Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Driving Test Help + Hints !!

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I have my driving test on the 25th of this month. Due to costs it is pretty crucial I pass first time or my dad will kill me. Is there any tips anyone could give me ? especially with manoeuvers... any help at all would be appreciated! even if its just little things that went wrong in your experience
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! I'm sure you will pass first time because mine went awful and I still passed! I went the wrong way, stalled and bumped the curb twice lol! just be polite and calm, learn your stuff for the questions as this will give a good first impression and look in your mirrors really obviously
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably best to stop worrying that your Dad will kill you - If you're worrying, nerves will get hold of you. No one is going to be annoyed if you don't pass first time - Speak to your dad about it to take some of the pressure off, perhaps?

Other than that, keep a cool head and don't ever think 'I've failed' if you think you've done something wrong, just keep going - Don't try looking at the board the instructor is writing on, either!

If you don't pass first time, file it under experience and save up for another go.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kirsti,

Just treat the test as another lesson, keep as calm as possible your going to be nervous as it's a big day but use the nerves to your advantage, they get the adrenalin going and keep you focused on the job in hand.
    Try not to put too much emphasis on the manoeuvres as this is only a tiny part of the test, the examiners are looking for control, accuracy and effective observations throughout the manoeuvre, the latter being the most important.
    If you have been having lessons with an instructor, he/she should have explained what will happen on the day of the test and possible have done a mock test?
    Listen to what the examiner is saying to you and remember they are not looking for perfection, they appreciate your nervous and realise you will make mistakes but as long as those mistakes are minor driving faults then you will be fine.

Best of luck,
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for replying!! I guess i can only try my best and its not the end of the world if I fail, but yeah i should try stay positive!

I did a mock test yesterday and I would have failed as I thought this road was a 30mph when in actual fact it was a 60. It had a lot of really sharp bends and the road was narrow so it was an easy mistake to make. Also a couple of unneccesary signals when pulling up to park and I mucked up going on to a slip road to join the dual carriageway.

I only have one more lesson before the test (2hr lesson) so hopefully that will be enough.

aaah, fingers crossed i pass (yn)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you've picked up on the errors from your mock, that will have been a great learning experience. My instructor never mentioned or proposed doing a mock test, so I don't have any personal experience of one, but if you know what to work on now, it sounds good.

As others have said:
    - Try to stay calm. Don't put additional pressure on yourself. Focus on showing the examiner what you can do.
    - Don't give up. I thought I had mucked mine up after I tried to pull away in 3rd gear! Never done that before and I obviously stalled. I did my observations and managed to move off safely, without disrupting the traffic, but it played on my mind. If you make any mistakes, just try to forget them and focus on doing the best you can for the rest of your test. People talk about how a minor can then snowball into a major if you get distracted/hung up on it.
    - Do what you need to do to relax. Eg, talk to the examiner, if that is something that will put you at ease. I chatted to mine about the area and my course etc. It helped me relax.
    - Mirrors/observations. Big one. Move your head, not just your eyes, and remember to check your mirrors whenever something changes eg, speed.

Good luck.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    remember the golden rule:

When reversing round the corner, always keep reversing when you see a car coming

just kidding i was being really mean, always stop and let them pass

btw if it helps, I passed first time :danceboy:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is there a manoeuvre in particular your worried about or just the whole idea of doing a manoeuvre? Also what car are you learning in
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirsti)
    Thanks everyone for replying!! I guess i can only try my best and its not the end of the world if I fail, but yeah i should try stay positive!

I did a mock test yesterday and I would have failed as I thought this road was a 30mph when in actual fact it was a 60. It had a lot of really sharp bends and the road was narrow so it was an easy mistake to make. Also a couple of unneccesary signals when pulling up to park and I mucked up going on to a slip road to join the dual carriageway.

I only have one more lesson before the test (2hr lesson) so hopefully that will be enough.

aaah, fingers crossed i pass (yn)
    2 hour lesson before a test in 3 weeks?

You've said money is tight but surely a couple more lessons couldn't hurt to ensure you haven't wasted the £60 plus hire of your instructors car?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The driving test is just the same as you're actual driving lessons, i had my test last month and failed LOL! I hit the kerb when i was doing parallel parking - but i only got 4 minors. My test was meant to be yesterday but it got cancelled because of the snow so ive been looking for cancellations since yesterday but can't find any.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A few tips,

Everyone says this, and I didn't realise how true it was until it happened to me. Even if you think you've failed, act as if you haven't. I thought I'd failed about 10 minutes in but I ended up passing.

