The Student Room Group

Do you floss every day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nightingale
It isn't - there are small enough bits of food that get between your teeth. Try flossing after you brush your teeth and you'll see stuff on the floss.
I live with a dentist so I'd know this. :biggrin:

If you happened to lose your teeth by 35 I seriously doubt not flossing your teeth was the cause of it. More likely because the person didn't look after their teeth in general, i.e. Not brushing, not using mouthwash, eating lots of sugary food etc.

If a person took such good care of their teeth to the point where flossing was the only thing they didn't do, their teeth will remain perfectly fine, they wouldn't lose it by 35.
Original post by Ice Constricter
If you happened to lose your teeth by 35 I seriously doubt not flossing your teeth was the cause of it. More likely because the person didn't look after their teeth in general, i.e. Not brushing, not using mouthwash, eating lots of sugary food etc.

If a person took such good care of their teeth to the point where flossing was the only thing they didn't do, their teeth will remain perfectly fine, they wouldn't lose it by 35.

Well well but plaque-induced gingivitis will build up - toothbrushes can't clean in between teeth like floss does.
Are you a dentist? Cause what I'm saying is backed up by one.
And I'm not 35 :s-smilie: that number was just me tryina say 'you'll lose your teeth earlier'
I normally floss. But as im chinese, people often find it funny to blindfold me with it.
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
I've just started to, it's very unpleasant and annoyingly fiddly work.

Lol try flossing when you have braces- nightmare! You can use those flossing stick things too, they're not as fiddly :smile:

Well well but plaque-induced gingivitis will build up - toothbrushes can't clean in between teeth like floss does.
And I'm not 35 :s-smilie: that number was just me tryina say 'you'll lose your teeth earlier'

Yeah you're right. Bacteria are TINY and a lot of them sit between the teeth as your toothbrush can't reach there. If you never floss it'll keep building up and start to spread below the gumline and you don't want that.
Occasionally, as said above usually after having meat or fruit or something where bits get stuck in your teeth.

Brushing after breakfast and last thing at night, with Listerine mouthwash seems to work for me.
i try to floss as often as i can but i still haven't mastered a technique yet, i just end up dribbling on myself :frown:
Reply 26
Wouldn't kiss a mouth unflossed - people need to floss more it's crucial for a good hygiene if you don't want to lose your teeth at 35!

:tongue:

The results actually scare me. I can't believe that people would allow food to stay between their teeth and rot.

Trust me people, it's better to spend 10 minutes flossing each night than losing your teeth or having bad breath as a result of the rotting food. Don't forget to clean your tongue too.
Nobody in my family has ever flossed, and there is not a filling between us. Brushing twice a day with listerine mouthwash seems to be working perfectly well.
Original post by Infallible
The results actually scare me. I can't believe that people would allow food to stay between their teeth and rot.

Trust me people, it's better to spend 10 minutes flossing each night than losing your teeth or having bad breath as a result of the rotting food. Don't forget to clean your tongue too.

http://youtu.be/qwhlqRJ8LVA
:rolleyes:
Reply 29

I can't be bothered watching your propaganda, but I'm not speaking about a tongue scraper on a toothbrush. I'm speaking about an independent tongue scraper.

But, if you're happy letting food rot in your mouth, so be it.

I didn't say you were 35, I just gave an example :s-smilie:

And I don't know why you keep bringing up the advantages of flossing your teeth. I'm not saying flossing isn't a good thing, obviously flossing and brushing your teeth is better than just brushing alone, just like how brushing and using mouthwash is better than just brushing alone. But the fact remains that not flossing your teeth can still leave you with relatively healthy teeth anyway. I've seen it for myself (in family, friends etc) so there's no point arguing.

Many tribes in Africa simply use what is known as chewing sticks to clean their teeth, and they're known for having better teeth than Europeans. I mean you hear that africans are starving, no access to clean water, have high risks of catching diseases and illnesses and such, but you never hear about dental problems.
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teeth_cleaning_twig

And I think you're forgetting, or at least undermining the effect someone's diet has on their teeth. Flossing isn't the be all and end all since there are many other (arguably far more important) factors that need to be taken into consideration when assessing the state and health of an individuals teeth.
Reply 31
No, I should do though.
Original post by Frodo Baggins
I normally floss. But as im chinese, people often find it funny to blindfold me with it.

Your comment makes me think :troll: and I do not like you.
I floss twice daily and my dentist has little work to do now, luck gal. Gum disease = higher risk of heart problems.
Original post by SubAtomic
Your comment makes me think :troll: and I do not like you.

Your comment makes me think:hump: and i REALLY like you.
Yes, I do.
Reply 36
Original post by Sazzy890
I didn't floss at all (I had tried in the past but didn't really like it, I always got scared when the string got stuck as it was a very tight squeeze getting them between my teeth. It put me off), however since then I've had problems with my front teeth and my dentist immediately said there is absolutely nothing wrong with my brushing, it is the fact that I need to floss waaaay more. Now I do it twice a day.

hmmm, well done think I'll just aim for once a day though:biggrin:

Original post by BefuddledPenguin
I've just started to, it's very unpleasant and annoyingly fiddly work.

agreed

Has anyone else's dentist except mine never mentioned flossing to them before, find that a bit odd.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm applying for Dentistry this year and have never flossed in my life :lol:.
Reply 38
Original post by rac1
hmmm, well done think I'll just aim for once a day though:biggrin:

Once a day is still good :yep: If I lack time I will just make sure to do it at night because that's after I have had food during the day.
Original post by Ayshizzle
Lol try flossing when you have braces- nightmare! You can use those flossing stick things too, they're not as fiddly :smile:

I hear you. Using a combination of the pipe-cleaner type things, and those wooden sticks. Both are pretty ****ty, the sticks break easily, and brushes seem designed for people with cavernous gaps between their teeth. But both are easier than threading floss through a brace.

Quick Reply

Latest