Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If Britain went to war to protect her sovereignty would you answer the call?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Would you enlist to defend your country
    Yes
    39.69%
    No
    48.75%
    undecided
    11.56%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just curious and all but how many of you out their would enlist if the mother land was threatened? in a purely hypothetical sense say argentina and her band of merry men in Mercosur decided to invade the falklands and in turn make a bees line for Great Britain, would any of you enlist to protect britain and her citizens or stand by for what ever reason [please state]

may i ask why people are negging a simple hypothetical question ?:rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think i would, it's the right thing to do, but i will never know unless it becomes reality....
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd bugger off back to Sweden.

..... Come at me yo'
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nope, **** Britain, its socially doomed here.

What is the point in fighting for something not worth saving?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, cus I'm french
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I doubt I'd be able to enlist in the armed forces because I'm a lazy bugger and I'm not particularly fit But I would definitely try and help out in some way, driving or nursing or something. Depends on the scale of the conflict.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ras90)
    Nope, **** Britain, its socially doomed here.

What is the point in fighting for something not worth saving?
    what makes you say that...?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    No.

Why would I kill someone who didn't do anything to me?
    • 79 followers

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumsteele1)
    what makes you say that...?
    Because of the increasing numbers of people who grow up on benefits then having more children who do that (generations of people who dont work and take out of the sysmte).

Also, the lack of national harmony due to racial tensions (both based on religion and people from other countries).

Did election of George Galloway is almost a symbol for how this country is going.

No country has sucessfully operated when a relativly indignous population has been "invaded" by other people of other cultures.

It simply does not work.

I shall my self in just a few months time be leaving England to go to a country where this situation shall never occur (because they will not allow huge numbers in the country).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Let's give those Argies what for, lads!"

I would call, from my secure bunker far behind the front lines.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends really who was trying to invade........because quite frankly, this country would be much better off if we were ruled by someone else.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ras90)
    Because of the increasing numbers of people who grow up on benefits then having more children who do that (generations of people who dont work and take out of the sysmte).

Also, the lack of national harmony due to racial tensions (both based on religion and people from other countries).

Did election of George Galloway is almost a symbol for how this country is going.

No country has sucessfully operated when a relativly indignous population has been "invaded" by other people of other cultures.

It simply does not work.

I shall my self in just a few months time be leaving England to go to a country where this situation shall never occur (because they will not allow huge numbers in the country).

America
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nish81)
    America
    America is a crime against humanity.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    America
    I knew somebody would say that. Which is why I already had this responce prepared.

When people moved to America, they were establishing a new place together.

There was no pre set culture, everyone going there was "on the same team". Therefor it is a completely different situation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ras90)
    I knew somebody would say that. Which is why I already had this responce prepared.

When people moved to America, they were establishing a new place together.

There was no pre set culture, everyone going there was "on the same team". Therefor it is a completely different situation.

Of course it will depend on what actually mean by a successful country but I would say Malaysia and most of the Gulf states such as the Emirates, Kuwait etc pretty much fit in. You also have countries Switzerland, Monaco,Singapore, Maurituis,Hong Kong that have pretty large immigrant populations. It will depend on the integration model proposed to the immigrants I suppose.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bkeevin)
    Of course it will depend on what actually mean by a successful country but I would say Malaysia and most of the Gulf states such as the Emirates, Kuwait etc pretty much fit in.
    But they have similar cultures.

Malaysia isnt a big mix of incompatable cultures.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ras90)
    But they have similar cultures.

Malaysia isnt a big mix of incompatable cultures.
    I don't know if you mean religions like islam with Shariah Law and buddhism or christianity(2 next largest minority religions) are very compatible!!!

(PS: Sorry I editted my 1st post)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    America
    On the surface it seems like a decent argument. But it is not.

America was created by people holding more or less same values. Other cultures and races were crushed and/or enslaved. There was no culture, race or religious clash there.

And I think that is the main thing that makes people say that this country is not worth saving. It is just that UK is no longer like it was not so long ago, now this country looks like a patchwork of cultures that I think effectively kills the notion of country itself.

Poll may be a little bit extreme. But I wonder how many of people living in UK truly identify themselves with the country.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bkeevin)
    I don't know if you mean religions like islam with Shariah Law and buddhism or christianity(2 next largest minority religions) are very compatible!!!

(PS: Sorry I editted my 1st post)
    They are not because in practice western society is not bound by any religious rules. We eat what we want to eat, not fearing God sending us to hell for it, we **** before marriage because it is fun, we do not feel that wearing special clothes makes God happy, etc. in fact, western society IS NOT BOUND BY ANY RELIGIOUS RULES. And that is the difference.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.