Check mirrors. I thought I was doing this every 5 seconds and still got 2 minors for mirrors.

Try and give the examiner the overall impression of being a safe driver eg. not slowing down too violently

Hope this helps!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    move your mirror (the one that ur supposed to keep lukin at) if you move it a little so that you can't see it you will have to keep moving your head up to look in the mirror this will impress the driver instructor because you'll keep moving you head to check your mirror
    hope this will help you if it makes any sense to you!! GOOD LUCK!!!!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you don't feel like you're ready then re-schedule. And if your Dad is putting so much pressure on you to pass, well that's not going to help is it? As someone else has said, pretend it's just a lesson with a different instructor. But make conversation with them, it'll put you at ease - they're not all horrible!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I have my driving test on the 25th of this month. Due to costs it is pretty crucial I pass first time or my dad will kill me. Is there any tips anyone could give me ? especially with manoeuvers... any help at all would be appreciated! even if its just little things that went wrong in your experience
    Try not to feel that you desperately have to pass. Obviously, the money may be an issue and that's between you and your father but don't set yourself up to feel like a failure if you don't manage it first time. As I understand it, over 50% don't pass first time. I took two tries to pass.

And again, even if you're sure you've failed, keep doing your best. I stopped in a yellow box junction on my second test and still somehow ended up passing. And even if you're confident you've made a serious error (or whatever it's called), the remainder of the test is the best practice you'll get for when you try again.

I know it's nerveracking but look around at everyone you see - 90% of them will have gone through the same experience as you and come out with their license.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyhornby)
    Is there a manoeuvre in particular your worried about or just the whole idea of doing a manoeuvre? Also what car are you learning in
    left reverse and parallel park. left reverse more so. + a vauxhall corsa

thanks every for your replies!! reading them all has helped to calm me down a bit. I spoke to my dad and he said not too worry if I dont pass first time so thats also put me at ease and i've manged to get another lesson! yipeee.

it will be such a nerve racking day (as it is for everyone!!) but its just one of those things i guess! i'm quite excited. hopefully luck will be on my side come the big day!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    1) Don't panic! That's the worst thing you could do. Focus on each direction individually and carry them out without worrying about anything else. If you think you've made a mistake, don't dwell on it, just carry on.

2) Slow is much better than rushed. Don't hesitate too much and make decisions readily, but take your time and don't rush, particularly on the manoeuvre.

3) Remember that it's not the end of the world if you do fail. Less than half of people pass first time, so try and think that it's just a bonus if you do!

I felt kind of numb throughout my test (I passed last month); I just followed directions, did as I was told and before I knew it I was pulling into the test centre again. Afterwards I was wondering what all the fuss was about, so try not to worry about it
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    as extricated told me

do every past papers available

this includes all the past papers of the company you are doing the driving test with....other past papers of other companies and other papers from other countries<<IMO standard....do this if your aiming around 100%
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TottmonBL)
    Good luck!

(Original post by Lionsy)
    If you don't pass first time, file it under experience and save up for another go.

(Original post by andyhornby)
    Kirsti,

Best of luck,

(Original post by affinity89)
    Try and give the examiner the overall impression of being a safe driver eg. not slowing down too violently

Hope this helps!

(Original post by Jerry)
    GOOD LUCK!!!!

(Original post by SilverDoe21)
    1) Don't panic! I felt kind of numb throughout my test (I passed last month); I just followed directions, did as I was told and before I knew it I was pulling into the test centre again. Afterwards I was wondering what all the fuss was about, so try not to worry about it

(Original post by Rahul.S)
    as extricated told me

do every past papers available

just to let everyone know that I PASSED with 3 minors! I got them in the last 5-10 minutes which was gutting but yaaaay! im so happy thankyou everyone for your advice!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try to keep calm, if you feel like you've made a mistake, just carry on and forget about it. I thought I'd made a mistake not turning my indicator off when pulled over, but I wasn't pulled up on it.

Instructors/examiners want you to pass, so don't worry too much. Also, in the independent driving section yo can ask for directions as much as you like, it doesn't matter.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    just to let everyone know that I PASSED with 3 minors! I got them in the last 5-10 minutes which was gutting but yaaaay! im so happy thankyou everyone for your advice!
    smashed it!!!

:party:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 26, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.