The Student Room Group

Gap ear work experience

I am considering taking a Gap Year and was wondering if it would be at all wise (or stupid) to contact a few of the leading law firms in London or Manchester to ask for a spell of work experience. I have heard that such experience is good when applying to Universities and would be keen for this reason but primarily for personal interest and to learn a little bit. I don't have a clue how long a period to propose and would really be up for what ever they were prepared to offer. I eventuially hope to go into commercial law and specifically aviation and aircraft leasing/purchase. What I really need to know is if this is at all realistic?

Any advice on any of the above would be very much appreciated and feel free to add any suggestions not not prompted by questions.

Many thanks.
Reply 1
The larger firms are unlikely to offer you work experience. They have specific programmes for undergrads and simply don't have the time (or inclination) to give others any form of legal work experience for any length of time.

You could consider paralegalling although many paras already have some form of legal qualification.

The smaller firms are your best bet.

Interesting you mention aviation - I used to do a lot of aviation related litigation off the back of our aircraft finance team.
Reply 2
currently on a gap year and applying for law 2006, im currently working in the legal department of JP Morgans back office, iv gained some valuable legal knowledge in the process and the pay is pretty good, its worth contacting them since you would receive pay and they have offered me the chance to return after my degree
Reply 3
I know someone who worked as a paralegal for a year before starting her law degree, so it can be done. Otherwise you could try and do some admin work in a law firm.

Latest

Trending

Trending