Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

If Britain went to war to protect her sovereignty would you answer the call?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: Would you enlist to defend your country
    Yes
    39.69%
    No
    48.75%
    undecided
    11.56%

• 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, coz i do it everyday...on my PS3 PLAYING BATTLEFEILD 3. BOOYAA!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxiKillxXx)
    Most of you who claim they would are liars. A lot of you are scared of being mugged or beaten up let alone having your body riddled with bullets.
    and what possible authority do you speak under? you have no idea what people would or wouldnt do to defend their and their families lives. just because youd hide under the garden bench doesnt mean anyone else here would.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The falklands?

You mean if a nation with a credible military (not argentina) tried to invade the uk?

Yeh i suppose so. But I've considered a career in the military anyway so it's not that much of an issue. However those that didn't put themselves forward, i genuinely would hold nothing against them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Depends who and why. If it was the Nazis returned to set up some totalitarian regime then yes, if it was the french who just decided to invade for the hell of it (cant think of any other reason lol) then no. If Sarkozy is running the joint what difference does it make? France and Britain are similar first world developed European countries so if the French came and took over and didn't do anything evil then my life won't really be affected will it? People who fight "for their country" are really fighting for the current government in power. As for Argentina invading the Falklands I couldn't give half a rat's ass about that. If Britain lost how will my life be affected? Britain used to control a quarter of the planet. We lost it. People have to accept that countries lose and gain territory. Sure whoever cares is welcome to fight for it but I'm not one of them.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    Guessing you wouldn't fight for America's freedom either then?
    I'd be more likely to fight for the United States. It's the land of the free and the home of the brave, after all.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Addzter)
    I'd be more likely to fight for the United States. It's the land of the free and the home of the brave, after all.
    Lol land of the free? More like the land of the hypocrisy! :awesome:

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You mean if someone tried to invade our country?
    Each and every one of them would be dead by nightfall.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not to fight for stakes in land outside of britain. If London itself is threatened I would fight. My parents may be asian immigrants but I love it here. Don't plan on moving out. The kidders can kid themselves as much as they like and say the grass is greener is elsewhere. The opportunities are here for anyone who's willing to take them and few countries can match britain on that front.

Better here than in bangladesh.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumsteele1)
    and what possible authority do you speak under? you have no idea what people would or wouldnt do to defend their and their families lives. just because youd hide under the garden bench doesnt mean anyone else here would.
    Most people here are pussys to put it ''crudely''. Note I didn't say all. And okay then lol
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidTheYoung)
    I forget how much of a global economic and social power the great nation of Spain is..
    What has Spain got to do with anything? :confused:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why are people negging the OPs post? Are they morons?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't hold anything against those who say they would not fight, I completely understand that some peoples morality wont allow them to. However, I think that if it came to it then you should be given the option to do something else that would help: medical care, firefighter, teacher etc. I think that if the time came and everyone was needed then every man jack among us should be prepared to do his duty to his country one way another. Whether that be by wielding a rifle in the field or by caring for those that don't make it back safely. I do, however, object to people saying that they would do nothing. How can you be so blase? Are you really so selfish as to only think of yourselves? What of your families? Your friends families? The woman you love? The children yet to come? While I can accept that my life while not being a very luxurious one relative to some in this country, in terms of worldy relevance im very privileged and everyone in this country is. Seventy years ago this country stood on the brink of devastation and normal men looked into the abyss, and they saw darkness. And then, they said 'No more'. Seventy years ago millions of men around the world gave their lives so that we could have the freedom to debate the morality of doing the same ourselves. I would be ashamed to say that i dishonoured them by not answering the same call that they did. The call to defend my family, my friends, my land. my country. Endmund Burke said 'All that is require, for evil to triumph, is for the good men to do nothing' I like to think of myself as a good man, I do not wish for history to look back at me and say 'he was a man who stood aside while the world burned around him'. I want history to look back at me and say 'there was a man who though scared braced himself to his duty and did what he knew to be right and did not give into his fear, but fought for the freedom of his country and all those within it'. I am not naive and believe that I as one man could change a war, but I believe that if every man believes that together we can, then perhaps, the world will be a safer place. If the time came and the call went out, I would join, and I would fight. Id like to think you all agree with me, but again, im not that naive. But I hope those of you who disagree and would not fight would help in other ways. For wars are not only won on the field of battle, but at home also.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ras90)
    What has Spain got to do with anything? :confused:
    Ahh I saw a Spanish flag in the right hand corner of your information box thing. I put 2 + 2 together and must have got 5. My bad!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxiKillxXx)
    Most people here are pussys to put it ''crudely''. Note I didn't say all. And okay then lol
    and you would know this how...?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ras90)
    Nope, **** Britain, its socially doomed here.

What is the point in fighting for something not worth saving?
    :toofunny:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do you identify the gender of a country? Just out of interest. Why is Britain her and not his?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidTheYoung)
    Ahh I saw a Spanish flag in the right hand corner of your information box thing. I put 2 + 2 together and must have got 5. My bad!
    TSR wont let me remove that. Everytime i try to change it an error comes up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hate this country anyway. I hope we get invaded actually, at least then we may be ruled by men who have some balls and don't speak so much bs.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'd go to war for Middle Earth, Britain..not so sure.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm German and I'd actually defend Britain if it was threatened itself.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.