The Student Room Group

Anyone else hate music pretention and snobbery?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by j.alexanderh
Clearly it wasn't obvious to him.

I'm not appealing to any authority. He called me uninformed; I was just curious about the extent of his being informed about music, which is clearly relevant to the issue at hand. I'm not planning on dismissing him without argument.

What happened to 'attack the argument not the man?' Is it only me who gets warning points for that? Also check definition of arrogance, has nothing to do with opinion based on subjective/flawed rationale. Not that I claimed my opinion wasn't subjective anyway; I'm perfectly happy to admit that it is.

Can't do better than quote you back to yourself here:

Sorry, I did get a bit confused there, wasn't paying attention properly (I was replying as if he'd written 'objectively true').

lol you just got destroyed and I didn't have to say a thing. There is a reasonably well documented and commonly understood set of criteria of what music is for. "Being really long" is not one of them. Your argument fails.
Meh if I hear a song and I like, I like it end of. Don't care where I heard, it who sung and how many other people like it.
Actually sometimes it's better if lots of people have heard it because then you find lot of different interpretations of the lyrics.
Reply 102
Original post by Bellissima
am i the only one who CANNOT STAND THIS??

i keep seeing it everywhere, especially on youtube... "people who dislike this don't know real music" etc. whether it's on led zep, gaga, jayz, WHATEVER...

why do people not understand music is SUBJECTIVE. opinions are SUBJECTIVE. why does it matter that one person likes one direction and the other likes daft punk....... really WHY DOES IT MATTER????? how do the music tastes of other people affect you in any way? why does liking a particular band or artist or aspect of music make you superior, why is your taste in music seemingly better?
or you like one musician, for example you might say "i like adele" and then someone could reply to you "wait, don't you like justin bieber" (inb4 these comments) and it's like your whole opinion is invalid? it's moronic...

why don't people understand we are not all clones and different people like different things! i don't give a **** what music you like and will not judge any other aspect of your character for it... it's not like you CHOOSE what music you like, it just happens... i don't see why you should be ashamed/embarassed for something as harmless as musical taste...

also, just because you like one musician/singer/band, does not mean you cannot like other artists that are completely different!

it's just one of my pet hates.

Yeah, totally agree. I can't stand those self righteous, snobby pricks who go around living their lives without having the same opinion as me that music is subjective and that it doesn't matter which you like or what view you have on it. I mean seriously, who the hell do they think they are?
Original post by py0alb
There is a reasonably well documented and commonly understood set of criteria of what music is for.

Do share.
Reply 104
Being musicians, you can really understand why people are so subjective about music genres and artists. It's because we are use to playing and listening to so much music that we may have a broader view other than chart music or what's 'hot' at the moment. Music is subjective in the sense that every is entitled to their own opinion of what is 'good' and 'poor'. The average person's favorite pop song could make a well educated musician :bored: whilst a musician's favorite song could make the average person :s-smilie:.
Original post by Bellissima

why do people not understand music is SUBJECTIVE. opinions are SUBJECTIVE. why does it matter that one person likes one direction and the other likes daft punk.......

Here's how it actually works OP and where you're getting it wrong:

Perhaps you were to say you like David Guetta because you like electronic music and you dislike Eminem because you dislike hip-hop. No one can tell you that you are wrong because you have a taste for electronic music and therefore prefer David Guetta to Eminem. The reasoning behind why you prefer David Guetta to Eminem doesn't have to be rational as it is personal and subjective.

As well as taste, there is value, and value is always objective and interpersonal. One specific thing can only have one value and there must be a reason behind why this specific thing has such value in comparison to other things. If you were to say you like electronic music and like David Guetta, but also that David Guetta is better than Daft Punk and this is because music is subjective, you would be wrong. You like David Guetta by virtue of your interest in electronic music and by that virtue you should also like Daft Punk, and by rationality should recognise that Daft Punk are far better than David Guetta. The technical abilities and understanding of music demonstrated by Daft Punk of a level way above and beyond David Guetta are what rationally places their music at a higher value. You can't argue with it, it is fact.

Why I think people do suggest such strange things as David Guetta being better than Daft Punk is because they are, simply put, lazy. It takes a higher level of concentration to engage with more complex music, but as rational human beings we should all be able to recognise the value of certain pieces of music in comparison to others, and if they correspond with our personal tastes, we should also be able to enjoy them.
Reply 106
Original post by ThaChronic
Reaction of people when I say I like Wu Tang Clan - :h:

Reaction of people when I say I like The Beatles - :eek:

:nothing:

Really? How many people actually know about Wu-Tang?

Original post by Shabalala
-I hate people who hate on artists when they become big/famous and say that they have "sold out" when in reality they are mostly still making the same music as before but because the mainstream like them it's not cool anymore so they stop listening.

-I HATE teenage girls who say "I hate all Hip-Hop it's garbage, Oh apart from Eminem he doesn't just talk about women and money" - if that's you then **** up bitch take a donkey punch to the back on the neck or a falcon punch to the vagina how about listening to other hip-hop music first before talking ****.

