Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MHoC Newspaper

Announcements Posted on
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    blueray that would lead to perpetual electioneering throughout the six month term which I don't think works all term round. Rory's idea of having a newsletter thread might be good however I think what we need is to promote it more. - The two PMs sent out during the election campaign truly bolstered turnout.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why not have a column/reader's article section, where users can write an article and it can be published along with the newspaper? This might increase activity, especially if we have some kind of discussion thread, and even more if the column is controversial
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CyclopsRock)
    I'm struggling to see the purpose of it. Does it have a goal? Is it to inform? Entertain? Proletyse to the unwashed masses thus far uninvolved? I think we need to decide that before working out whether it's 1) desirable 2) anyone wants to do it and 3) any of the practical questions that've been raised.

For example, I scarcely see the point of a paper to inform. The only people that'd read it are those that already know.
    Generally, I find activity begets activity. If potential members see us increasing our contributions and actively striving to maintain a full and vibrant House, not only in terms of legislation, but also in terms of discussion, then becoming involved in the House seems a much more attractive proposition. Beyond that, it widens the scope of the House. Bills can often be a little frightening to approach, but a position on a writing team would be an excellent starting point for many people. Some people prefer to comment on the work of others than submit work of their own in the first place. A newsletter could provide for both those groups.

That said, I do think we have to be careful it doesn't get bogged down by permanent electioneering. I do think there's a point to a newsletter, but I think we should talk through the details a little more first.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopHat)
    Generally, I find activity begets activity. If potential members see us increasing our contributions and actively striving to maintain a full and vibrant House, not only in terms of legislation, but also in terms of discussion, then becoming involved in the House seems a much more attractive proposition. Beyond that, it widens the scope of the House. Bills can often be a little frightening to approach, but a position on a writing team would be an excellent starting point for many people. Some people prefer to comment on the work of others than submit work of their own in the first place. A newsletter could provide for both those groups.

That said, I do think we have to be careful it doesn't get bogged down by permanent electioneering. I do think there's a point to a newsletter, but I think we should talk through the details a little more first.
    I agree with your point TopHat that Bills seem a little frightening, especially to me when I put myself forward to be an MP. I don't know what the Bills can be about. But I think, especially for newer members, it would let them familiarise themselves with the TSR Parliament and its members and let them gain their own ideas for the future.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think that you'd be able to put this together without Speaker involvement? I'm not much of a writer or editor, so while I look forward to seeing this go ahead and would be happy to help out where I can, I wouldn't be the best person to be invovled on a day-to-day basis.

What I would suggest you do before anything else is get an editor in place so that there's someone to recieve and action the other suggestions that have come in. If you would all prefer for the editor to be elected, I'm happy to run an election.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    Do you guys think that you'd be able to put this together without Speaker involvement? I'm not much of a writer or editor, so while I look forward to seeing this go ahead and would be happy to help out where I can, I wouldn't be the best person to be invovled on a day-to-day basis.

What I would suggest you do before anything else is get an editor in place so that there's someone to recieve and action the other suggestions that have come in. If you would all prefer for the editor to be elected, I'm happy to run an election.
    Metrobeans, the current issue I have is that some people have expressed a view that they don't see the point of having a newspaper. I'd want to make sure that people would actually bother to read the newspaper we produce otherwise there's no point continuing this...

So, who's up for actively supporting a newspaper?

Also, I'm happy to put myself forward to work on the newspaper team.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd read it.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I'd read it.
    Great! Anyone else?
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    It could also include an element of speculation/rumour. RL parliament has Guido to keep it on its toes.
    I love the idea of a TSR Guido Fawkes!
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are already enough rumors and leaks floating around as it is frankly, i never realised how dirty coalition politics could be until this week.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    I love the idea of a TSR Guido Fawkes!
    As Rakas points out, there's a lot of dirt under the surface here. As an anti-establishment indie I volunteer for the duty of compiling this dirt into column inches for the newspaper.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear..
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    As I am not yet TSR jaded; I think it sounds exciting. I will await further developments...

<3 x
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd be willing to help out, but there might be periods when I can't do as much as I ordinarily would be able to
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    How often do we think a newsletter/paper should be published? Monthly? Fortnightly? Weekly?

Thoughts guys.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    How often do we think a newsletter/paper should be published? Monthly? Fortnightly? Weekly?

Thoughts guys.
    Fortnightly I think would be enough :P

What format would it be in though? Microsoft Word, Publisher etc.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moleman1996)

I agree, fortnightly.

I think we could use Google Docs and put it into a GD Word Document. We would then be able to collaborate on the document and not have to worry about saving it in file formats and compatibility with different computers. Once completed, we can export it to our computers then publish it using a publishing website then embed the publication in a sticky thread.
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    I agree, fortnightly.

I think we could use Google Docs and put it into a GD Word Document. We would then be able to collaborate on the document and not have to worry about saving it in file formats and compatibility with different computers. Once completed, we can export it to our computers then publish it using a publishing website then embed the publication in a sticky thread.

(Original post by Moleman1996)

I was going to link you to the old copy of the TSR Gazette, but it isn't online any more. Ham and Cheese may have a copy though:

(Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    QFA
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I was going to link you to the old copy of the TSR Gazette, but it isn't online any more. Ham and Cheese may have a copy though:
    Unfortunately not. The idea was not popular at the time, so although it was discussed, it never actually went anywhere. I hope this second bite at the idea works though
    • 47 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham and Cheese)
    Unfortunately not. The idea was not popular at the time, so although it was discussed, it never actually went anywhere. I hope this second bite at the idea works though
    We got one issue out though.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 26, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE results day

Waiting for your grades? Let off some steam in our results chat megathread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.