Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dr Dre Beats Headphones

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi people,

I am just interested to know your feelings and thoughts about Dr Dre beats headphones - Specifically the solo and studio versions.

Whether you own a pair or have tried a pair on then let me know what you think:

Do you like them?

Do you like the style of them?

Do you appreciate the celebrity endorsements?

Why choose these headphones rather than other headphones?

Thank you, all your comments will be appreciated
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    No.
    No.
    No.
    I wouldn't.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I really wanted to put a Ned Stark, "brace yourselves .. audiophiles are coming" Meme here.

Yes
    Yes
    Not really
    I needed headphones with noise cancelling, collapsable, iphone compatible, that didn't look stupid, and they were the cheapest/decent ones at the time. Would I buy them again? Maybe if I had a decent amount of random cash, but reluctantly.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you want them for, if it is the brand you want etc then it is up to you to choose if you like the look. For quality, then they are not worth a fraction of the price they cost, and you can get vasty superior Boss and Sennheiser headphones for a lot less.

In fact I was pretty shocked at how poor the £200+ Beats headphones were when I tried them - I was then baffled by the fact they were next to £90 Boss headphones that were so much better it was almost laughable. They are distinclty average - not actually bad though, just average.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    I tried the Beats Solos when a friend bought them in to work...

£100 for them is a total rip off. They're just distinctly average.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    Yes
    Indifferent, I bought them not even knowing they were endorsed by celebrities - In fact it's off putting in a way, because now you get all the reverse snobbery with people assuming that you're a dick just because you have a certain brand of headphones.
    Tried somebody else's and liked the sound quality and the way they looked
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I bought my studio headphones long before the mass marketing by celebrities.

They are decent headphones, I enjoy using them and I have yet to find a pair that meets the same standards as my studios. These standards are:

aesthetics

sound quality

portability (when not in use)

comfort

Nothing quite meets all those standards in my opinion. That being said, they are certainly not worth the price you pay. There are hundreds of places where you can get replica studio headphones for about £50. I couldn't tell the difference bar the price.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really wasn't impressed by the Solo HDs when I tried them. Colossal waste of many and most audiophiles I know swear against them.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antifazian)
    Indifferent, I bought them not even knowing they were endorsed by celebrities - In fact it's off putting in a way, because now you get all the reverse snobbery with people assuming that you're a dick just because you have a certain brand of headphones.
    lol don't be silly; if these £100 headphones weren't endorsed by any celebrities nor were made and promoted by Dre himself, no one in their right mind would buy them because they would be overpriced average headphones. I doubt your friend would have them for you to have tried it on that day.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    **** headphones worn mainly by *****.

Dr Dre would never, ever use them to produce with btw.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Id and Ego seek)
    lol don't be silly; if these £100 headphones weren't endorsed by any celebrities nor were made and promoted by Dre himself, no one in their right mind would buy them because they would be overpriced average headphones. I doubt your friend would have them for you to have tried it on that day.
    My friend may well have bought them because of the endorsements, but like I said those weren't my reasons.

Admittedly not knowing much about headphones, and having only had standard ipod earphones in the past to compare them to, I had the money and was willing to spend it. Now that I realize I could probably get more for my money, i'd shop around, but i'm happy and it's not a big deal.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    theyre not bad headphones ... just horrendously over priced ... whilst on the odd occasion i'll be happy to fork out for a label its generally speaking because theyre also better. these, well theyre good but theyre not that good youre just paying through the arse for that little turd dr dre to put his name on them ... id far rather get a pair of shures for the same price and be assured of excellent quality and value
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jono404)
    **** headphones worn mainly by *****.

Dr Dre would never, ever use them to produce with btw.
    Obviously. Producers use monitors, not headphones.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    I could flog this dead horse further but that would be pointless, I'd end up wasting time on a rant and most people know my opinion on them already. In short, Pros aside they're horrible headphones that have managed to convince people that audio equipment should double as a fashion accessory. Do not buy them.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by admbeatmaker)
    Obviously. Producers use monitors, not headphones.
    Dre's actually been pictured using Sony and Audio Technica headphones for studio work, ironically he's been seen using the latter after releasing his own line of studio headphones.
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumsteele1)
    theyre not bad headphones ... just horrendously over priced
    Most people interested in audio will say they are objectively poor headphones, they really do not sound good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lacklustre highs, terrible mids, overpowering bass.
    /thread
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Blasphemy against all audiophiles.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Might not be to your tastes but i got a pair of them last year and they're brilliant.

• 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Dre's actually been pictured using Sony and Audio Technica headphones for studio work, ironically he's been seen using the latter after releasing his own line of studio headphones.
    indeed, but headphones are not used often.

Monitors are used 95% of the time. Headphones merely to test a mix, often the final bounce.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sound and vision threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.