Yes, basically Eminem with Relapse, before that he did that **** too, but saying that, as Hip Hop fan, it's annoying how misunderstood the genre is. What people refer to as Hip Hop now is not what i call Hip Hop. No way is that Flo rida/Nicki Minaj **** Hip Hop, maybe "Hip Pop" (I love that phrase)

And about the whole "sold out" thing... in some cases it's true, some people's styles do change to try get as many albums sold, etc
To be honest Bellisima, it was only a mater of time before I was going to make this thread.

I totally agree, and I don't need to add much more because you've seen my responses to to other threads on here, and we've both seen our fair share of music snobbery on here.
Original post by py0alb
There is a reasonably well documented and commonly understood set of criteria of what music is for.

Do share.
Original post by The Illuminati
Artists currently on my iPod are:
Giggs
Sam Cooke
Nickelback
The Fugees
Linkin Park
Don McLean
Weird Al
Taylor Swift
Tupac
O-Zone (the song in Romanian that T.I sampled in Live your Life)
Lupe Fiasco
The Beatles
Michael Jackson
Wiley
Lil Wayne
and one Justin Bieber song :colondollar:
plus many many more

I also have soundtracks from Mulan, Lion King, Shrek 1 & 2, Dreamgirls and Wicked.
I think I have every Britney song pre-meltdown. The album 'Britney' gives me so many memories of my pre-teen days and I love having it on full blast when I'm in a crappy mood

RANDOM but I don't care, I like what I like

I like yo taste in music.
Original post by The Illuminati
Artists currently on my iPod are:
Giggs
Sam Cooke
Nickelback
The Fugees
Linkin Park
Don McLean
Weird Al
Taylor Swift
Tupac
O-Zone (the song in Romanian that T.I sampled in Live your Life)
Lupe Fiasco
The Beatles
Michael Jackson
Wiley
Lil Wayne
and one Justin Beiber song :colondollar:
plus many many more

I also have soundtracks from Mulan, Lion King, Shrek 1 & 2, Dreamgirls and Wicked.
I think I have every Britney song pre-meltdown. The album 'Britney' gives me so many memories of my pre-teen days and I love having it on full blast when I'm in a crappy mood

RANDOM but I don't care, I like what I like

No it's not random at all. If you're trying to suggest you're the apotheosis of eclecticism then all you've done is written a list of 15 of the biggest, most well-known musicians of their respective genres.
Original post by bulgy
because some music is better than others.

Yep. Born Of Osiris > all other music out there. Oh wait. Shut the **** up.

Music is subjective. There is no better or worse. I especially hate ****ing muse fans. "You can't spell music without muse!! I'm also a pretentious *******!" < Erm 1st of all there is no "e" in "music" and muse are just another band.....
Reply 112
Original post by ShredMaster

Music is subjective. There is no better or worse. I especially hate ****ing muse fans. "You can't spell music without muse!! I'm also a pretentious *******!" < Erm 1st of all there is no "e" in "music" and muse are just another band.....

what the hell are you talking about?
Original post by ShredMaster

Well that's not entirely true. In general it's subjective, but there are examples of songs that are just better than others.
Original post by Alofleicester
Well that's not entirely true. In general it's subjective, but there are examples of songs that are just better than others.

No, he's probably right. Claiming the existence of objective aesthetic values is a philosophical nightmare.
Original post by alexlduffy
Thanks! =D

The album's amazing! I'd have to say it's one of the most influential albums I own! xD

:five: I've heard good things about her concert, have fun!

Thanks :smile:. Just bought my ticket yesterday. Quite nervous but excited :biggrin:.

It's weird cos I don't even listen much to many artists like her, but I'm drawn to her for some reason and I like it :h:
Original post by bulgy
what the hell are you talking about?

Music is subjective, you utter moron. Butthurt Muse fan over here, folks.
Reply 117
Original post by j.alexanderh
Do share.

A few posts ago you were ready to launch into an indepth exposition of your own musical proclivity, and now you're saying you can't even figure out this one for yourself?

Something doesn't add up....
Well apparently I'm an 'elitist' and 'pretentious' for having a greater understanding of a variety of genres, and of musical theory, than most, regardless of the fact that I always make it abundantly clear that I have no interest in what someone prefers to listen to asides when they're forcing me to hear it.

Some music is, on certain grounds (to look at a band or song in a purely 'this does/doesn't sound good to me' sense seems somewhat shallow), arguably objectively better than other music.
Original post by py0alb
A few posts ago you were ready to launch into an indepth exposition of your own musical proclivity, and now you're saying you can't even figure out this one for yourself?

Something doesn't add up....

It doesn't add up that I can't produce answers which I've clearly stated that I don't believe exist? Maybe you could drop the flippancy for a minute and, I don't know, answer the question?

(By the way, at no stage was I going to 'launch into an indepth [sic] exposition of my own musical proclivity'; I was asking a sarcastic question, since it was presumptuous of you to call me ignorant without having any idea of the extent of my musical knowledge. Let me be the first to assure you it is hardly so great as to be something to boast about. I am merely literate - which is nevertheless more than can be said for most who loftily proclaim their judgements of musical worth on this forum.)
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest