Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rowing in the uk or us?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

My boyfriend participated at Henley, won London head last year, and placed 2nd twice in a row at Nationals in a Quad.

Is it better for him to become a successful rower in America or England?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I doubt there is anyone here who is at his level, so I suspect he'd be better off asking his coaches.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gluschel333)
    Hello!

My boyfriend participated at Henley, won London head last year, and placed 2nd twice in a row at Nationals in a Quad.

Is it better for him to become a successful rower in America or England?
    UK has good facilities, but getting the right support can be quite difficult and quite expensive, and if heard of olympic hopefuls not being able to get good sponsorship or good access to good rowing centres, training programs and staff, who then either have to pay for it themselves or if the cant afford it have to brush such an opportunity aside.

I cannot comment on the US standard of training; they seem to be very good as there are a good many US teams that compete at Henley every year. What I can say, is the access to support is greater as relatively speaking, "crew" in the US is a bigger sport than "rowing" in the UK, especially at uni level and beyond, despite rowing often being perhaps considered as "quintessentially English". There is also greater access to funding and sponsorship for sport all round in the US, due to greater private investment than in the UK.

Generally, a handful of friends and friends of friends athletes who have made the transition to the US have done quite well, but I appreciate this isn't always the case. I'm assuming that your bf competes at a very high level, so he probably wouldn't have too much trouble over there, but that's a decision you need to make. Good luck.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 5, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.