The Student Room Group

TSR Hindu Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Still not sure how to add members manually but you can go on societies and we are there on first page. When I go on society management I get a blank screen :redface:

Here's link for membership http://thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php?do=join&socid=153
Reply 21
jr2007
Still not sure how to add members manually but you can go on societies and we are there on first page. When I go on society management I get a blank screen :redface:

Here's link for membership http://thestudentroom.co.uk/socs.php?do=join&socid=153

Click on:

1. Manage your societies
2. Join Request

You can then accept member. After you have allowed people to join, You can make another person the sub-leader :smile:
Reply 22
Wicked thats all sorted! Hopefully you know have Hindu Society on your socs list.
Reply 23
Heya, can i join 2??

May I ask what is with the anti-drinkingness?? A glass of red wine a day is meant to be good for you and don;t you all drink some bhang at holi...what do you think thats got in it??

Sorry about the vent no offence intended I jus get a lil stressed when ppl say stuff like that!!
Reply 24
jr2007
Wicked thats all sorted! Hopefully you know have Hindu Society on your socs list.

:mad: Say thanks :p:
Reply 25
chandni
May I ask what is with the anti-drinkingness?? A glass of red wine a day is meant to be good for you

Only good if your over 40 and only cos it does something to your blood like thin or like that. To join, just click on the link in the first post and i'll accept ya.

Im looking for a co-leader cos im in last year of a-levels so not always able to maintain. Just give a brief outline to why you would be good
Reply 26
jr2007
Im looking for a co-leader cos im in last year of a-levels so not always able to maintain. Just give a brief outline to why you would be good

Me because I visit TSR adequately and will be able to check up on the society regularly. :biggrin:
Reply 27
Im gonna review all apps later tonight and will add co-leader. Last chance to post :biggrin:
Reply 28
I'm in for the Hindu soc!:smile:

www.jayjay000.piczo.com
Has anyone heard of the Bombings in Varanasi? I hope we can all pray toghether for the people who died during a terrorist attack in the Middle of Aarti.
Reply 30
SolInvincitus
Has anyone heard of the Bombings in Varanasi? I hope we can all pray toghether for the people who died during a terrorist attack in the Middle of Aarti.

:angel: I have double membership in Hindu soc :biggrin: How is this appearing? Even I had the same problem when I was adding members for IFG. I tried to remove on and both are getting deleted at a time:confused:
Reply 31
SolInvincitus

I've heard of it SolInvincitus and also prayed for the victims. That's terrible putting Ammonium nitrate in a pressure cooker and making it to explode. Militants get what not crazy ideas.
Reply 32
The explosions are horrific, it is devastating, and my thoughts are with all those who lost people dear to them, and all those who are injured.
Reply 33
There was also an explosion in a train station nearby.
Reply 34
About drinking bhang at Holi. I'll spit it out- it contains gangu. However this tradition is 1000's of years old. Did they know back then that it was a toxicant and detremental to health? No. Therefore we have to appreciate that times were different back then, and they didn't know about the dangers. Back then they thought that drugs were a short cut to enlightenment. That is why so many religions have evolved from narcotics. Also in India, only a very small proportion of people now drink the bhang. This is normally in the north sych as Utter Pradesh. The extracts from the plant are put in the brew. The plant already contains the substance. Alcohol on the other hand is intentionally brewed for its alcoholic content. The alcohol isn't already present, it has to be INTENTIONALLY fermented. Thats why Hinduism doesn't allow alcohol because the intentions are wrong. With bhang the intentions aren't bad but the ignorance is. Thats why both are bad, as they are detremental to health, and now we know today that both are toxicants, and hence we shouldn't take anyform of narcotics. Exceptions for medicinal reasons. Although drinking a glass of wine healthy, how many people drink that much?1 leads to 2, 2 leads to 3... Just look at Britains bing drinking culture- do you want to end up staggering through the streets of the city centre, just because you intentionally placed a manufactured drug inside your body?
The only thing i dont agree with in Hinduism is the Caste System, i believe the whole heirarchal system is wrong. What do you guys think?
Reply 36
papad no offence m8 but u sound like a dadima!!! Drinking isn't bad it can make you ahppy for a short while though i dnt condone it for this reason but on a night out it really loosens you up and makes a good night a great night what is wrong with that?
hello people.

my name is Mohammed and i am a muslim (obviously!) and to be honest - i don't know that much about hinduism.
please can someone tell me the main beliefs that hindus hold? do they believe in more than one god? (i know they have different gods for different 'things', but does everything go back to 'Brahman'?)

by the way, i'm not one of them idiots who's going to debate endlessly "my religion is better than yours" i'm just intrigued by your religion..
Reply 38
__WiZaRD__
i hope globalisation does not take away indias traditional and cultural way of life. I hope India does not end up getting youngsters who think it is cool to get sooo drunk and act like monkeys. I hope india does not become a country where teenagers from the age of 15 begin having sex, and lose their virginity. I hope india does not become a country where it is ok to disrespect your elders, teachers, etc. And finally i hope (after studying in UK for 1 and a half years now) i never see some of the things i have seen here in the UK, in india

I accept with everything that you wrote m8 but, I think it's not good in India when people after marriages get drunk(mainly the husband) and behave very cruel.
I came across some situations like husband kicking his wife on her stomach when she's pregnant...

Husband killing wife with the help of his family coz of the dowry...

A teenage guy pouring acid on a girl's face coz she didn't accept his love...

women working in call centres during night shifts being abused and raped in moving vehicles in the capital city... and the list goes...

If we consider all these, where is the security for a girl in India? she's just treated as a slave in the society.

Male Domination is a lot in India. sorry to say all these. I love India. but, there are loads of things horrible happening around and everything is being suppressed within their respective communities. Girl is not allowed to open her mouth but just allowed sit in a corner and cry for what all injustice is being done to her.

Indian people are famous for their tolerant nature. But, there should be a limit for their tolerance. I really wonder girls being tolerant throughout their lives with an arranged marraige by her parents just coz she was sold for a very good price in the market(so called status symbol), getting her to a person having an Engineering or a doctor degree(doesn't mean that she's happy with a degree holder) thinking she's just happy with his earning irrespective of his character. whatever trouble she will be into later should be tolerated coz she has no more respect in the society if she'll get divorced.

People who are well educated doesn't mean that they all have a good character. I have seen girls who fell in love with a poor guy who learn to stand on his legs face many challenges to keep up his relationship and makes the girl happy with what he's having. The only reason parents don't agree for such marriages is because he's not rich enough and he is not having a degree minimum qualification. Parents can be a mediator for marraiges but I think that can be to certain extent. I see parents forcing girls to accept for marriage even if she likes or not because she will be getting old(19 to 23 years) and no one will be marrying her later coz she will cross her marraible age. Choice should be left for the girl to select the guy of her choice and then finally okayed by the parents. Arranged marraiges have become a blind fashion in India but now I am happy that the trend changed in the recent years especially this generation teens are getting more concious of what's happening and reacting cleverly according to the situation.
Reply 39
linguist786
hello people.

my name is Mohammed and i am a muslim (obviously!) and to be honest - i don't know that much about hinduism.
please can someone tell me the main beliefs that hindus hold? do they believe in more than one god? (i know they have different gods for different 'things', but does everything go back to 'Brahman'?)

by the way, i'm not one of them idiots who's going to debate endlessly "my religion is better than yours" i'm just intrigued by your religion..

Belief

Brahma

Vishnu

Shiva

The Great Goddess (Mahadevi)

Other Vedic gods

Quick Reply