Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First year mini-pupillages

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello and thanks for reading! I've just seen the other post about mini-pupillages and I'm also in my first year, so I really hope you could help me...
    I have just accepted 5 mini-pupillage offers for my 4-month summer holidays, and each will last two weeks. 2 of them will be at good sets, while the remaining will be with quite new barristers...
    Would you say that I should accept my remaining offer at a famous criminal set? If I do I'll have only 2 weeks of holiday, and like hazelnote in the other thread I'm not sure if doing minis/interns for the whole summer almost non-stop would be too tense and bad for the state of mind before commencing year 2...
    The thing is I don't know how it might feel like doing minis non-stop, and I don't know whether doing that lot of minis would actually help me get better ideas of the procedures.
    Thank you so much for your kind advice!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest cutting them all to a week - it's incredibly rare for mini-pupillages to be two weeks in length. Taking another mini can never hurt - especially if it is a set you may consider applying to in the future. In my experience, unassessed minis aren't stressful at all, so even if you can't cut them to shorter lengths - still go ahead. You won't get holidays when in pupillage and practice so need to get used to it at some point!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TakeTwo)
    I would suggest cutting them all to a week - it's incredibly rare for mini-pupillages to be two weeks in length. Taking another mini can never hurt - especially if it is a set you may consider applying to in the future. In my experience, unassessed minis aren't stressful at all, so even if you can't cut them to shorter lengths - still go ahead. You won't get holidays when in pupillage and practice so need to get used to it at some point!
    Oh thanks for that! So may i ask if you think that a full summer of law would affect my ability to relax and concentrate in year 2?
    Im worrying because my parent and also a new barrister said "have some holiday, or it will affect your academic performance" while I get some different views from others...
    :P sorry for the trouble.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It will be very tiring - I came back very tired from each day of my minis. Doing so many in a row will be difficult and to my mind I have heard of no one who has done what you are planning to do. I question why 5 is necessary (especially during one summer). Personally I did 0 in my first summer, and then did 6 spread out accross the whole of my second year (two each holiday).

I am surprised that so many sets offer 2 week minis...I thought one week was the max, and for good reason: I often find that 3/4 days even is enough to learn as much as i need about a set. I agree with TakeTwo's suggestion of cutting them to a week - although I would check out their policy first: perhaps 2 weeks is what the offer is, made on a take it or leave it basis.

I cant say whether or not it will affect your academic performance; this will have to be a matter for your own judgement. Speaking for myself, as i said I didnt do any minis in my first uni summer, but I did go on holiday a lot etc... and didnt do much academic work.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Take the ones most relevant to what you want to do. If you don't know yet, take a selection of the best ones from different areas. If you are really keen about the law, you don't need the whole student summer holiday..really Remember though, you should only put 3 or 4 on your CV, the rest are for your benefit (or to mix and match based on CV)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andymt)
    It will be very tiring - I came back very tired from each day of my minis. Doing so many in a row will be difficult and to my mind I have heard of no one who has done what you are planning to do...I am surprised that so many sets offer 2 week minis...

I cant say whether or not it will affect your academic performance; this will have to be a matter for your own judgement. Speaking for myself, as i said I didnt do any minis in my first uni summer, but I did go on holiday a lot etc... and didnt do much academic work.

(Original post by ForKicks)
    Take the ones most relevant to what you want to do. If you don't know yet, take a selection of the best ones from different areas. If you are really keen about the law, you don't need the whole student summer holiday..really Remember though, you should only put 3 or 4 on your CV, the rest are for your benefit (or to mix and match based on CV)
    Thank you very, very much for the heads up! I will phone them up to cut them, hope one of the clerks won't be agitated-I already rescheduled the mini with her chambers :P
    Thanks...
    xoox

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 5, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.