Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why do Muslim schools in the UK overachieve so much?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AkaJetson)
    Exactly, so it must show that the teaching quality at Islamic schools is very good, unlike the 'alien rubbish' that Richard Dawkins said they teach.
    It's very good because it emphasises that discipline is a must. Not that other schools lack discipline but with faith schools your buying into a very particular type of discipline. Richard Dawkins is a man with a viable outlook on life but lacks the skills to convey it effectively. I wouldn't rely on someone like that let alone a scientist.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpongebobSquarepan)
    Why have I been negged for telling the truth, what kind of life is spending it all days indoors working and practising your religion?

There's a whole world out there
    What truth? You claim that religious people have no lives solely for being religious.

That point is not only wrong, but it is also subjective.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
    What truth? You claim that religious people have no lives solely for being religious.

That point is not only wrong, but it is also subjective.
    Awwwww sounds like you're jealous that i'm enjoying life and doing everything I can while I'm young.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brutal Honesty)
    It's well known poorer children do worse in school compared to those from wealthier backgrounds.
    not strictly true - it's a finding that does not apply well to ethnic minorities, especially immigrant populations. It applies very well to white, working class children of British ancestry.

This is an obvious anomaly, but it is more likely that we are not comparing like with like than that Muslims do better. I would suggest that immigrants on the whole do better, and it's just that Muslims are the only majority first or second generation immigrant religious demographic, so they are the only ones which show up.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not really surprised Muslims have the highest amount of students on free school meals...
    I wonder how many of them have their real names in the register too?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see how many of those gcses include Urdu and / or arabic. Should be a fairly easy exam if you speak one at home and spend hours every day reading the other.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Awwwww sounds like you're jealous that i'm enjoying life and doing everything I can while I'm young.
    Jealous? He doesn't even know you O.o .

Looks to me like it's yourself you're trying to convince, not us. Shouting from the rooftops how happy you are with life (with your complete "freedom") doesn't really bode well.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    they get stoned if they dont get good grades?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumsteele1)
    Now why would you say something which is so stupid and incorrect???
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypercaine.)
    Not really surprised Muslims have the highest amount of students on free school meals...
    I wonder how many of them have their real names in the register too?
    I think you're confusing Muslims with Africans. I remember in the school I went to the black pupils were all called Timothy, John, Nigel, steve etc. but in the register they had some African name and their parents would refer to them by an African name. Same with Chinese. Quite embarrassing really. The Muslim kids had evidently Muslim names.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amerzeb)
    Now why would you say something which is so stupid and incorrect???
    it was a sarcastic comment, dont take it so literally.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i as a Muslim take that as an offense. All learners can do better as along as they are tied with the Lord till death. You can`t argue here right cuz if God says this and that student WILL pass then none and i mean NO WAY can some one or something apart from God change it.

Feel free to argue. Come on say that it ain't true.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    it was a sarcastic comment, dont take it so literally.
    what do you mean by SARCASTIC??? was ''SARACASTIC'' the reason that got
    Jyllands-Posten ? murdered
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bukhatir)
    i as a Muslim take that as an offense. All learners can do better as along as they are tied with the Lord till death. You can`t argue here right cuz if God says this and that student WILL pass then none and i mean NO WAY can some one or something apart from God change it.

Feel free to argue. Come on say that it ain't true.
    oh people get offended by the simplest things these days, lighten up.

through that interesting and rather disjointed ramble i think you said something about their faith in god getting them through their exams? that being the case please do humour me as to how ...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bukhatir)
    what do you mean by SARCASTIC??? was ''SARACASTIC'' the reason that got
    Jyllands-Posten ? murdered
    what do i mean by sarcastic? :facepalm: go look at a dictionary.
    thats a news paper how may i ask do you murder a news paper?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aww, what is there to be jealous of?

If anything, I think that for you to come out with such an absurd claim shows insecurity.

I haven't even met you so clearly you're trying to dodge the main point of this discussion, in which your initial comment is wrong.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is there such a thing as overachieving?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AkaJetson)
    I agree, but the thing is muslims outside of Islamic schools get below average on GCSEs (though the gap is decreasing every year). So this makes it even more interesting.
    :erm: think you might just be making a sweeping statement there, where's your evidence?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for them all, but my boyfriend goes to a catholic school and they're really strict and set a load more homework than I get . . .

Plus (and I don't think money comes into this much if at all), religious parents tend to be stricter than non-religious parents. So they're going to be stricter with making sure homework is done and tell them off more for bad reports.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Probably the islamic emphasis on education as important, and the south asian emphasis on getting a job in the professions, which mainly results from getting a good education

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 9, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.