The Student Room Group

Do you floss every day?

Scroll to see replies

Brush, clean tongue, floss and mouthwash twice a day. I'm quite shocked at this actually, I don't think my mouth would feel clean if I didn't.
Twice a day, and sometimes between meals if I can be bothered. But I wear invisalign so it's not like I really have a choice :tongue:
Original post by llessur123
Brush, clean tongue, floss and mouthwash twice a day. I'm quite shocked at this actually, I don't think my mouth would feel clean if I didn't.

You don't have to use mouthwash twice a day.

The most important aspect of brushing is to make sure you do it just before you go to sleep and one other time throughout the day (normally in the morning).
Reply 43
Original post by grad_dentist

The most important aspect of brushing is to make sure you do it just before you go to sleep and one other time throughout the day (normally in the morning).

My dentist told me to use mouthwash twice a day but that's only because I have weak teeth so need plenty of fluoride.

My mouthwash is the daily stuff so I just assumed you use it twice. Mouthwash leaves your mouth feeling really fresh though so I quite enjoy it lol.
Reply 45
Original post by llessur123
My mouthwash is the daily stuff so I just assumed you use it twice. Mouthwash leaves your mouth feeling really fresh though so I quite enjoy it lol.

Meh, don't change what works :biggrin: If you feel fresher doing that and your teeth are healthy then there's no point changing it :smile:
Original post by Sazzy890
My dentist told me to use mouthwash twice a day but that's only because I have weak teeth so need plenty of fluoride.

Yes, those at risk of caries are advised to use 0.05% Flouride mouthwash daily. Did (s)he offer you fluoride varnish?
Reply 47
Yes, those at risk of caries are advised to use 0.05% Flouride mouthwash daily. Did (s)he offer you fluoride varnish?

He's going to prescribe me a fluoride toothpaste when I go back for treatment but he told me to use mouthwash twice a day as well.
He's going to prescribe me a fluoride toothpaste when I go back for treatment but he told me to use mouthwash twice a day as well.

That should hopefully keep your teeth nice and strong. :biggrin:
Reply 49

lol
but this makes sense though.
http://goaskalice.columbia.edu/tongue-brushing-necessary

Original post by Ice Constricter
I didn't say you were 35, I just gave an example :s-smilie:

And I don't know why you keep bringing up the advantages of flossing your teeth. I'm not saying flossing isn't a good thing, obviously flossing and brushing your teeth is better than just brushing alone, just like how brushing and using mouthwash is better than just brushing alone. But the fact remains that not flossing your teeth can still leave you with relatively healthy teeth anyway. I've seen it for myself (in family, friends etc) so there's no point arguing.

Many tribes in Africa simply use what is known as chewing sticks to clean their teeth, and they're known for having better teeth than Europeans. I mean you hear that africans are starving, no access to clean water, have high risks of catching diseases and illnesses and such, but you never hear about dental problems.
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teeth_cleaning_twig

And I think you're forgetting, or at least undermining the effect someone's diet has on their teeth. Flossing isn't the be all and end all since there are many other (arguably far more important) factors that need to be taken into consideration when assessing the state and health of an individuals teeth.

what happens when you get a splinter though--Ouch!
Reply 50
That should hopefully keep your teeth nice and strong. :biggrin:

Out of interest, where can I see how much fluoride is in each product I use? You said that 0.05% so I just wondered how I would know if I am using that much.
Out of interest, where can I see how much fluoride is in each product I use? You said that 0.05% so I just wondered how I would know if I am using that much.

I have the Oral B one, I've just checked the back of the bottle and beneath the ingredients it says ''Contains Sodium Fluoride 0.05%".

Edit: Also when you brush, spit the excess toothpaste out, but do not rinse with water. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
I have the Oral B one, I've just checked the back of the bottle and beneath the ingredients it says ''Contains Sodium Fluoride 0.05%".

Edit: Also when you brush, spit the excess toothpaste out, however do not rinse with water. :biggrin:

Also, you'll be pleased to know that I never rinse with water :proud:

Also, you'll be pleased to know that I never rinse with water :proud:

Very good. I hope all my future patients are as compliant as you. :cool:
Reply 54
Very good. I hope all my future patients are as compliant as you. :cool:

Haha, I don't want to lose my teeth. Plus I know there's no point rinsing with water otherwise you're washing the fluoride away, what's the point in that? :tongue:

I've cut A LOT of sugar out of my diet too. But if I do have anything acidic I was told that neutralising the mouth with cheese or milk is a good idea?

(sorry, taking this thread slightly off-topic from flossing :ninja: although it is still about oral hygiene so it's not entirely off-topic!)
Every other day.
Haha, I don't want to lose my teeth. Plus I know there's no point rinsing with water otherwise you're washing the fluoride away, what's the point in that? :tongue:

I've cut A LOT of sugar out of my diet too. But if I do have anything acidic I was told that neutralising the mouth with cheese or milk is a good idea?

(sorry, taking this thread slightly off-topic from flossing :ninja: although it is still about oral hygiene so it's not entirely off-topic!)

I'm a bit unsure about the milk and/or cheese bit, but when reading about caries I read fluoride works by neutralising the pH in the mouth and therefore aiding the remineralisation of the enamel, so maybe milk and cheese helps in the same way :lol:.

The best thing to do is continue brushing (at least once at night before sleeping), using your mouthwash, spitting and not rinsing after brushing and reducing the frequency at which you consume sugary foods throughout the day. Keep all this good work up and your teeth should remain healthy. :biggrin:

My knowledge comes from shadowing a dentist and reading around a few topics, I'm only a prospective applicant for 2013 entry. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Frodo Baggins
Your comment makes me think:hump: and i REALLY like you.

Hahaha confirmed:wink:
Nope, have metal retainers glued to the back of my teeth, floss physically won't go between them.
Reply 59
If you voted yes, you're a liar.

Quick Reply

Latest