The Student Room Group

TSR Hindu Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Zoob
hey there :smile:
how goes?
what are your views on the stuff posted so far about how we live etc. :biggrin: *trying to keep soc away from soc chat* :afraid:

hmm, well I do agree that some of the things we're meant to do cant be done due to the way of society; they quite strict and some the stuff will still most probs be practiced back home, however there some things we can do.

btw Im a Brahmin:cool: :biggrin:
kpg
Sorry, I'm phrasing myself badly. I'm not asking for a specific evaluation of the rights and wrongs of my life but just saying that if someone claimed to be Hindu brahmin (which is the background I come from) is it wrong to smoke? Or Drink copious amounts of alcohol, or never partake in any religious ceremonies except say a fortnight trip to the temple, or not know the words to mantras, or not know the details of every festival, or cut my toe nails at night, or cut my hair on a day not perceived to be auspicous, if I don't meditate etc. etc.

Things like that. Lists and lists of things people have to conform to and do to justify their categorisation. What if you live a happy life, don't harm anyone, are content with what you do and the way you live a life but don't tick every checkbox. I'd say that's acceptable but others disagree.

If I were asked that question, then my answer is Yes, it is wrong to go against your culture. One cannot call themselves a Brahmin (visit http://www.friesian.com/caste.htm more more details).

A brahmin is true to their culture, it is not to do with not harming anyone by living a variation to the traditions it is to do with the cultures. Being a Brahmin means you belong to Brahman, the all divine, and you are a Varna.

One must acknowledge that being a Brahmin, one must learn from the vedas. I do understand in your previous post stating that one does not need to follow the scriptures of a book, however the primary source of knowledge for Brahmins is through the Vedas, and this is the traditions for both orthodox and heterodox.
Wad up fblade

Welcome to our infamous Hindu Society where we enjoy the debates on culture, discuss Hindu traditions, but most of all Love to talk and post pics on the special festivals like navtri, Holi and Diwali.

and remember...

Zoob

:biggrin: *trying to keep soc away from soc chat* :afraid:
Reply 223
any festivals coming up? Appearance of Sitadevi coming up i think..tho not big like diwali n holi etc

:hello: IR
UPCOMING HINDU FESTIVALS

Not all are widely celebrated as some are quite specific, but still lets post!

April
Sat 14 - Baisakhi
Mon 16 - Amavasya
Thu 19 - Akshaya Tritiya and fblade B'day !!!!! :birthday:
Mon 30 - Narasimha Jayanti

May
Tue 01 - Purnima
Wed 02 - Buddha Jayanti
Tue 15 - Amavasya
Reply 225
Thanks for the welcome:biggrin:.

I dont think we should be worrying about the Caste system anymore, loads of people are marrying each other from different castes. I know this guy (a Patel) is going to marry this Brahmin girl. My cousin married into another caste. People are nowadays dismissing the caste system. I myself, think its just being stuck up.
Reply 226
Indianz Rule
UPCOMING HINDU FESTIVALS

Not all are widely celebrated as some are quite specific, but still lets post!

April
Sat 14 - Baisakhi
Mon 16 - Amavasya
Thu 19 - Akshaya Tritiya
Mon 30 - Narasimha Jayanti

May
Tue 01 - Purnima
Wed 02 - Buddha Jayanti
Tue 15 - Amavasya

Dont forget my birthday next thurs! :p:

Seriously, I didnt know that there were at many festivals coming up. Should be interesting.
fblade
Thanks for the welcome:biggrin:.

I dont think we should be worrying about the Caste system anymore, loads of people are marrying each other from different castes. I know this guy (a Patel) is going to marry this Brahmin girl. My cousin married into another caste. People are nowadays dismissing the caste system. I myself, think its just being stuck up.

I do agree, as I and others could get quite aggressive in the discussion of what is correct lol.

Just to add a quicky, there are predominately two 'types' as such patels, one are brahmins the other is, umm, oo, think... vaisyas (not 100% sure).

:hello: all
fblade
Dont forget my birthday next thurs! :p:

Seriously, I didnt know that there were at many festivals coming up. Should be interesting.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

how could I have forgotten
Reply 229
:wavey: Howz everyone? Sorry for not posting here since long time. Promise to post very often here :smile:
Reply 230
Hey guys,

I'd just like to say firstly, good job for bringing this back to life! I was going to join a couple of months ago, but saw that nothing had been posted for a looong time.

Secondly I'd just like to say Happy Baisakhi for this weekend in case I don't get a chance to post again before then!

As for the caste argument, what's interesting is that what caste you're from can often affect which region of India you originate from, and which language you speak, which is why it's STILL taken into consideration for matrimonials in this country, e.g. Brahmin for Hindi speaking from North India, Kshatriya for Punjabi etc.
s_rishi1
Hey guys,

e.g. Brahmin for Hindi speaking from North India, Kshatriya for Punjabi etc.

Or Gujarati if they are from the west i.e. PBR or Advana
Reply 232
Or Orissa...east side :cool: :biggrin:
Reply 233
The only thing I don't like about castes is that I find people become very blind in the name of castes.

Like what's wrong if a guy of upper caste fell in love with a girl from a lower caste? They families raise a big issue out of it and later bloodshed in the name of caste. Castes are just taking away your freedom to love the one you like in this aspect.

Another thing realted to it is the dowry. I feel just the men in India are just putting price tags on girls for how much they can buy them. I feel it's just like buying an object in a market. A prostitute can be bought for 300Rs. per night and a wife can be bought from 30lakhs to 1 crore for life long depending on the family status. Sorry for the comparison but that's just I find it ridicule if we think with common sense.
Reply 234
Abhinaya
The only thing I don't like about castes is that I find people become very blind in the name of castes.

Like what's wrong if a guy of upper caste fell in love with a girl from a lower caste? They families raise a big issue out of it and later bloodshed in the name of caste. Castes are just taking away your freedom to love the one you like in this aspect.

Theres nothing wrong with it, the elders dont think its right and they're ****ing stuck up:smile:.

Castes even stop you socializing with other people and families ry to control them as well
I can see both your points of views, however the caste system is one of the things I agree with.

Not only is it a way of social culture within India itself, it also plays a vital role in the beliefs of Hinduism. For example, a person of lower caste is there for a reason. They must have sinned or caused wrongful deeds in a past life so are now there to suffer a lifetime of punishment. If they show that even with the suffering and problems they encounter they still stand strong, they will once again rise towards the achievement of Moksha.

So, elders try to move away so these ill doers cannot poison, as such, the minds of there innocent younger generation allowing them to not stumble towards moksha.
Reply 236
Indianz Rule
I can see both your points of views, however the caste system is one of the things I strongly agree with.

Not only is it a way of social culture within India itself, it also plays a vital role in the beliefs of Hinduism. For example, a person of lower caste is there for a reason. They must have sinned or caused wrongful deeds in a past life so are now there to suffer a lifetime of punishment. If they show that even with the suffering and problems they encounter they still stand strong, they will once again rise towards the achievement of Moksha.

So, elders try to move away so these ill doers cannot poison, as such, the minds of there innocent younger generation allowing them to not stumble towards moksha.

I am not sure if you are sure about what you are saying but in my point of view :
Caste system mainly emerged due to the professional inheritance since certain generations and it changed many phases and became the worst in the current generation as people are no more dependent on the same agriculture and the same professions which existed before. Previously many people used to do law and even doing medicine was possible as the brahmin father used to train his brahmin son to become a village doctor which is now not possible unless you pass a medical competetive exam. That was possible during those days like doctor's son can become a doctor, farmer's son can become a farmer and lawyer's son can become a lawyer and they could maintain their castes.

Now with Globalisation, IT revolution and stuff the mindset of the people changed. The whole world is getting under a single roof and that can't work in this competetive world. If you go to spain or US for a job and say you are from so and so caste they put your CV in a dustbin. But, most percentage Indians are still proud to keep up their castes which is going to dissappear after certain generations in the near future. As the untouchability was successfully abolished by our great philosophers and freedom fighters. That's sad that it is minutely existing in certain villages but that's completely against the law. If poeple come to know about it they are severely punished.
I do understand why many are against the system as some only see it as a means of social exclusion. However, as I said a low caste and 'poor' conditions of life is due to them damaging and going against their Dharma.

By corrupting ones Dharma and Atam, they go against the teachings of Hinduism and are punished by a life of suffering. If they prevail, they are then forgiven and given a new path of life that they should not stray off again, continuing their path of achieving Moksha.
Reply 238
Abhinaya
Now with Globalisation, IT revolution and stuff the mindset of the people changed. The whole world is getting under a single roof and that can't work in this competetive world. If you go to spain or US for a job and say you are from so and so caste they put your CV in a dustbin.

Sometimes people just look at your name and throw it away. Some of m family, have like changed their names to english names (informally) so that they can get jobs and business. This works because, my dad tried this idea, and has had several interviews now for jobs etc...
fblade
Sometimes people just look at your name and throw it away. Some of m family, have like changed their names to english names (informally) so that they can get jobs and business. This works because, my dad tried this idea, and has had several interviews now for jobs etc...

That is similar to what the BBC did a few years back, but on a slightly different basis.

What they did, was send out hundreds of applications with different names to see which were called for an interview. All the names with an Asian sounding name were rejected and the rest were accepted.

The details on all the CVs and Applications were exactly the same.. this revealed the racism within the system :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending