Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If Britain went to war to protect her sovereignty would you answer the call?

Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: Would you enlist to defend your country
    Yes
    39.69%
    No
    48.75%
    undecided
    11.56%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bkeevin)
    I don't know if you mean religions like islam with Shariah Law and buddhism or christianity(2 next largest minority religions) are very compatible!!!

(PS: Sorry I editted my 1st post)
    Agree with what Moa says below.

There is no example of what has happened and is happening here actually working. Its just a matter of time until there are huge social problems here.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    No! Why should I put my life on the line for a doomed country determined to consign me to abject poverty?

If the rich and the landowners (the 1%) want to take up arms to defend their lot then so be it, but I won't fight for their right to screw every last penny out of me (the 99%). It's give and take isn't it? You need to give people a stake in their own country to make it worth their while fighting for it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ras90)
    Agree with what Moa says below.

There is no example of what has happened and is happening here actually working. Its just a matter of time until there are huge social problems here.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/3...od-speech.html

Something to ponder. It seems eerily relevant in our own time (more so with Muslims than black people however).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nah, countries are by definition defined by arbitrary borders, and as such have no real existence. I see absolutely no logic in being so defensive of something without an actual reality, and in which I live due to nothing more than an accident of birth.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ras90)
    But they have similar cultures.

Malaysia isnt a big mix of incompatable cultures.
    Yes- because Hokkien-speaking Chinese Buddhists, Sarawakian animist tribes, Muslim Malays and Hindu Tamils are all so 'similar.'
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ras90)
    I knew somebody would say that. Which is why I already had this responce prepared.

When people moved to America, they were establishing a new place together.

There was no pre set culture, everyone going there was "on the same team". Therefor it is a completely different situation.
    Really? So the English-speaking Puritan settlers of New England, French-Canadian loggers in northern Maine, French-speaking Creoles in Louisiana, Hispanic settlers of precolonial Texas/Florida and disenfranchised African slaves were all 'on the same team?'

Ever heard of the American Civil War?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wait, are we arguing about a hypothetical situation where a country with a tiny military, that is continuously on the brink of bankruptcy, sails its midget navy several thousand miles and succeeds in destroying the defences of a nuclear armed state with the 3rd largest military spend in the world, such that conscription is necessary?

In that case sure, I'm in, I'll bring my battalion of laser equipped space pigs with me shall I?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the amount of negative responses is disappointing. To be British and not fight for Britain is pathetic. Leave if you feel your home is not worthy of defense. I am American and I am ex-military. I have fought, and British soldiers have fought along side with me. I don't care if your population has contempt for me or my nation. The politics is inconsequential to me. Great Britain is an ally that has supported the U.S.. I would fight to defend Great Britain because a promise has been made and a debt is owed. I would fight for Britain because my honor demands it, and so should yours.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to fight for a country I don't feel affinity for, let alone for a country that doesn't feel affinity to me.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    I might do
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_master616)
    I'm not going to fight for a country I don't feel affinity for, let alone for a country that doesn't feel affinity to me.
    And you think your new rulers will feel a greater affinity to you?
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course I would, no doubt about it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGX_RSV2)
    Depends really who was trying to invade........because quite frankly, this country would be much better off if we were ruled by someone else.
    Heh, the grass is always greener eh?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    And you think your new rulers will feel a greater affinity to you?
    Probably not, I wouldn't care tbh. I'd probably have emigrated long before that though
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckingalt)
    I think the amount of negative responses is disappointing. To be British and not fight for Britain is pathetic. Leave if you feel your home is not worthy of defense. I am American and I am ex-military. I have fought, and British soldiers have fought along side with me. I don't care if your population has contempt for me or my nation. The politics is inconsequential to me. Great Britain is an ally that has supported the U.S.. I would fight to defend Great Britain because a promise has been made and a debt is owed. I would fight for Britain because my honor demands it, and so should yours.
    To use the jargon of the occupy movement why should the 99% put their life on the line to defend to wealth and privilege of the 1%? If the UK was a truly democratic nation that took care of it's own and disbursed economic opportunity it may be something worth fighting for, but in it's current kleptocratic condition? No thanks. You'd have to be a real indoctrinated flag waving tool to defend an organisation that couldn't give a damn about you. I respect the bravery of the armed forces, but it's a job for those that aren't in the habit of asking too many questions.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckingalt)
    Quite rightly said! We need more Americans to be like you!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    M'sia's a turdhole, end of
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumsteele1)
    Just curious and all but how many of you out their would enlist if the mother land was threatened? in a purely hypothetical sense say argentina and her band of merry men in Mercosur decided to invade the falklands and in turn make a bees line for Great Britain, would any of you enlist to protect britain and her citizens or stand by for what ever reason [please state]
    Of course I would!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    To use the jargon of the occupy movement why should the 99% put their life on the line to defend to wealth and privilege of the 1%? If the UK was a truly deomocratic nation that took care of it's own and disbursed economic opportunity it may be something worth fighting for, but in it's current kleptocratic condition? No thanks. You'd have to be a real indoctrinated flag waving tool to defend an organisation that couldn't give a damn about you. I respect the bravery of the armed forces, but it's a job for those that aren't in the habit of asking too many questions.
    You are making yourself look silly, belt up!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    No! Why should I put my life on the line for a doomed country determined to consign me to abject poverty?

If the rich and the landowners (the 1%) want to take up arms to defend their lot then so be it, but I won't fight for their right to screw every last penny out of me (the 99%). It's give and take isn't it? You need to give people a stake in their own country to make it worth their while fighting for it.
    I agree that often wars are started by the rich, for the rich, fought by the poor. I agree strongly with the moral argument in your post.

However the poor would probably suffer most under occupation so awkwardly it's in their benefit to fight.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.