The Student Room Group

how many hours a day over easter do you guys revise?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
> Revise for 1 1/2 months constantly
> Spend 3 months worrying about your results

Pick 1
Everyone saying it's the 'harsh reality' that you have to 'push to 8-9 hours' in order to get AAA; that's simply untrue. Yes, a good deal of revision IS necessary, but to act as if 8-9 hours per day is the bare minimum in order to achieve these grades is ridiculous. Last year for my AS exams I revised for about 4 hours of concentrated revision per day in the holidays, and took weekends/evenings off. When I went back to school I tried to do 3 hours of revision per day with weekend evenings and Sundays off. I achieved AAA in English, History and RS. You do need to revise and put the work in, no doubt about it (and I probably haven't done as much as I should this year yet) but please, try and stop scaring people. It's just not necessary. Just work as hard as you can and make sure you give yourself some time off to do whatever you enjoy!

Hahaha love it that I got negged for saying what I think, clearly by someone scaremongering other people. Everyone doesn't need to do 10 hours of revision a day to get good grades, get over it!
(edited 12 years ago)
I agree with the person above. I did about 2-3 hours a day starting in the christmas holidays for my january modules and got AAA (all over 90%). It's really just about how effectively you revise, and exam technique is important too. There's no point spending 6+ hours a day learning content if you don't know how to apply it to exam questions.
Stop freaking out, most of the people here will probably get good grades without 8-9 hours.
Reply 143
To put it simply, not nearly enough hours.
Original post by cherrybombbb
Everyone saying it's the 'harsh reality' that you have to 'push to 8-9 hours' in order to get AAA; that's simply untrue. Yes, a good deal of revision IS necessary, but to act as if 8-9 hours per day is the bare minimum in order to achieve these grades is ridiculous. Last year for my AS exams I revised for about 4 hours of concentrated revision per day in the holidays, and took weekends/evenings off. When I went back to school I tried to do 3 hours of revision per day with weekend evenings and Sundays off. I achieved AAA in English, History and RS. You do need to revise and put the work in, no doubt about it (and I probably haven't done as much as I should this year yet) but please, try and stop scaring people. It's just not necessary. Just work as hard as you can and make sure you give yourself some time off to do whatever you enjoy!

Hahaha love it that I got negged for saying what I think, clearly by someone scaremongering other people. Everyone doesn't need to do 10 hours of revision a day to get good grades, get over it!

I have no idea why you have been negged for this, when this is so true! Plenty of people do not need to be doing 8 hours everyday for over a month before the exam.. Often this can be unhealthy and lead to you burning out before you get into the exam room.
I have 12 essays to do for Philosophy. Between the beginning of the holidays and now I've done 2 1/2 paragraphs (they each need to be about 2 pages long). And that's without the subjects I actually want to do at university (French and Spanish)! I think the technical term for my situation is '****ed' :yy::badger:
Reply 146
Original post by Mojojojo
At the beginning of the holidays i was saying 'my subjects turned out a lot harder than i expected, i seriously am going to revise every day, and go to all workshops available after'.
Now... I'VE DONE NOTHING AT ALL!
I'm going to fail, and i know i am at this rate, but i can't bring myself to change. :frown:

High five! im in the same position as you...
Original post by QwertyG
> Revise for 1 1/2 months constantly
> Spend 3 months worrying about your results

Pick 1

I think you have oversimplified this a tad. I do both after all.
I do mostly essay subjects so I have been condensing my notes and then once there full condensed I will use them to do past papers, if I do well on past papers according to my teachers marking then I know I can just revise the stuff on the sheets. Closer to the exams I also have a read through mark schemes and examiners reports for the last few years, you can pick up a few handy techniques that way.
ATM I am averaging about 2 hours revision in a day in these holidays, could do more but I have sort of grown complacent after my results in january, hopefully pick it up. I still don't feel the pressure yet :frown:
I've promised myself I'll get up at 8am tomorrow...let's see how this goes.
Reply 150
5/6 hours. I've found that more than this is unattainable and with reasonable targets you actually achieve more and get more out of it! I took easter weekend off Friday through Sunday right enough, so I should probably be doing more. Oh well, I feel like I'm doing enough anyway. I honestly believe that keeping up a consistently reasonable level of work is better than freaking out and trying to do 10 hours a day: you just end up stressed out that way!

Also, I'm Scottish, so my exams are a bit earlier (the latter half of may).
Original post by ninjalamb

Same, Challenge Accepted!
Reply 152

Lol, I'll be up for 7. For the Formula1 though :biggrin:.
Original post by deano0417
Same, Challenge Accepted!

Original post by f1mad
Lol, I'll be up for 7. For the Formula1 though :biggrin:.

I at least managed 9am :smile:
Reply 154

Got up at 6.45 :tongue:.
It's made me feel so much better spending fifteen minutes reading through this thread, seeing how little revision everyone else has been doing. Not only am I reassured that my own astounding lack of effort will not impact my results whatsoever, but I have also killed another 15 minutes of the day in which I might otherwise be revising! SCORE!

fml
Reply 156
So far: literally none at all.
I wish i had the determination to revise... i've tried a few times this easter and I WILL (maybe) start today.

I've never really been one for revising loads though, normally start about 6 weeks before and only do half an hour per subject per day :smile:
Reply 157

It isn't even getting up early that's the problem, it's actually starting to work :tongue:
Original post by Wish I Could Change This
None so far, just been finishing off homework then I'll look at proper revision in a week or so. I don't like starting early as I don't do it sincerely if the exams seem far away and therefore it isn't effective.

Oh dear, I totally for got I had homework :eek4: Why give homework when we have revision to do!! Grr
Original post by ..lauren
It isn't even getting up early that's the problem, it's actually starting to work :tongue:

Agreed...I've been up for 2 hours and I have done nothing.

SOMEONE MOTIVATE ME!!!

Quick Reply

Latest