The Student Room Group

Anyone else hate music pretention and snobbery?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Used to be like this myself tbh, from the age of around 14 until 18. Was really into metal, classic rock, rock etc. Used to be very snobby towards anything in the charts, look down on people for liking that sort of music. Despised trance, dance, house, D&B etc, thought it was all ****e and took little to no talent. Used to use "its so mainstream" as justification for hating chart music :facepalm2:

Fast forward to now i'm 22, I still love my metal, classic rock and stuff but now I love all sorts of EDM, I dj trance and house and I don't mind the stuff you get on daytime radio either. I look back at my attitudes when I was younger and cringe because I can't escape the fact that I was a massive douche.

I think its just a case of growing out of trying to feel superior because you like some high and mighty genre over less "respectable" genres, although alas some people never will. I'll stop rambling now, hopefully someone gets what i'm trying to say within this incoherent babble.
Yeah I agree, but I guess it seems to tie in with this general trend in life where so many people enjoy being negative for the sake of it instead of noticing and praising the positives in things. It's seems to be oh so cool to hate on mainstream music, hate on celebrities, hate on ugly people, hate on beautiful people, hate on hipsters, hate on makeup, hate on fake tan, hate on low league unis... Ah shut up pathetic people and concentrate on your own lives!! :angry:
Reply 62
Original post by Bellissima
am i the only one who CANNOT STAND THIS??

i keep seeing it everywhere, especially on youtube... "people who dislike this don't know real music" etc. whether it's on led zep, gaga, jayz, WHATEVER...

why do people not understand music is SUBJECTIVE. opinions are SUBJECTIVE. why does it matter that one person likes one direction and the other likes daft punk....... really WHY DOES IT MATTER?????

It may surprise you to learn that the nature and parameters of what constitutes 'subjectivity' are not in themselves necessarily subjective and that mere enjoyment of something is not sufficient to delineate artistic merit. The sooner people stop hailing Einaudi as an artisan of 'classical' music the sooner my blood-pressure can return to normal, and the sooner I'll finally be able to restore this high-powered, laser-equipped semi-automatic battle rifle to its secluded rural hunting lodge.
Reply 63
Original post by tomclarky
I hate it when people limit themselves to one genre of music.

Also, this.
I don't understand it either. My friend and I will joke about music, but at the end of the day, it is your own opinion. You can like what you want. What I object to is people playing their music out loud on the school bus. If you like it great, but not everyone will want to hear your music.

I also don't understand what is so amazing about somebody who doesn't listen to one single genre of music. Somebody had mentioned it on here, and I agree with them. I listen to dance, jazz, country and rock to name a few, and people find this surprising. Am I only allowed to like one genre of music then?
Reaction of people when I say I like Wu Tang Clan - :h:

Reaction of people when I say I like The Beatles - :eek:

:nothing:
Original post by Bellissima
am i the only one who CANNOT STAND THIS??

i keep seeing it everywhere, especially on youtube... "people who dislike this don't know real music" etc. whether it's on led zep, gaga, jayz, WHATEVER...

why do people not understand music is SUBJECTIVE. opinions are SUBJECTIVE. why does it matter that one person likes one direction and the other likes daft punk....... really WHY DOES IT MATTER????? how do the music tastes of other people affect you in any way? why does liking a particular band or artist or aspect of music make you superior, why is your taste in music seemingly better?
or you like one musician, for example you might say "i like adele" and then someone could reply to you "wait, don't you like justin bieber" (inb4 these comments) and it's like your whole opinion is invalid? it's moronic...

why don't people understand we are not all clones and different people like different things! i don't give a **** what music you like and will not judge any other aspect of your character for it... it's not like you CHOOSE what music you like, it just happens... i don't see why you should be ashamed/embarassed for something as harmless as musical taste...

also, just because you like one musician/singer/band, does not mean you cannot like other artists that are completely different!

it's just one of my pet hates.

there are times when it is annoying how certain types of music are favoured by the industry to cater to a market of people who listen to whatever the record labels want them to, and excercise no judgement. this reduces teh quality of music on offer.
Reply 67
I hate music that is

a) fake
b) Different For the sake of being different
Reply 68
Original post by ThaChronic
Reaction of people when I say I like Wu Tang Clan - :h:

Reaction of people when I say I like The Beatles - :eek:

:nothing:

Wu Tan? - Chronic

Beatles? - Swisher Blunts

They not a fan of the sweet lace?
If youve heard stupid hoe by nicki minaj then you would know that opinions on **** music are objective.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Profesh
The sooner people stop hailing Einaudi as an artisan of 'classical' music the sooner my blood-pressure can return to normal

I use Einaudi as a means to measure my compatibility with people. If they like Einaudi we are incompatible.
I agree that the snobbery is kind of stupid but when people start saying Skrillex is more talented than Eric Clapton we must draw the line.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 72
ROCK 'N ROLL AIN'T NOISE POLLUTION
-AC/DC
Is this a kind of pretention/snobbery? O.o
Original post by word2yamother
If youve heard stupid hoe by nicki minaj then you would know that opinions on **** music are objective.

I really like Nicki Minaj, but man even I think that song is pretty terrible for her :s-smilie:. Sometimes I wonder if she's actually parodying herself, which would be jokes tbh :lol:
I hate when people are up themselves about music. I listen to a wide range of things, and I can enjoy a bit of Britney, or Amerie just as much as some Conquering Animal Sound, or a bit of Messiaen or Bruch. I don't see how you can hate a style that much. And people who hate things for being popular or mainstream are idiots.

I do agree with the Ludvico Einaudi hate above me though, some things are just inexcusably bad.
Reply 75
Anyone else hate literature pretention (sic) and snobbery?

These nasty people that say Tolstoy is better than Dan Brown. Don't they realise its all subjective herp derp?
Original post by seanfromtheblock
I hate when people are up themselves about music. I listen to a wide range of things, and I can enjoy a bit of Britney, or Amerie just as much as some Conquering Animal Sound, or a bit of Messiaen or Bruch.

If you enjoy Britney as much as Messiaen then you are probably failing to recognise some essential differences between them. Avoiding snobbery does not mean pretending that everything is exactly the same. Surely you see that with Messiaen you need to devote your full attention to the music for an extended period of time, and the rewards are correspondingly greater?
Original post by py0alb
Anyone else hate literature pretention (sic) and snobbery?

These nasty people that say Tolstoy is better than Dan Brown. Don't they realise its all subjective herp derp?

Who would you say are the Tolstoys of music?
Reply 78
I think that people should be able to listen to and like whatever they want.

However, Bohemian Rhapsody undeniably is a more perfectly crafted masterpiece than the talentless music Bruno Mars produces. When people can't see this and genuinely have no appreciation of talent or creativity it saddens me because geniuses go under-appreciated. So, by all means say: "I love this Beiber track, it's well catchy!"; after all, he is making people happy. It's when people cannot grasp that Jessie J is not as skilled as Hendrix that's sad.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 79
I do agree with what OP says, but sometimes its hard to not fight back against the mental JB or The Wanted fans who trend their **** on twitter and are pretty much shoving it down your throat, even if a friend who likes JB goes on about how good he is and poses the same "why don't you like him?!?" question to me, when saying "Its not my taste" is not enough, saying its horse **** has the more desired effect in getting a reaction so they might go away.

Its all down to the individual at the end of the day and how a particular song by an artist makes them feel. I remember coming across a Jessie J interview in which she said something like i've had fans write to me saying this particular track got me through a hard time. A person with the same problem could be listening to Led Zep and feel better. Doesn't matter the artist and what they write about and how they convey their message, just how it makes a person feel. (If that made any sense? :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest