Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you listen to music by people you don't like (as people)?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i do. just because the person[s] is a cock doesnt mean they dont make good music :rolleyes:
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sure why not? Lars Ulrich is one of the biggest ***** in the history of music, but the first 2 Metallica albums are great. Even if his drumming sucks and always has sucked.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes. The Smiths, Prince, Oasis. Three of my favourite artists/bands ever.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I can't listen to dead people's songs though, hearing Amy Winehouse or Michael Jackson's voice just creeps me out!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well, I never liked Amy Winehouse but I still like the song Rehab.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stripe)
    Yes. I can't listen to dead people's songs though, hearing Amy Winehouse or Michael Jackson's voice just creeps me out!
    That rules out quite a lot of amazing music.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    Sure why not? Lars Ulrich is one of the biggest ***** in the history of music, but the first 2 Metallica albums are great. Even if his drumming sucks and always has sucked.
    Haha was about to post something similar to this. Lars Ulrich is such a dickhead, urgh.

I listen to Tupac sometimes despite not liking him as a person. And I've sung along to Rihanna before :emo:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomclarky)
    That rules out quite a lot of amazing music.
    Michael Jackson - yes.
    Amy Winehouse - no.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't think of any specific examples, but I don't rule out any songs because I don't like the person. I suppose a lot of rap stuff would apply here. I like some Lil Wayne/Young Money songs but I don't agree with the attitude they express in their songs a lot...

For my favourite artists though I seem to find they're really nice people
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Axl Rose is hardly a shining light at times, yet he's my favourite singer/performer/musician.
    And that's after the Reading/Leeds 2010 fiasco's (I was at both gigs, just for GN'R)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stripe)
    I get what you mean. When they died (including Whitney Houston) the music channels always played their music and I always had to change it. Listening to them unsettled me quite a bit but i get over it after a few weeks.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hate Bono... still listen to U2.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SleepySheep)
    Haha was about to post something similar to this. Lars Ulrich is such a dickhead, urgh.

I listen to Tupac sometimes despite not liking him as a person. And I've sung along to Rihanna before :emo:
    He's a self righteous **** who won't admit he's sold out, when he's the biggest sell out on the planet bar none.

He need's to hear this quote by Lemmy from Motorhead.

"I'm not ashamed of anything we've done yet. Coz having a career like this in what is essentially an artistic medium, and selling your ass for money, which is very easy to do, you know. Several people tried to make us do it and I'm not interested in it. If I have to die and be on my death bed regretting decisions I've made, I'm not interested in that man. I wanna die completely satisfied that I did the best I could.You know what I mean? And I think selling your heart is real prostitution."
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
    He's a self righteous **** who won't admit he's sold out, when he's the biggest sell out on the planet bar none.

He need's to hear this quote by Lemmy from Motorhead.

"I'm not ashamed of anything we've done yet. Coz having a career like this in what is essentially an artistic medium, and selling your ass for money, which is very easy to do, you know. Several people tried to make us do it and I'm not interested in it. If I have to die and be on my death bed regretting decisions I've made, I'm not interested in that man. I wanna die completely satisfied that I did the best I could.You know what I mean? And I think selling your heart is real prostitution."
    Haha agreed. Aside from the whole Napster thing which is just embarrassing, he thinks he's a waaaay better drummer than he actually is. Urgh :sigh:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Asking Alexandria. I have no respect for them as people, and i won't give them my money.

But i do enjoy their music.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like The Smiths, can't stand Morrissey.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecrimsonidol)
    Axl Rose is hardly a shining light at times, yet he's my favourite singer/performer/musician.
    And that's after the Reading/Leeds 2010 fiasco's (I was at both gigs, just for GN'R)
    I read Slash's autobiography (great read by the way) and that showed me a different side to Axl. He was prone to throwing tantrums alright

Amazing musician though, I agree :five:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pi!)
    I like The Smiths, can't stand Morrissey.
    I have a feeling this might be a popular opinion
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Smiths, but I died a little inside when I found out Morrissey was a racist git :no:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 10, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.