Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who ranks as the greatest Prime Minister of the last 100 years?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Who ranks as the greatest Prime Minister of the last 100 years?
    David Cameron
    2.65%
    Gordan Brown
    3.53%
    Tony Blair
    6.76%
    John Major
    1.76%
    Margaret Thatcher
    27.06%
    James Callaghan
    0.59%
    Harold Wilson
    2.06%
    Edward Heath
    0.59%
    Sir Alec Douglas-Home
    0.88%
    Harold Macmillian
    0.88%
    Sir Anthony Eden
    0.29%
    Sir Winston Churchill
    26.47%
    Clement Attlee
    24.41%
    Neville Chamberlain
    0.88%
    Stanley Baldwin
    0%
    Ramsay MacDonald
    1.18%

• 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Churchill as a war leader. Why isn't David Lloyd George, PM from 1916-1922 in the poll?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    *looks at result*

And they say The Student Room is full of stubborn Conservatives.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonotrly)
    *looks at result*

And they say The Student Room is full of stubborn Conservatives.
    I can't help but fail to understand this and it drives me bonkers. I'm probably on the right, lord knows my family think so and my Uni (ironically in Clem's heartland) has done its damndest to turn me Tory and I probably am a wee bit on the right, though with a strong social conscience but that woman had none. A Prime Minister is a national figure, and TSR has opted for the most partisan, and divisive one of the lot.

Churchill, I could understand why the propaganda enforced image of him would make you want to vote for him (for his first, most definitely not his second premiership).
    Asquith deserves a good crack of the whip, but on most people's criteria for voting Churchill, Lloyd George should be right up there, yet he's been forgotten completely!

I just don't see how it can't be given to Attlee. He did what he said he was going to do much more than any of the other candidates, and what he said he was going to do was agreeable to a lot more of the population than any of the other manifestos... how does Maggie figure!?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wilson or Atlee for me
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I voted for tony Blair.

sorry I misread the thread. I thought it was asking for which prime ministers body would you like to see hanging at traitors gate.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For me personally Atlee, on another note where is David LLoyd George in this poll?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thatcher no question, for me.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamesbriton)
    For me personally Atlee, on another note where is David LLoyd George in this poll?
    Attlee

For the last time...!

Incidentally, the second 'l' in 'Lloyd George' is not capitalised.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuerin)
    Attlee

For the last time...!

Incidentally, the second 'l' in 'Lloyd George' is not capitalised.
    Wow, who sits on a forum and corrects peoples gramatical mistakes, think you need to get out more dude!
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow, who sits on a forum and corrects peoples gramatical mistakes, think you need to get out more dude!
    I don't make it my occupation to correct grammatical mistakes. It's just come by one too many times on this particular thread and it's irritating to see people lauding him as the greatest PM of the twentieth century without even knowing how to spell his name.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't make it my occupation to correct grammatical mistakes. It's just come by one too many times on this particular thread and it's irritating to see people lauding him as the greatest PM of the twentieth century without even knowing how to spell his name.
    Most people arent fussed or irratated by simple gramatical errors, why should you be then? Maybe its because you fantasise about being Napoloen so you have some sort of inferiority complex (oh look no full stop, you mad?)
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    No David Lloyd George

Everyone is bound to say Tony Blair and Maggie. There are many factors to take into account for example style and achievements.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Most people arent fussed or irratated by simple gramatical errors, why should you be then? Maybe its because you fantasise about being Napoloen so you have some sort of inferiority complex (oh look no full stop, you mad?)
    Poor grammar is forgivable. Poor reasoning is not.

Your logic:

- I am irritated by repeated spelling mistakes;
    - I therefore fantasise about being Napoleon I
    - I therefore have 'some sort of inferiority complex'

:top:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Poor grammar is forgivable. Poor reasoning is not.

Your logic:

- I am irritated by repeated spelling mistakes;
    - I therefore fantasise about being Napoleon I
    - I therefore have 'some sort of inferiority complex'

:top:
    Constantly correcting grammer is childish, and seems like your trying to prove that you are superior to other people, when believe me you're not, also you believe currently at Austerlitz pwning the allies, which is embarassing
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Constantly correcting grammer is childish, and seems like your trying to prove that you are superior to other people, when believe me you're not, also you believe currently at Austerlitz pwning the allies, which is embarassing
    As I made clear in my first response to you, I don't make it my occupation to correct grammar. It is only because several people have now made that mistake that I wanted to impress the correct spelling on the thread. I was not trying to prove anything about myself to anyone. You are probably projecting your own insecurities.

If you're a member of the Allies I imagine it would be rather embarrassing, yes; he was decidedly outnumbered and still managed to achieve a Great victory.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Atlee.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As I made clear in my first response to you, I don't make it my occupation to correct grammar. It is only because several people have now made that mistake that I wanted to impress the correct spelling on the thread. I was not trying to prove anything about myself to anyone. You are probably projecting your own insecurities.

If you're a member of the Allies I imagine it would be rather embarrassing, yes; he was decidedly outnumbered and still managed to achieve a Great victory.
    im not projecting any insecurities believe me! What im projecting is that its very annoying when people are being grammer Nazis, so dont do it yeh!

Great victory yes, but he still lost in the end! In that case why dont you have Hitler as your profile picture?
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    Major, Thatcher and Blair were the greatest.

Brown, Callaghan and Wilson were the worst.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Major, Thatcher and Blair were the greatest.

Brown, Callaghan and Wilson were the worst.
    I would like to remind you that Major was weak due to scandals, a divided party over Europe and was a minority government at one point.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Attlee without a doubt, although it's very difficult to judge when the events that they governed over vary so much. For example, would Attlee have been a good Prime Minister in a world war? Would Churchill have been a good Prime Minister in a time of peace? Would Thatcher have been... wait nevermind.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 14, 2013
New on TSR

GCSE results day

How to make sure you're prepared for Thursday

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.