Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you act towards people you dislike?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Civil towards them but then have a nice bitch behind their back...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I always try to be as nice as I can be to people if they're only irritating, but without indicating that I want to spend any more time with them than I have to.

If I disapprove of them morally or just think they're incredible d-bags then I'll acknowledge them when they directly make contact with me, but other than that try to stay away from them.

However, if I am in a situation where somebody is being unnecessarily rude to somebody I like then I try to say as politely as I can that they are being rude and that they should stop it, though I always try not to be rude myself, say things that aren't true as then I'd lose my credibility in any argument I may put forward. I think what I try to do is difuse the situation unless something really needs to be done and distance myself as much as possible from people I don't like without being rude.

Edit: I also have a tendancy to bitch behind peoples backs, which I do feel bad about, but at least it helps me be decent in person? I know that makes me a person I probably would think is morally questionable, but I accept that about myself. I go to an all girls school. Bitching is necessary to live.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Act civil but if they have really done something to annoy me then I'd prefer to pretend not to notice them if possible, but if it's not easy to ignore/pretend I haven't seen them then I do the customary greet and smile.

Unless its my sibling, in which case they get the whole sarcasm treatment

(Original post by RobertWhite)
    +1 I always seem calm but tend to vent things out by ranting to my best friends afterwards haha. Also have some passive aggressive tendencies. So if they have really riled me off then if they need me, I'll just happen to be 'busy'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    anything is better then acting "normal" cos i'd hate it if someone was smiling and laughing with me and they hated me in the inside
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ignore them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobertWhite)
    Man up.

Bitching is for females.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HSG1992)
    Man up.

Bitching is for females.
    Sorry, I'll do exactly as you say and not... bitch about you...

:P
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Act civil but if they have really done something to annoy me then I'd prefer to pretend not to notice them if possible, but if it's not easy to ignore/pretend I haven't seen them then I do the customary greet and smile.

Unless its my sibling, in which case they get the whole sarcasm treatment

+1 I always seem calm but tend to vent things out by ranting to my best friends afterwards haha. Also have some passive aggressive tendencies. So if they have really riled me off then if they need me, I'll just happen to be 'busy'.
    Haha exactly what I'd do
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I have to talk to them then I will but usually I'd just ignore them.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    stab them in the neck
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.
    Oscar Wilde
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends on why I dislike them.

Most of the time, I am civil to them. I cannot be too friendly with them though.

If they've really upset me, I choose to have no contact with them whatsoever.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Depends, if they're doing something that affects my life negatively, I'll try make their life a living hell, if I just dislike them a bit, I'll avoid them and tell my friends to dislike them also.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    People i dislike are dead to me
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like everyone so I do not know how I would act
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    no funny business...
    just say it straight face, tactlessness is the way to go!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just try and avoid them, or if i can't just be civil. Depends how bad the dislike is and why. I tend not to find very many people annoying though. I don't mind excessively loud people, where most have found them annoying for e.g. It all just washes over me. When I dislike someone it's usually because they are sadistic/bullying types or have done something morally reprehensible.
    Sometimes I can't control my facial expressions however, and end up giving the people i have disliked contemptuous looks, when I don't mean to (or rather, don't want to reveal my true feelings). This has gotten me into trouble in the past.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just behave civilly towards them if I'm in a situation where I can't really avoid them. Although tbh at the moment, with the people who I hang out/work we're all pretty close knit, so there's no dislike or bitchery between us.

EDIT: Cheers for the neg, what was so offensive?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't interact with them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If its someone I have to deal with regularly eg a friend of a friend then I just put up with it and act as if I like them. If it is someone I can avoid then I just avoid them, if they talk to me I am polite. Once in a while I dislike someone so much that I can't bear to hold my feelings in and then I am a little rude if they speak to me but I still would avoid them if possible.

If someone is pissing me off by what they are doing at that moment, I have a strong facial expression which I use on whoever it is. Its especially useful to use on children when their parents are around or mates girlfriends.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 23, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.