Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you deal with people who say they have no money but...

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    ...blow so much money on unnecessary purchases?

seriously these people drive me up the wall!:mad: one of our female friends constantly moans that she doesnt have enough money to chip in for alcohol, pizza or anything else we are sharing. she complains she has to survive on pot noodles and tins of beans on toast but then later on, she talks about how she bought several outfits, spent about £100 on dying her hair at the hairdressers and other pointless purchases. why doesnt she get her priorities in order?:mad:

another guy who i know spends so much on technology. always buying the latest phone (normally an Apple iphone), spending loads on video games and so on. he even bought an expensive new laptop (he already had 3!) with his student loan. he always complains he cant afford food and how he is always at the limit of his overdraft. but is that no surprise when he spends spends spends and doesnt have a clue how to save?:mad:

these people drive me so mad how do you deal with these types of people?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's their money, they can do as they please with it. If they want to have any alcohol/ food etc. then they either pay or you d on't let them have any.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just save up and tell them to stop spending on unnecessary stuff.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Without these people you would be living in a very different world.

Oh and #firstworldproblem lol
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robotwars)
    ...blow so much money on unnecessary purchases?

seriously these people drive me up the wall!:mad: one of our female friends constantly moans that she doesnt have enough money to chip in for alcohol, pizza or anything else we are sharing. she complains she has to survive on pot noodles and tins of beans on toast but then later on, she talks about how she bought several outfits, spent about £100 on dying her hair at the hairdressers and other pointless purchases. why doesnt she get her priorities in order?:mad:

another guy who i know spends so much on technology. always buying the latest phone (normally an Apple iphone), spending loads on video games and so on. he even bought an expensive new laptop (he already had 3!) with his student loan. he always complains he cant afford food and how he is always at the limit of his overdraft. but is that no surprise when he spends spends spends and doesnt have a clue how to save?:mad:

these people drive me so mad how do you deal with these types of people?
    If you're sharing and she isn't chipping in, don't let her have any.
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but why is it any of your business what they choose to spend their money on? Unless they're sponging off you it's not a problem. My friends sometimes have a go at me for not wanting to go out clubbing and on random weekends away- but I'd much prefer to be able to live a comfortable lifestyle. Whereas they choose to eat rubbish all week and then go out at the weekend, which it is of course their right to do.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Sorry but why is it any of your business what they choose to spend their money on? Unless they're sponging off you it's not a problem. My friends sometimes have a go at me for not wanting to go out clubbing and on random weekends away- but I'd much prefer to be able to live a comfortable lifestyle. Whereas they choose to eat rubbish all week and then go out at the weekend, which it is of course their right to do.
    :ditto: Another exception if they're a friend is if they're addicted to the point where they will steal or end up homeless to carry on spending on whatever it is. If they're not sponging off you and they wont end up on the streets leave them be. If they're sponging off you tell them to piss off , if they're addicted help where you can but you need to know you might fail and be prepared for that.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's up to them what they spend their money on. If they aren't chipping in, don't let them have any. Simple.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't care what people spend their money on, if they want the latest iPhone which in turn forces them to live off 10p noodles and bread for 6 weeks that's no concern of mine if they voluntarily opt for a stint of malnutrition. However if they begin to moan about it or when they begin to sponge off me that's when I start to care and draw a line. If people are annoying you by moaning about their situation just tell them to change the record and suck it up, if they're not contributing towards group purchases don't like them have anything.

You can't force people to be good at controlling their impulse purchases. Sometimes you just have to let them get on with it even it that means them getting into financial difficulties or other tricky situations. Some people need to make mistakes in order to learn from them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If they're turning up to group activities knowing they haven't got any money, and that other people will have to pay for them, then thats out of order. In those situtations I think it would be quite reasonable for anyone to refuse to chip in for them, & point out to them that maybe they could have done without their third new phone of the year.

As for the other people who are spending so much that they can't afford to eat properly, as annoying as it might be to hear them complain, thats their business and you can't really lecture them about it.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gosh, four angry faces and one in the title ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	obamam-lol-y-u-mad-tho_large.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	139654
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Get them a Je-... Financial advisor.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 4, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.