What brand is better Samsung or Sony

Needs to be LED and 100HRZ. Budges is £600
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    Need a new TV for PS3 and general use

What brand is better Samsung or Sony

Needs to be LED and 100HRZ. Budges is £600
    Unless you can get a sony on some kind of special offer, i'd say samsung. sony is waaaaaaaay over-priced.

I've got a samsung which i've had for like 4 years and it's still going strong. I use it for ps3 and pc so it gets alot of use.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh-my-diddy)
    Unless you can get a sony on some kind of special offer, i'd say samsung. sony is waaaaaaaay over-priced.

I've got a samsung which i've had for like 4 years and it's still going strong. I use it for ps3 and pc so it gets alot of use.
    Hmm thanks

I want a 40 inches TV. Argos are doing some good deals but not sure about which brand to go for.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    Hmm thanks

I want a 40 inches TV. Argos are doing some good deals but not sure about which brand to go for.
    Best samsung i could find at argos with 100hz:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...7C16180235.htm

If you really want sony this one has 50hz:

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just so you know, that Samsung D5520 is technically only 50hz with "100 Clear Motion Rate". It confuses my customers, and the people I work with no end. And apparently Argos. It's really deceptive marketing. That said, the D5520 is really nice for the money, it's just not 100hz!

LG is doing it too, with their Motion Clarity Index. It's a cheap way for them to 'boost' their spec without actually doing much at all.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeekyJames)
    Just so you know, that Samsung D5520 is technically only 50hz with "100 Clear Motion Rate". It confuses my customers, and the people I work with no end. And apparently Argos. It's really deceptive marketing. That said, the D5520 is really nice for the money, it's just not 100hz!

LG is doing it too, with their Motion Clarity Index. It's a cheap way for them to 'boost' their spec without actually doing much at all.
    Thanks for that!

So why do they say it's 100 hz when it is clearly not
    So what one would you recommend?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh-my-diddy)
    Best samsung i could find at argos with 100hz:

If you really want sony this one has 50hz:

Yeah i am staying away from Sony. Might go Samsung and Panosonic if i can get it for a good price!

Will you notice the difference between 50 and 100 hz?
    • 82 followers

ReputationRep:
    get a plasma for gaming no input lag
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/panason...lrllt&istBid=t

46". 1080p. 600Hz. 3D. Plasma. £548.

Honestly, for that price, you'd be crazy to get anything else. Unless, of course, 46" is far too big for where your planning.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/panason...lrllt&istBid=t

46". 1080p. 600Hz. 3D. Plasma. £548.

Honestly, for that price, you'd be crazy to get anything else. Unless, of course, 46" is far too big for where your planning.
    Isnt Led better than Plasma though for gaming and tv. That's what i heard anyway
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Unless you will be doing 3D gaming (and getting a 3D TV) then the console will only output in 50hz as far as I know, and the TV's built in tech to 'convert' 50hz to 100hz should be disabled when gaming as it increases input lag.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    Isnt Led better than Plasma though for gaming and tv. That's what i heard anyway
    Perhaps, but this is a £1500 plasma reduced massively. The equivalent priced LED TV (£600) won't be able to touch it. I use a Panasonic plasma for gaming / TV / PC and I would highly recommend it.
    • 82 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    no way is led better than plasma in anyway except efficency
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    So basically I should look for a plasma, 200 hz tv rather than an led 1080 100 hz tv?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    And the potential for screen burn. Panasonic's are much better than the respective models from Samsung or LG for image retention though. The cheap Samsung plasmas I've seen at work are awful.

If you're going to buy a plasma, then stick with Panasonic. I doubt you'll regret it. Saying that, I'd still buy an LED because as you mentioned: efficiency.
    • 82 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mmz)
    So basically I should look for a plasma, 200 hz tv rather than an led 1080 100 hz tv?
    how much cash u got to spend?
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    And the potential for screen burn. Panasonic's are much better than the respective models from Samsung or LG for image retention though.
    To add to this point:

Panasonic plasmas know when there is a still image on them for long periods of time, so they make the pixels dance around. It's quite strange to watch - kinda like having white noise on a digital image.

I accidentally left an image on for several hours when I first got my Panny (after 200 hours you're deemed pretty safe), but even that wasn't a problem. Yeah, you'll get image retention from time to time, but even now I find that's very rare.
    • 82 followers

ReputationRep:
    And the potential for screen burn. Panasonic's are much better than the respective models from Samsung or LG for image retention though. The cheap Samsung plasmas I've seen at work are awful.

If you're going to buy a plasma, then stick with Panasonic. I doubt you'll regret it. Saying that, I'd still buy an LED because as you mentioned: efficiency.

I agree that Panasonic are far ahead but in terms of efficiently i think the diff is only 20 - 40£ a year.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

Hmm not sure what to go for. A panasonic plasma or an led 100hz Samsung.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    how much cash u got to spend?
    £499-£599

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 19, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sound and vision threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.