well, it just seems too obvious. Don't tell me, there are others, please. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Dog4444
No, I haven't. You don't need to, if you can prove that (4,2) is the only non-trivial solution.

Also, I tried binomials.
2x+(2+1)y=2x+2y+a2y1+b2y2...+1=z22^x+(2+1)^y=2^x+2^y+a2^{y-1}+b2^{y-2}...+1=z^2
But I don't know what can I do further on.

Have a proof to the problem using that fact. Will type it up over the next hour if you haven't already solved it by then :smile:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Blutooth
Have a proof to the problem using that fact. Will type it up over the next hour if you haven't already solved it by then :smile:.

Thanks, may be solution in spoiler and hint first? :colondollar:
Reply 26
Original post by Dog4444

Actually, I got stuck at the point where 2x011=3y02^{x_0-1} - 1=3^{y_0} . Need to find if there are solutions to that equation, and then we are done. I suspect there is only one :P. Essentially you just look at the binomial expansion mod 4 and then use a value of x or y you obtain there and check for solutions to z^2-2^2x.

Edit: looking at your first post, it seems I have got stuck at the same spot as you, using a different method to get there. Sorry I got your hopes up, will keep trying.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Original post by Dog4444

Some more details.

Spoiler

If y=0,x1y = 0, x \geq 1, then 2x=(z1)(z+1)2^x = (z - 1)(z + 1) implies that z±1z \pm 1 are part of a geometric progression, but they're two consecutive terms.
Reply 28
Original post by gff
Some more details.

Spoiler

If y=0,x1y = 0, x \geq 1, then 2x=(z1)(z+1)2^x = (z - 1)(z + 1) implies that z±1z \pm 1 are part of a geometric progression, but they're two consecutive terms.

Original post by Dog4444

OP, looking at your calculations and mine there seems to be one major difference. At the end I get a Pell equation of the form

(3y1)2(2x11)2=1 (3^{y_1})^2- (2^{x_1-1})^2=1

This difference is because i factorised z23xz^2-3^x rather than z22yz^2-2^y , as you did. Pretty sure I have the soln. Will type it up soon.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by gff
Some more details.

Spoiler

Does it mean my prove with mods isn't sufficient? And I can't follow the last sentence of first paragraph.

Thanks for trying, but it doesn't move anywhere. I'll try some algebraic manipulation.
Reply 30
I think this is what you are looking for MR OP :smile:
SOlution to the last part is here down below.

Spoiler

Only one further solution. We are done OP. Bullyacha.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31

Sort of the same thing, what I do now.
[br]22a+32b=z2[br]32b=(z2a)(z+2a)[br]gcd(z2a,z+2a)=(z2a,2a+1)=1[br]z+2a=32b[br]z2a=1[br]2a+1=32b1[br]2a+1=(3b1)(3b+1)[br][br]2^{2a}+3^{2b}=z^2[br]3^{2b}=(z-2^a)(z+2^a)[br]\gcd(z-2^a,z+2^a)=(z-2^a,2^{a+1})=1[br]z+2^a=3^{2b}[br]z-2^a=1[br]2^{a+1}=3^{2b}-1[br]2^{a+1}=(3^b-1)(3^b+1)[br]
Because brackets should be consecutive numbers of the form to the power of 2, and the difference between them is 2, the only valid b is 1. So y=2.
2a+1=8[br]a=2,x=4,z=5[br] 2^{a+1}=8[br]a=2, x =4, z=5[br]
How is it?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Dog4444
Does it mean my prove with mods isn't sufficient? And I can't follow the last sentence of first paragraph.

Thanks for trying, but it doesn't move anywhere. I'll try some algebraic manipulation.

I think I've got what you are after spoilered above. If you come across some mistakes, I think I've fixed them. Will take a look at ur work now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Dog4444
Sort of the same thing, what I do now.
[br]22a+32b=z2[br]32b=(z2a)(z+2a)[br]gcd(z2a,z+2a)=(z2a,2a+1)=1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![br]z+2a=32b[br]z2a=1[br]2a+1=32b1[br]2a+1=(3b1)(3b+1)[br][br]2^{2a}+3^{2b}=z^2[br]3^{2b}=(z-2^a)(z+2^a)[br]\gcd(z-2^a,z+2^a)=(z-2^a,2^{a+1})=1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![br]z+2^a=3^{2b}[br]z-2^a=1[br]2^{a+1}=3^{2b}-1[br]2^{a+1}=(3^b-1)(3^b+1)[br]
Because brackets should be consecutive numbers of the form to the power of 2, and the difference between them is 2, the only valid b is 1. So y=2.
2a+1=8[br]a=2,x=4[br] 2^{a+1}=8[br]a=2, x =4[br]
How is it?

The line with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is wrong isn't it? Generally when you come across a factorisation like that it's not the best way to deal with it. What if z=2^a+1 -2^a.

Do this z - 2^b=3^{a/m}
z + 2^b=3^{m}
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34

Spoiler

2^{a/m+m}=2^a?
Reply 35
The line with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is wrong isn't it?

Don't think so at the moment.
Why do you think so?
Reply 36
Original post by Dog4444
2^{a/m+m}=2^a?

Sorry should be a minus instead of a division. bit tired, but if you just change that, and that alone in my workings the proof will still hold. Have corrected the error and the proof should hold now. Thanks for pointing it out.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Dog4444
Don't think so at the moment.
Why do you think so?

What ifz=2a+12a. z=2^{a+1} -2^a.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
SOlution to the last part is here down below.

Spoiler

But this is a contradiction, as both factors can't be 1.

Honestly, I can't follow it from "This has no solutions if a..." . If you're trying to prove that there is no solutions, when x,y>0. Try x=4,y=2,z=5.You get 16+9=25.

What ifz=2a+12a. z=2^{a+1} -2^a.

Do this [br]z2b=3am[br]z+2b=3m[br]z - 2^b=3^{a-m}[br]z + 2^b=3^{m}

Nearly made the mistake you pulled me up on again lol :P

I don't understand what you want to say here either.
Reply 39
Original post by Dog4444
Honestly, I can't follow it from "This has no solutions if a..." . If you're trying to prove that there is no solutions, when x,y>0. Try x=4,y=2,z=5.You get 16+9=25.

I don't understand what you want to say here either.

"gcd(z2a,z+2a)=(z2a,2a+1)=1 "gcd(z-2^a,z+2^a)=(z-2^a,2^{a+1})=1

This line of yours is wrong is what I was trying to say. Consider z=2^{a+1}-2^{1}.

I will write out a full solution tomorrow morning. And with regards to earlier I was aware of that solution actually. it occurs when a-m=1, but i'm pretty sure it is the only one of its kind- was just hurrying with the latex cos i got to sleep..
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest